The Student Room Group

Can I defer entry after applying

So I want to apply for this year but I have some concerns about relocating. I'm applying to the university of essex, university of East anglia , the university of Kent and university of Hertfordshire and possibly one in London.

I have recently completed an access to he course I have been putting off applying for the past 2 years due to not being able to relocate with my partner and not having a university locate to me. While this wasn't a concern as my partner had a job which paid well and he could move anywhere without worrying about changing jobs he seemed to enjoy it but he recently quit that job and although he has a new job he wouldn't be able to easily relocate and there would have to be another role available within another area. He has also applied for a council place which he would only be able to live in himself and I know it can take years to get one. While the aim was to relocate last year he pretty wasted all his savings and kept quitting jobs. I don't want to keep being inthe same position, I can't guarantee that I will be able to drive plus pay insurance. We're not married and have broken up a couple of times and have had some money issues due to my partner spending his all his wages and then asking me to cover things . I don't want to rent place with him and then get kicked out due to late bills or not being able to cover the rent .

Do I just apply for this year and ask for to be deferred if needed or just reapply next year ?
I have looked at some university websites it just outlines that some courses can be deferred after applying but I may need to reapply next year
Original post by Rose_99
So I want to apply for this year but I have some concerns about relocating. I'm applying to the university of essex, university of East anglia , the university of Kent and university of Hertfordshire and possibly one in London.

I have recently completed an access to he course I have been putting off applying for the past 2 years due to not being able to relocate with my partner and not having a university locate to me. While this wasn't a concern as my partner had a job which paid well and he could move anywhere without worrying about changing jobs he seemed to enjoy it but he recently quit that job and although he has a new job he wouldn't be able to easily relocate and there would have to be another role available within another area. He has also applied for a council place which he would only be able to live in himself and I know it can take years to get one. While the aim was to relocate last year he pretty wasted all his savings and kept quitting jobs. I don't want to keep being inthe same position, I can't guarantee that I will be able to drive plus pay insurance. We're not married and have broken up a couple of times and have had some money issues due to my partner spending his all his wages and then asking me to cover things . I don't want to rent place with him and then get kicked out due to late bills or not being able to cover the rent .

Do I just apply for this year and ask for to be deferred if needed or just reapply next year ?
I have looked at some university websites it just outlines that some courses can be deferred after applying but I may need to reapply next year

Your options would be:

Apply directly in this cycle for 2025 entry. This is easiest if you are certain that you will need a 'gap' before starting, (and if you don't get offers, gives you the chance to reapply next cycle)

Apply for 2024 entry and then ask to defer if needs be. Most unis are fine with deferrals, but it is at their discretion. Worst case, they say no but you just don't take up the 2024 place and reapply in the 2025 cycle.

Original post by Rose_99

Hiya @Rose_99 !😁
At Essex you given the opportunity to apply for 2025/2026 entry right now as well as apply to the 2024/2025 academic year and differ with a guaranty place once you came back to enrol for 2025/2026 academic year.🎓

We also have SU homes where you can rent houses with the help of the university at an affordable price.🏡
SUHomes | Lettings Agent in Essex

I hope this information helped.
If you have any questions don't hesitate in contacting me.

Essex Official Rep- Cat😊
Original post by Rose_99

Hi there,

UEA recognises that many students may choose to take a gap year or defer their year of entry, and they are generally happy to accommodate such requests for the majority of their courses.

If you decide to apply for this year and then choose to defer, it seems like a feasible option. To gain more clarity, I recommend reaching out to the admission team using the live chat feature https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/enquiries/live-chat. They'll help you out with the deferral process and answer any specific personal/ course questions.

Best,
Daniel
PhD Biology
Original post by Rose_99

Hi there :smile:

At Kent, we accept (deferred) applications to be considered for the next academic year.

"If an applicant wishes to request a deferral of entry to the following year, they need to indicate this on their application, or send a request via KentVision to the University as soon as possible. The maximum period allowed for deferral is one academic year."

You can find more information about deferred entries here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/apply/how-to-apply
If you have any queries you can also contact: [email protected] :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
We just need a Hertfordshire rep to complete the set now :smile:
Reply 6
@University of Hertfordshire Can you advise please? 🙂
Original post by Rose_99

Hi @Rose_99,
Here at Herts, most of our courses offer the option to defer - if you check for the course you're interested in on our website, you'll see the options for both 2024 and 2025 entry - where there's no option for 2025 entry, then there's no deferral available.
If you apply this year and then defer the offer of a place should circumstances change, this would mean that your place is secure for 2025. If you then changed your mind and wanted to withdraw from the deferred place and reapply in 2025 for something else, you would also have this option too.
Just to note that applications who defer or apply for deferred entry will be subject to meeting the conditions of their offer this summer - you wouldn't be able to obtain a conditional offer now and then meet the conditions in summer 2025 for example. You can also only defer an offer of a place once.
Hope this helps and that you're able to work out the best plan that gives you the most options.
If you'd like to chat to our Admissions Team, do reach out at [email protected]
Also just to mention that we're holding our next Open Day on Saturday 27 April if you wanted to come along and talk directly to course leaders - you can book here.
Wishing you all the best,
Gaynor
Marketing and Communications Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending