The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking A-Level Maths in a gap year

Hello! I want to do Computer Science at university. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take A-Level Maths at Sixth Form due to them having GCSE requirements I couldn't quite reach due to being in Foundation. I want to go to a very good, well-known university that I can be proud I went to, but my options are limited due to many of the best universities in the country asking for A-Level Maths.

Do you think it's worth taking? I may have one less year to do it, but I have two fewer A-Levels to worry about and a lot more free time.
What do you think? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
100% go for it. Maths is pretty much the only thing that universities really care about for cs. A year is plenty of time for A level maths. At my sixth form (a top grammar school) practically everyone does 4 A levels and those doing further maths finish the A level maths content in about half a year so you can definitely manage it if it is your only subject.

As a side note, what exactly do you mean by a very good well-known uni? A lot in the ranks of oxbridge, imperial, ucl, etc may have requirements for gcse maths and they definitely prefer further maths as well for A level. Having said that, don't get discouraged as there would still be plenty of great options for you if you do the A level in maths.
Reply 2
Original post by idkwat
As a side note, what exactly do you mean by a very good well-known uni? A lot in the ranks of oxbridge, imperial, ucl, etc may have requirements for gcse maths and they definitely prefer further maths as well for A level. Having said that, don't get discouraged as there would still be plenty of great options for you if you do the A level in maths.

Sorry, I was quite unclear about that. I meant universities such as Birmingham, Southampton, Manchester, Sheffield, King's College, UCL etc. A university that is known throughout the country for it's high-achieving students and research, and that employers may see interest if it appears on my CV. I do also want to go to a university with high (or above-average) entry requirements so I can find friends in an environment of hard-working and smart people.
Reply 3
Original post by Komodo772
Sorry, I was quite unclear about that. I meant universities such as Birmingham, Southampton, Manchester, Sheffield, King's College, UCL etc. A university that is known throughout the country for it's high-achieving students and research, and that employers may see interest if it appears on my CV. I do also want to go to a university with high (or above-average) entry requirements so I can find friends in an environment of hard-working and smart people.

Ok so yes definitely do the A level maths as you won't really have a chance in those unis without it. You clearly seem quite ambitious and determined so I'm sure you'll be fine with it.
I don't know too much about the others you mentioned but with kings college and ucl you might be at a disadvantage even with maths a level because of the lack of further maths. They say they "prefer further maths but don't require it" but if you look at the stats, the percentages of non further maths students who got accepted are miniscule. Generally, if further maths a level was an option at your school they expect you to have done it.
Also, what are your other A level subjects? Top unis generally prefer sciences so if you've got physics to a good grade then you'll stand a pretty good chance.
Reply 4

A year in industry is more important than RG

Resources for Maths A level and start now: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29
Reply 5
Original post by idkwat
Also, what are your other A level subjects? Top unis generally prefer sciences so if you've got physics to a good grade then you'll stand a pretty good chance.

Comp Sci, Media Studies & Business Studies. I know. Not the best combination. Not entirely sure why I didn't choose Physics, but that mightve been since I didn't have much of an idea of what I wanted to do in university. However, when I was looking around the entry requirements for top unis I don't think I saw physics or generally any sciences as a requirement (excluding oxbridge) but usually optional. (eg. "Accepting A in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Physics")
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Comp Sci, Media Studies & Business Studies. I know. Not the best combination. Not entirely sure why I didn't choose Physics, but that mightve been since I didn't have much of an idea of what I wanted to do in university. However, when I was looking around the entry requirements for top unis I don't think I saw physics or generally any sciences as a requirement (excluding oxbridge) but usually optional. (eg. "Accepting A in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Physics")

Fair enough that you didn't choose physics. As long as you have computer science you're fine. I say they prefer sciences but if you've already got a "recommended subject" (aka computer science) then its definitely not necessary:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending