The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Old Cartoons Review

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr T 999
That's the best version of Dennis the mennace! Not this cgi crap we have now.

I agree. I understand why CGI is almost used for animated series, but the lovely detail as in drawn series by hand is missing. A crap put it in a nutshell. The most important reason why I like old cartoons and why I still prefer them.

Original post by Kernel_Coder
One of my favourites from my 90's childhood days:

Wonder what you think of it? :smile:

Honestly I did not watched the X-Men animated series as a child, not even as a teen, simply because I did not know it existed. I catched them up later in adult ages and I think it is still a good one up to this day. Do you know Batman TAS and Superman TAS by any chance?
Original post by Kallisto
Now that you mentioned it, there was another Dennis Cartoon indeed. Guess this was the one you meant.

Is this the animated series you watched?

Loved this growing up 😁
Original post by quasa
Loved this growing up 😁

Yep, this Dennis version is good too, although it will never achieved the cult status as the 1986 release. By the way does a difference in the title exist? I can't find an article on wikipedia, I get always send to the 1986 series...
Yep, this Dennis version is good too, although it will never achieved the cult status as the 1986 release. By the way does a difference in the title exist? I can't find an article on wikipedia, I get always send to the 1986 series...

Try looking for beano Dennis the menace or UK Dennis the menace (didn't like the American version tbh).

The 90s cartoon is called Dennis the menace and gnasher
Honestly I did not watched the X-Men animated series as a child, not even as a teen, simply because I did not know it existed. I catched them up later in adult ages and I think it is still a good one up to this day. Do you know Batman TAS and Superman TAS by any chance?

You missed on xmen 90s series by far one of the best xmen cartoons there is and a catchy theme too.

If you watched batman tas have you watched gargoyles? It's an awesome show and very similar to batman in terms of atmosphere and dark setting.
I used to watch a lot of cartoons growing up aha, most of them being a mixture of 90's and 2000's ones.

X-Men 90's
Spider-Man 90's
Hulk 90's
Fantastic Four 90's
Iron Man 90's
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Spongebob Squarepants- (Mainly seasons 1-4)
Fairly Odd Parents(Mainly the earlier seasons)
Tom and Jerry
Scooby-Doo
Powerpuff Girls
Cramp Twins
Samurai Jack
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Codename Kids Next Door
Courage The Cowardly Dog
Teen Titans
Johnny Bravo
Ed Edd'n'Eddy
Ben 10
Johnny Test
Danny Phantom
Looney Tunes
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters
Dragonball Z
TMNT (4kids version)
Sonic X
Phineas and Ferb
Bobobobo-bo-bo(It was crazy but hilarious)
Original post by Mr T 999
You missed on xmen 90s series by far one of the best xmen cartoons there is and a catchy theme too.

If you watched batman tas have you watched gargoyles? It's an awesome show and very similar to batman in terms of atmosphere and dark setting.

Of course! The monsters who turn into stone at day light and come back to life at night. The mysterious middle age touch framed the dark atmosphere perfectly.
Of course! The monsters who turn into stone at day light and come back to life at night. The mysterious middle age touch framed the dark atmosphere perfectly.

gargoyles was great (forgot that was 90s). greg weisman knows how to make good cartoons
Original post by Shafy97
I used to watch a lot of cartoons growing up aha, most of them being a mixture of 90's and 2000's ones.

X-Men 90's
Spider-Man 90's
Hulk 90's
Fantastic Four 90's
Iron Man 90's
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Spongebob Squarepants- (Mainly seasons 1-4)
Fairly Odd Parents(Mainly the earlier seasons)
Tom and Jerry
Scooby-Doo
Powerpuff Girls
Cramp Twins
Samurai Jack
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Codename Kids Next Door
Courage The Cowardly Dog
Teen Titans
Johnny Bravo
Ed Edd'n'Eddy
Ben 10
Johnny Test
Danny Phantom
Looney Tunes
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monsters
Dragonball Z

TMNT (4kids version)
Sonic X
Phineas and Ferb
Bobobobo-bo-bo(It was crazy but hilarious)

That is fine and dandy, but you know that animes are also in your list? they are different to cartoons, as they are produced in Japan.

Original post by quasa
gargoyles was great (forgot that was 90s). greg weisman knows how to make good cartoons

You are right. Is it a coincidence that David Xanatos looks exactly (!) like Jonathan Frakes from Star Trek?
That is fine and dandy, but you know that animes are also in your list? they are different to cartoons, as they are produced in Japan.

You are right. Is it a coincidence that David Xanatos looks exactly (!) like Jonathan Frakes from Star Trek?

When I used to watch the animes they were the American dub versions, so I just saw it like a cartoon like the others

Gargoyles

One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled. It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear. It was the age of gargoyles. Stone by day, warriors by night, We were betrayed by the humans we had sworn to protect, frozen in stone by a magic spell for a thousand years. Now, here in Manhattan, the spell is broken, and we live again! We are defenders of the night! We are Gargoyles!

— Goliath's Opening Narration

We had talked about this cartoon the last time and finally I have got the time to report it!

The gargoyles are a species of nocturnal creatures they turn into stone the day and back to warriors at night. In 994 they live in a castle in Scotland and defend the occupants against the siege of the vikings. A betrayal led to the destruction of gargoyles in a great number at daylight and a misunderstanding ended up that the remained clan were cursed by a magic spell to be frozen in stone form and will be broken when the castle „rises above the clouds“. Thousand years later, in 1994, the billionaire David Xanathos purchases the castle and reconstructed the whole building atop of his skyscraper Eyrie buildung what makes the gargoyles new alive. Lead by Goliath, they have to adjust to the changed new world and the sympathetic female police officer Eliza helps them, while David Xanathos has his own plans with the night creatures.

It is a great animated series till this day! the (main) characters have their subtle traits that it needs episodes by episodes to really grasp their personalities, Xanathos and Demona are mentioned particularly. The plot is a fascinating incorporation with supernatural threats in modern world. It changes between past and presence, from middle ages to 20th century, in short: the narration about the gargoyles is a good mix. The sinister aspect of this TV show undderlines the creepy atmosphere which is always present. That is one of the Disney cartoons I was very addicted to. That means I swtiched on the TV in time not even to miss a second, not even the impressive opening. In retrospective it is a timeless cartoon series even 26 years after the release.

I am still keen on Gargoyles, it is so good that even a matured adult would like it. It can be mentioned in the same breath with Archer and Bojack Horseman, another animated series released for the adult's taste. I am so happy that some people are here at this place who have watched and not forgotten this fantastic cartoon. In conclusion there is nothing but to say that Gargoyles is a reminder of the good old times, when disney(!) stood for quality and varied entertainment.

@quasa and @Mr T 999 I thought that you two might be interest in...
(edited 3 years ago)

Gargoyles

We had talked about this cartoon the last time and finally I have got the time to report it!

The gargoyles are a species of nocturnal creatures they turn into stone the day and back to warriors at night. In 994 they live in a castle in Scotland and defend the occupants against the siege of the vikings. A betrayal led to the destruction of gargoyles in a great number at daylight and a misunderstanding ended up that the remained clan were cursed by a magic spell to be frozen in stone form and will be broken when the castle „rises above the clouds“. Thousand years later, in 1994, the billionaire David Xanathos purchases the castle and reconstructed the whole building atop of his skyscraper Eyrie buildung what makes the gargoyles new alive. Lead by Goliath, they have to adjust to the changed new world and the sympathetic female police officer Eliza helps them, while David Xanathos has his own plans with the night creatures.

It is a great animated series till this day! the (main) characters have their subtle traits that it needs episodes by episodes to really grasp their personalities, Xanathos and Demona are mentioned particularly. The plot is a fascinating incorporation with supernatural threats in modern world. It changes between past and presence, from middle ages to 20th century, in short: the narration about the gargoyles is a good mix. The sinister aspect of this TV show undderlines the creepy atmosphere which is always present. That is one of the Disney cartoons I was very addicted to. That means I swtiched on the TV in time not even to miss a second, not even the impressive opening. In retrospective it is a timeless cartoon series even 26 years after the release.

I am still keen on Gargoyles, it is so good that even a matured adult would like it. It can be mentioned in the same breath with Archer and Bojack Horseman, another animated series released for the adult's taste. I am so happy that some people are here at this place who have watched and not forgotten this fantastic cartoon. In conclusion there is nothing but to say that Gargoyles is a reminder of the good old times, when disney(!) stood for quality and varied entertainment.

very lovely writeup for a very lovely series. greg weisman is a genius when it comes to cartoons and gargoyles was his breakout. to this day, cartoons like spectacular spider-man and young justice follow a similar formula in the sense that theyre kid toons which have a tone adults enjoy a lot. also enjoyed the shakespearian undertones in gargoyles as well (a lot of characters were named after characters in macbeth and midsummers night dream ; weisman also has a habit of including some nod to shakespeare in his works (e.g. penultimate episode of spectacular spiderman was a homage to midsummers night dream)).

Gargoyles

Nice summary of the series. I personally think it should have ended at season 2, season 3 felt it was dragged out too much and there wasn't much of a story from that point. It's still nontheless one of my favs cartoon. The series is easily comparable to batman tas.

I feel cartoons in the 90s were more creative and able to approach themes that may not seem appropriate today because of the sjw pc culture which too me has ruined cartoons, it also explains why cartoons nowadays suck and don't even compete to some masterpieces in the past.
I can't promise when the next reviews about old cartoons come (try to upload one of them next week), but these three are in making (or planned at least):

Widget, the Worldwatcher

Captain Planet

Mega Man (TAS)

@AngryJellyfish I really admire your passion and time you invest in your anime pre- and reviews. Just realize how difficult it is to be ongoing with this project. If you have any good advices for me, you have my deepest gratitude! :redface:
@AngryJellyfish I really admire your passion and time you invest in your anime pre- and reviews. Just realize how difficult it is to be ongoing with this project. If you have any good advices for me, you have my deepest gratitude! :redface:

I like the format you've been going with so far - video, title, short summary of the series, and some facts mixed in with your personal thoughts. Not too long or too short, makes for very easy reading. :yes: I sometimes wonder if I'm rambling too much in my anime preview threads, but it's hard to know when next to nobody replies to them - in that sense, your thread is already doing better than mine! :colondollar:

Captain Planet

Our world is in peril. Gaia, the spirit of the Earth, can no longer stand the terrible destruction plaguing our planet. She sends five magic rings to five special young people: Kwame, from Africa, with the power of Earth... From North America, Wheeler, with the power of Fire... From the Soviet Union/Eastern Europe, Linka, with the power of Wind. From Asia, Gi, with the power of Water... and from South America, Ma-Ti, with the power of Heart. When the five powers combine, they summon Earth's greatest champion, Captain Planet.

- Opening Narration

We go back to the 90s, when TV series about environmental pollution were in trend (as in The Little Flying Bears ), so Captain Planet too. Gaia, the spirit of the planet earth, can no longer accept the destruction by the humans and sends five rings with different powers to five young people, the planeteers. Equipped with these special powers, the planeteers can change the living conditions on earth for better. If they combine their powers in a desperate situation, captain planet appears and saves the day.

Captain Planet had this touch of an instructive cartoon to teach viewers a lesson. And indeed the series had special things for a theme: dealing with drugs and AIDS to name but a few. The edcuational goal is evidently in another episodes about environmental disasters: pollution, poaching, deforestation, atomic waste, civil war and another global crisis are shown to make viewers aware of the perilled planet. What I can still remember is the planet alert, a clip which is connected to the plot of the episode and refers directly to the people who watch: environmental-political and social-political issues are introduced and solutions are shown up to make a contribution for everyone. Despite the clear messages, the series is not an educative show at all. The episodes are conceived as an adventure of five young people and a superhero with typical pattern: one of the planeteers or the whole group is in trouble and they need a plan to free, captain planet he has a weakness like Superman! - is polluted and needs help before he can save the environment. These and another situations are the parts of the show and give us a reminder that it is up to everyone to make a contribution. A cartoon that even gives the viewers an insight to the circumstances to understand the cause of the issues. And as a typical superhero-versus-villains -series, it comes to a happy end.

From all the animated series about environmentalism, this is the one with a persuative and a good entertaining concept: the plots are alright and the quintessence is unerstandable to grasp. In times of fridays for Ffture, global warming, forest fire and rising sea level this cartoon is more topical than ever. Captain Planet is like a prophecy for ecological activists who would have fun to watch. And not only those!
(edited 3 years ago)

Widget The World Watcher

One cartoon about environmental protection is done, the next follows: Widget is another example of the awareness for planet earth in the 90s and the influence on animated series. Widget is a short extraterrestrial from the planet Widget (the planet has really the same name as the protagonist!) in the constellation of orion who lands accidentally on earth. Despite this accident, he acclimatizes with his surrounding and together with young human friends and his assistant Mega Brain, the purple world watcher protects natural environment from people who intend to plunder and harm it.

A very similar cartoon to Captain Planet. The intention to teach children the dangers of pollution is obvious and like Captain Planet, Widget has a special ability he can use on his missions through the whole world to protect the living environment: as a shapeshifter he turns into different animals, living creatures and human-like forms he wants to by spinning like a top (Ben from Ben 10 is greeting!). What I remember is that Widget gets his orders by a council of elders who are watching his activities on earth all the time. That is what he has with Invader Zim in common, but with different ambitions. Widget has not the image of a superhero, he is an ordinary second class world-watcher who pushes hisself to the limits more than once to avert damages. Unlike another environmental-related cartoon series, the drastic elements don't exist, the seriousness is renounced in order to make it suitable for children's views, although it can be watched by teenagers too. And of course it comes to issues and troubles during his missions, as if it is so easily to accomplished! despite that Widget has no enemies or rivals with usually appearances, his evil twin Ratchet as villain gives him a hard time sometimes, same can be said about Dr. Dante. What really takes some getting used to is Widget's high-pitched voice in original English voice. He sounds like a Donald Duck after inhaling helium! I am not kidding you, please listen to his voice just once and you agree with me. The German synchronisation is the way better.

It is one of these cartoons that I did not forget due to nostalgia. Honestly I have not a touch to this cartoon at all. It is a good animated series for children and produced in the way that it is even suited for younger teenagers, but now 30 years after the first episode was aired, I got older and my priorities and taste changed. If someone has little kids at home, let them watch it. I think that they will like it as I did long ago when I was a child.
(edited 3 years ago)
For me it was mostly the old Cartoon Network shows from the 90’s and early 2000’s. Examples such as:

Dexter’s Laboratory
Johnny Bravo
Cow & Chicken
Courage The Cowardly Dog
Powerpuff Girls
Grim Adventures Of Billy & Mandy
Ed, Edd N Eddy

Cartoon Network also showed Tom & Jerry and a lot of the old Hanna Barbera cartoons like Scooby Doo, Flintstones and Top Cat - I grew up with all of these. As well as the Fox Kids network which showed things like Spider-Man, X-Men and Jackie Chan Adventures. :smile:
Original post by asif007
For me it was mostly the old Cartoon Network shows from the 90’s and early 2000’s. Examples such as:

Dexter’s Laboratory
Johnny Bravo
Cow & Chicken
Courage The Cowardly Dog
Powerpuff Girls
Grim Adventures Of Billy & Mandy
Ed, Edd N Eddy

Cartoon Network also showed Tom & Jerry and a lot of the old Hanna Barbera cartoons like Scooby Doo, Flintstones and Top Cat - I grew up with all of these. As well as the Fox Kids network which showed things like Spider-Man, X-Men and Jackie Chan Adventures. :smile:

Hey, there are another ones they come back into my mind, thank you! you made a helpful contribution. Watched the most of them you listed. What do you think of Top Cat? in retrospective it is the best Hanna Barbera production I can think of.

Mega Man

That is the moment I was waiting for so long, finally! it is an honour to introduce you the cartoon I was grown up and even got up in the morning on Saturday just to be in time and not to miss a single episode. Mega Man is an adapted animated show to the known same-named gaming series, and as in the games Dr. Wily makes plans to rule the world after he and his former colleague Dr. Light worked together in order to create robots to be of service to the people, but the two brilliant robot scientists went separate ways when Dr.Wily began to steal the construction plans for his own evil purposes and created many robot masters to put them into operation. In the meantime Dr.Light redesigned Rock to the fighting robot Mega Man who rivals the robot masters.

Does one of you know how it is to be binge to an animated series when the intro starts and announces a new episode of your favorite show? exactly that matches to Mega Man. From the first second to the last I was on fire. A cartoon about the games I liked to play, I was always so excited! And as in the game Mega Man's main weapon is his mega buster, also knwon as a plasma-canon in the cartoon series. The best: he is able to copy the weapons of Wily's robots by touching them. This advantageous ability helps Mega Man to overcome hairy situations sometimes. This always got me! The plots of the episodes are made like the videogames, even Rush, his robot dog, supports him in his adventures, and not only Rush: Roll, Mega Man's sister, assists him on his missions to thwarts Wily's plans. And if worse comes to worse, Eddie, a suitcase on legs (no joke, that is the designation!), intervenes and gives Mega Man energy tanks when he is in a critical state. The rivalry between him and his brother Proto Man is commonly occurring in the series. I appreciate this cartoon up to this day thanks to the cracked puns and jokes Mega Man made when he is in the battles; the silly and often outsmarted robots and added running gags makes it even better!

There is hardly something to be added! I am still a great fan of Mega Man, not only in terms of the animated series, but also the games. They gave me priceless, but precious memories and coined me in the past. It could be that I am prejudiced in my judgement, despite this I think that Mega Man is a cartoon people should watch, all the more if they are fans of the blue bomber as I am!

Quick Reply

Latest