The Student Room Group

NEED Help deciding my a levels

hi
i live in birmingham and i need to choose a levels for next year. i want to do archotecture in cambridge if i can but i want to secure good and helpful a levels.
i want to go cadbury sixthform as my first choice but need help to choose others, also i dont have a gsce for art as we cant do it at school.
i am wanting to do art (without gsce) but then decided specifically 3d design.
so i choose 3d design, maths and computer science and criminology/law if i can do a 4th a level, its just a passion not really for architecture.
im having trouble with finding good sixthform that gives these specific details and if these a levels are good enough (the first three) for me to go cambridge
thank you
any comments are useful😏😔🥹😜
ZAK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JF ZAK
hi
i live in birmingham and i need to choose a levels for next year. i want to do archotecture in cambridge if i can but i want to secure good and helpful a levels.
i want to go cadbury sixthform as my first choice but need help to choose others, also i dont have a gsce for art as we cant do it at school.
so i choose 3d design, maths and computer science and criminology/law if i can do a 4th a level, its just a passion not really for architecture.
im having trouble with finding good sixthform that gives these specific details and if these a levels are good enough (the first three) for me to go cambridge
thank you
ZAK

Criminology is not an A-level, so I would doubt Cambridge would accept it. I would look at the entry requirements for architecture at Cambridge which can be found here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/architecture_subject_requirements.pdf
Original post by JF ZAK
hi
thank you
ZAK

Have a look at the A levels for Architecture thread, which lists all RIBA-approved courses and the subject requirements (if there are any). :smile:
Reply 3
You need to look at more than just Cambridge.
As above, check the entry requirements for Architecture at a range of different Unis.

With no GCSE Art you may not be able to do A level Art at school/college - and btw, at A level this is a demanding, time consuming subject. Some Unis will accept a Design subject instead so check carefully. Another option is to focus on other subjects for A level and then do a one year Art & Design Foundation Diploma before Uni - see Art & Design Foundation Diplomas (Art foundation) (thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk).

As above, do not pick Criminology. Its a daft WJEC Diploma course, not an A level - and many top Unis will not accept it.
If you think you might eventually opt for Law, you do no need 'relevant' A levels - there are no subject requirements for Law. Some people find an essay based subject is useful - History, Sociology, English etc - but this is not essential.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
As above, check the entry requirements for Architecture at a range of different Unis.

With no GCSE Art you may not be able to do A level Art at school/college - and btw, at A level this is a demanding, time consuming subject. Some Unis will accept a Design subject instead so check carefully. Another option is to focus on other subjects for A level and then do a one year Art & Design Foundation Diploma before Uni - see Art & Design Foundation Diplomas (Art foundation) (thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk).

As above, do not pick Criminology. Its a daft WJEC Diploma course, not an A level - and many top Unis will not accept it.
If you think you might eventually opt for Law, you do no need 'relevant' A levels - there are no subject requirements for Law. Some people find an essay based subject is useful - History, Sociology, English etc - but this is not essential.

i know criminiology isnt accepted but it was a choice for passion
yes i am look at more unis other than cambridge
i have but colleges at birmingham ae quite limiting
i was wondering if 3d design, maths and computer design were good for architeture and cambridge level as its my main uni choice
thanks for reply
Reply 5
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Criminology is not an A-level, so I would doubt Cambridge would accept it. I would look at the entry requirements for architecture at Cambridge which can be found here:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/architecture_subject_requirements.pdf

i have thanks for the advice
Original post by JF ZAK
Original post by McGinger

i was wondering if 3d design, maths and computer design were good for architeture and cambridge level as its my main uni choice
thanks for reply

I probably wouldn’t do computer science just because it wouldn’t be seen as relevant for cambridge. Try go for an essay based subject or humanities if not physics
Reply 7
Original post by jacobwaddy1
thanks for reply

I probably wouldn’t do computer science just because it wouldn’t be seen as relevant for cambridge. Try go for an essay based subject or humanities if not physics
im good at computer science so thats why i was doing also helpful in techinical field
im very bad at english as in i can get a grade 8 9 barely in mocks but to hard as getting an A*
also can geoegraphy work
yes maybe physics it will be just thought to ask bout useful subjects
Original post by JF ZAK
thanks for reply

im good at computer science so thats why i was doing also helpful in techinical field
im very bad at english as in i can get a grade 8 9 barely in mocks but to hard as getting an A*
also can geoegraphy work

I don’t want to be the person to stop you doing what you like for alevels. It’s worth mentioning 90% of cambridge students do maths and 90% do art. Yes geography is good, I got into cambridge with alevel geography and i honestly think it’s quite useful. Are you an international student applying?
Reply 9

also can geoegraphy work

I don’t want to be the person to stop you doing what you like for alevels. It’s worth mentioning 90% of cambridge students do maths and 90% do art. Yes geography is good, I got into cambridge with alevel geography and i honestly think it’s quite useful. Are you an international student applying?
no
im definetly that 90% doing maths
but as im doing triple science my schl aint let me do art
but i am do it at home and i draw anywayz
but i wanted to know if
maths and computer science were good
im going to apply next year for a levels
im goning to try and get into sixth form to do 3d design (as i can do it without art GSCE) and maths and computer science
but if i didnt get in i wanted a useful alternative
im doing a geography gsce so thats good and im doing triple science physics so if i get high ill do that
i was wondering if hey were helpful l8r on
Reply 10
is harvard a good uni for architecture
havent seen it mentioned???
Reply 11
Original post by JF ZAK
hi
thank you
ZAK

you might have decided by now but if you still need advice this is coming from someone with an offer from cambridge for architecture

you should do art so that you can develop a portfolio. it's not required but it's preferred over DT
most applicants do maths
a levels that are really specific like law and criminology are not really preffered
don't do a 4th unless your school forces you to
overall i would say the best combination is maths + art + a subject of your choice

edit: i just read your response to the previous person. maths + computer science is good. 3d design i can't comment on since my school doesnt offer it so i know nothing about it. if you aren't able to do art that's ok but make sure you start practising and drawing and making art in your own time from now onwards do you have things for your portfolio.
i still stand by not doing a 4th unless you absolutely must
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mymelo
you might have decided by now but if you still need advice this is coming from someone with an offer from cambridge for architecture

you should do art so that you can develop a portfolio. it's not required but it's preferred over DT
most applicants do maths
a levels that are really specific like law and criminology are not really preffered
don't do a 4th unless your school forces you to
overall i would say the best combination is maths + art + a subject of your choice

edit: i just read your response to the previous person. maths + computer science is good. 3d design i can't comment on since my school doesnt offer it so i know nothing about it. if you aren't able to do art that's ok but make sure you start practising and drawing and making art in your own time from now onwards do you have things for your portfolio.
i still stand by not doing a 4th unless you absolutely must

k
thank u
that was very helpful
Original post by JF ZAK
hi
thank you
ZAK

Criminology is not an A-level
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by namagama37
Criminology is not an A-level

i knw i heard was gonna do it for fouth a level if i could i heard its called a wejc or something like that
Original post by JF ZAK
i knw i heard was gonna do it for fouth a level if i could i heard its called a wejc or something like that

The exam board is WJEC, it is a level 3 qualification (applied certificate & diploma)
Reply 16
Hey!

Similar to other people who have given advice in this thread, it's probably best that you don't choose Criminology as a 4th A level. Not only is it not very highly regarded by universities, but having an extra A level means extra workload that may affect your other subjects, though if you can cope with the workload and find it worthwhile it may be rewarding.

The traditional combination for Architecture is Maths, Physics and Art, though generally there are generally no specific subject requirements for Architecture in the UK. Some, such as University of Bath, may prefer subjects such as Maths, but not for all unis. A few Cambridge colleges prefer it if you do Physics and/ or Maths, but it's not a deal breaker. I would recommend doing Maths, Art and another subject that is humanities/ STEM perhaps. These will depend on how strong you are on each of your chosen subjects, bearing in mind that A level is more time-consuming and challenging than GCSEs, so choose wisely.

For 3D Design, I would personally go for Art instead if you're applying to universities such as Cambridge (if your school offers it). They are more of a traditional and academic institution, so having Art over 3D Design would align more with what they expect and lend more credibility over a course that they may not be familiar with. Of course, take this with a grain of salt if you are truly passionate about it, but it's worth bearing in mind.

On the bright side, as Architecture is so interdisciplinary, subject choices are relatively flexible! As long as your grades and portfolio are good to go, it should hopefully go well. All the best!
Original post by Nomawoj
The traditional combination for Architecture is Maths, Physics and Art, though generally there are generally no specific subject requirements for Architecture in the UK.

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. Only a few of the 50+ RIBA-approved architecture courses in the UK require maths and/or physics. The maths/physics/art combo is a myth we are trying to dispel so that students don't take subjects they may struggle with and end up not achieving the relatively high grades they need for architecture. :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Reply 18
Original post by normaw
You seem to be contradicting yourself here. Only a few of the 50+ RIBA-approved architecture courses in the UK require maths and/or physics. The maths/physics/art combo is a myth we are trying to dispel so that students don't take subjects they may struggle with and end up not achieving the relatively high grades they need for architecture. :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

My bad, I should've clarified a bit clearer!

I agree - when I said traditionally, I meant that this is the subject combo that people normally think Architecture requires (but shouldn't always be the case).

That's why I mentioned how subjects chosen can be flexible and it depends on how confident they are with each subject ("These will depend on how strong you are on each of your chosen subjects, bearing in mind that A level is more time-consuming and challenging than GCSEs, so choose wisely."; Architecture is so interdisciplinary, subject choices are relatively flexible!)
Reply 19
Original post by flowersinmyhair
The exam board is WJEC, it is a level 3 qualification (applied certificate & diploma)

i knw thats y i was gonna do it for 4th a level

Quick Reply

Latest