The Student Room Group

Chemical Compounds (GCSE Chemistry)

I know that a molecule is a collection of 2 or more atoms held together by chemical bonds.

But, I'm getting confused about what a compound is;

1) Some websites say that "a compound is a substance that contains atoms of two or more different elements which are chemically combined".

2) While others say that "a chemical compound is a chemical substance composed of MANY identical molecules composed of atoms from more than one element held together by chemical bonds".

Here is my question;
When you refer to a chemical compound (e.g.Carbon Dioxide ), are you referring to a SINGLE MOLECULE of Carbon Dioxide
OR
are you referring to LOTS AND LOTS of MOLECULES of Carbon Dioxide?

Thank you...
Reply 1
I believe that carbon dioxide on its own (not lots of carbon dioxides) is a chemical compound but you should probably ask your teacher they will know best.
When you say a single molecule of carbon dioxide, then it’s a single molecule of carbon dioxide.

When you just say carbon dioxide, it doesn’t specify how many molecules of carbon dioxide - so could be one or many. The fact that they don’t specify how many molecules probably means that the information is irrelevant to the question they are about to ask.

And yes, Carbon dioxide is a compound, made up of one carbon and 2 oxygens.
Reply 3
Original post by John Wick11
When you say a single molecule of carbon dioxide, then it’s a single molecule of carbon dioxide.

When you just say carbon dioxide, it doesn’t specify how many molecules of carbon dioxide - so could be one or many. The fact that they don’t specify how many molecules probably means that the information is irrelevant to the question they are about to ask.

And yes, Carbon dioxide is a compound, made up of one carbon and 2 oxygens.

Okay, thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest