The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Don't apply to Essex.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have the right to say whatever I want about a university that I paid money and spent a year in.

I said in my post that it's MY experience and MY opinion which I am free to express. You're free to create your own post praising Essex. I can bash the university however I want to. I think writing the post was quite beneficial for potential students actually, so they can have an honest bad review with valid points of it. If they want to look for good reviews then I'm sure there are plenty.

The campus shops don't have all the basic stuff - are you kidding? Hardly any vegetarian options. To me, Tesco is more than 15 minutes away by foot, and I'd rather not take the bus every two days carrying two heavy bags around. It's inconvenient and a big waste of my time when other places have stores much closer to campus.

I meant Colchester is boring, did you read? It's a gloomy town and you can't deny it.

If students want to just study then that's fine, I said in my post the teaching was good - everything else wasn't.

Then explain the three months of waiting for a conclusion on a report I made then, 'BigBlackCock'?

The name ends with c"L"ock. Read.

Well don't go around saying don't apply to Essex uni, because you wanted to shop every two days and the campus' "limited" stocks made you have a bad year. Most sane person does weekly big shopping at Tescos and then get bits and bobs from little shops. Your inability to plan is at show here, rather than what the campus shops lacks. If anything there are too many food outlets in campus imo and I end up getting noodles a lot lol.

Colchester isn't London. But there are plenty of things to do and the bars and nightclubs in campus are pretty good and always have stuff going on. You can go there with your mates and relax, chill out whatever. Also, there are loads of societies you can join esp. If you like sports the on campus sports facilities, gyms etc are top notch. But you know this, so I don't understand why you would be heading to town anyways, if it's "gloomy".

But hey, it's your life and I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. Good luck with your new uni and I will continue my education here. It aint LSE or Cambridge but it's pretty good for education!!
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by BigBlackClock
The name ends with c"L"ock. Read.

Well don't go around saying don't apply to Essex uni, because you wanted to shop every two days and the campus' "limited" stocks made you have a bad year. Most sane person does weekly big shopping at Tescos and then get bits and bobs from little shops. Your inability to plan is at show here, rather than what the campus shops lacks. If anything there are too many food outlets in campus imo and I end up getting noodles a lot lol.

Colchester isn't London. But there are plenty of things to do and the bars and nightclubs in campus are pretty good and always have stuff going on. You can go there with your mates and relax, chill out whatever. Also, there are loads of societies you can join esp. If you like sports the on campus sports facilities, gyms etc are top notch. But you know this, so I don't understand why you would be heading to town anyways, if it's "gloomy".

But hey, it's your life and I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. Good luck with your new uni and I will continue my education here. It aint LSE or Cambridge but it's pretty good for education!!

It's funny how you're calling me insane when you have a username that ten year olds have.

I can say whatever I want about Essex, because I paid more than nine thousand pounds for it. You're free to make your own posts praising it. And it's not just about shops, 'BigBlackClock'. Read.

Again for anyone who's looking to apply to Essex - don't. Lol it's not my ability to plan, I just don't want to carry around two heavy bags and walk twenty minutes up a hill every few days!? I don't think I want to have another burden to 'plan' out getting groceries, when other places have shops closer to campus.

Societies - every university has that.

I've been to town and saying it's gloomy is my opinion. There's one club off campus.

You haven't answered my question, why did it take them three months to conclude a report about a racist incident?
I have the right to say whatever I want about a university that I paid money and spent a year in.

I said in my post that it's MY experience and MY opinion which I am free to express. You're free to create your own post praising Essex. I can bash the university however I want to. I think writing the post was quite beneficial for potential students actually, so they can have an honest bad review with valid points of it. If they want to look for good reviews then I'm sure there are plenty.

The campus shops don't have all the basic stuff - are you kidding? Hardly any vegetarian options. To me, Tesco is more than 15 minutes away by foot, and I'd rather not take the bus every two days carrying two heavy bags around. It's inconvenient and a big waste of my time when other places have stores much closer to campus.

I meant Colchester is boring, did you read? It's a gloomy town and you can't deny it.

If students want to just study then that's fine, I said in my post the teaching was good - everything else wasn't.

Then explain the three months of waiting for a conclusion on a report I made then, 'BigBlackCock'?

@ the bit about racist incident, what happened?
Original post by BigBlackClock
@ the bit about racist incident, what happened?

Are you going to say it's not a priority so the wait was justified if it was only verbal abuse?
Are you going to say it's not a priority so the wait was justified if it was only verbal abuse?

the person only wants to know what happened so instead of predicting their response cant u just tell them and if u dont know leave it
Just recently enrolled into essex university too. To be honest, I dont like it here and I do want transfer uni's. Could you let me know how your process of transferring uni's went and to which uni you transferred to?

Thanks.

I have to agree with the other person, it's only £1.50 for a return on the bus to the big Tesco and most people do this once a week, I don't know what you had to buy every couple of days that was so heavy! The town is cute, for sure there's not much going on, decent bars though, but it's close to London/Chelmsford if you like livelier nightlife at least. Very cheap rent though not a bad place to be IMO
Original post by HahaAnonymous
Just recently enrolled into essex university too. To be honest, I dont like it here and I do want transfer uni's. Could you let me know how your process of transferring uni's went and to which uni you transferred to?

Thanks.

This was a while ago. It may be a different process for you since I completed a foundation year there, and you may be moving into year 2. But I know if you're going to leave after the first year, email each university to ask if they will take transfers and on what basis, and how they will accept you.
During the first lockdown they packed up all my belongings, and a meaningful item to me disappeared. I'm virtually certain it was there

During my report about assault, the investigator was degrading and blamed it on me (later denied she said it, I can't say what she said on here because it would remove my anonymity). It took 60 days to get the conclusion, I told the head this but she said it was acceptable.

DO NOT APPLY FOR ESSEX!
And forgot to mention, when I asked them, they were very rude by email. When I know it was there. And I couldn't pack it up myself because it was lockdown, and they 'had to' pack it up for us, we wouldn't do it ourselves.
I studied here last year, I am now transferring. Honestly, I can't be bothered - there's too much - to type out all the false promises this place has given me and how disappointed I was.

The things that contributed most were - taking three months to conclude an incident I reported; no adequate support for mental health; unattractive campus; everything is far from campus, the only shops on campus are small and barely have anything; boring town; teaching was just ok in my experience.

All I'm saying is please visit the university before applying.

I don't want to hear people bashing me in the comments, this is just my opinion and experience.

I agree! I am doing computer science and this uni is the worst
I agree! I am doing computer science and this uni is the worst

I'm applying for computer science how bad is the uni for cs?
I'm applying for computer science how bad is the uni for cs?

I am not sure if I have had input in this thread as I am anonymous. But I am doing Cs and Essex uni and we get given things to do but we get no help. The glas which are PhD students give us the most help and some of them are still learning them selves. First year I hadn't done programming before and couldn't set up the IDE on my laptop and the lecturer has a look and didn't get how to do it so I has to resort for YouTube for hours to get hing working. I've been set things on assignments that I haven't learned before and we struggle. And on the opposite I did an assignment didn't attempt 40% of it and got 93% on the assignment due to lazy marking. I also did another assignment they gave me 60% on and they said it was impossible to get working on there end but my boyfriend who does not know any programming set it up just fine with basic instructions included in my assignment. A couple lecturers don't reply to emails. Ever. One misses my questions in lecturers and labs and I have to spam him to get his response as he's in a rush to end the lecture. One lecturer last last term basically got mad at me and raised his voice on zoom infront of everyone as I didn't understand something. The course like what we are learning is interesting but it feels like no one cares about us students.
I am not sure if I have had input in this thread as I am anonymous. But I am doing Cs and Essex uni and we get given things to do but we get no help. The glas which are PhD students give us the most help and some of them are still learning them selves. First year I hadn't done programming before and couldn't set up the IDE on my laptop and the lecturer has a look and didn't get how to do it so I has to resort for YouTube for hours to get hing working. I've been set things on assignments that I haven't learned before and we struggle. And on the opposite I did an assignment didn't attempt 40% of it and got 93% on the assignment due to lazy marking. I also did another assignment they gave me 60% on and they said it was impossible to get working on there end but my boyfriend who does not know any programming set it up just fine with basic instructions included in my assignment. A couple lecturers don't reply to emails. Ever. One misses my questions in lecturers and labs and I have to spam him to get his response as he's in a rush to end the lecture. One lecturer last last term basically got mad at me and raised his voice on zoom infront of everyone as I didn't understand something. The course like what we are learning is interesting but it feels like no one cares about us students.

Sad to hear this, are you thinking on moving to another uni? I'm reconsidering my options to be honest after hearing a lot of essex cs students experiences. Thanks for the insight!
Sad to hear this, are you thinking on moving to another uni? I'm reconsidering my options to be honest after hearing a lot of essex cs students experiences. Thanks for the insight!

I had thought about it but I went here as I wanted to live at home as I am saving money to put a deposit down on a house, but being at the end of second year and due to covid I decided to stay, especially after last year as I didn't know what was going on. I also held hope out that this year would be better as my friend said foundation year was amazing at essex. And we all thought wow second year may be better but it never came. But my advice is keep an open mind, there are so many options and also sometimes you have to make the best of the worst situation which I have done, I have some decent friends and currently I have a good part time job which is close to home and I just dive deep and try and enjoy the modules I came here for.
During the first lockdown they packed up all my belongings, and a meaningful item to me disappeared. I'm virtually certain it was there

During my report about assault, the investigator was degrading and blamed it on me (later denied she said it, I can't say what she said on here because it would remove my anonymity). It took 60 days to get the conclusion, I told the head this but she said it was acceptable.

DO NOT APPLY FOR ESSEX!

Actually I did have a situation related to this. I knew of someone who got into a bad situation and reported it and they were afraid that the people they reported would come after them and they weren't offered any help. I also had a blind friend who tried going twice and he eventually said that he didn't feel that they had the right facilities to support him.

I had a personal issue with how they deal with mental health as my ex boyfriend goes to Essex too and he claimed he was with his Councillor who was a student as well, I knew he ended up speaking to someone in that department, and he found me on campus and shouted screamed and cried at me infront of all my friends as I had broken up with him and the Councillor watched on her phone. My family wanted to report this but I felt so embarrassed and none of my friends got heard so I didn't bother.
Things said to me during the investigation:
"We live and we learn" with a laugh after
"You should have cut them off" (people who sexually assaulted me were my friends)
"Lads"

Decide for yourself whether they cared about their students or not.
Attachment not found
complained about the university and they blocked me. student complaints blocked me. what sort of university is this?
Reply 38
I studied here last year, I am now transferring. Honestly, I can't be bothered - there's too much - to type out all the false promises this place has given me and how disappointed I was.

The things that contributed most were - taking three months to conclude an incident I reported; no adequate support for mental health; unattractive campus; everything is far from campus, the only shops on campus are small and barely have anything; boring town; teaching was just ok in my experience.

I don't want to hear people bashing me in the comments, this is just my opinion and experience.

YOU CAN TRANSFER??? Since when?
Don't get me wrong, Essex uni is a great place to learn they have all the resources that you need to do well ur coursework and exams.

However the problem with the uni is the social aspect. Nobody wants to interact with you, everyone is too scared to start a conversation. Furthermore, the University offers no interactive actives or events during the day to help combat loneliness everything is always at night!

Loneliness is a big with this university, in my own opinion
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey I know this is a really old thread, but I currently go there and I’m really struggled. Like u said everything’s far from campus, even going to Tescos takes ages. the societies aren’t that good and it’s hard to make friends here, I just feel really isolated. How were u able to survive the year if you have any advice, lol. I’m transferring next year, but that’s still a while away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending