The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Don't apply to Essex.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #7
Hey I know this is a really old thread, but I currently go there and I’m really struggled. Like u said everything’s far from campus, even going to Tescos takes ages. the societies aren’t that good and it’s hard to make friends here, I just feel really isolated. How were u able to survive the year if you have any advice, lol. I’m transferring next year, but that’s still a while away.

Hiya 👋

Sorry to hear you've been struggling with feeling isolated at uni. Are you in your first year? What course are you on?

During the pandemic when these original post were made, it was such a tough situation to be in. All universities were struggling to figure out what to do and the student experience suffered unavoidably. Of course the OP is entitled to their opinion that Essex wasn't for them and I hope they found somewhere that they could study happily at 💜

I started at Essex in 2021 and it was a bit of a blended learning situation but we were still allowed on campus. I've enjoyed my time here and made a few friends, mostly from my course but through societies too (and I'm not that social and outgoing tbh). What societies have you checked out so far?

I've met some great people at work as well. I've got a part time job on campus as a student ambassador and having a little job is a good way to meet new people.

Have you been in touch with the wellbeing team at SWIS? If you're feeling like uni life is getting you down it's a good shout to reach out and talk about it. There's also the peer mentor and buddy scheme you can sign up for to put you in touch with other students.

I hope you're able to get settled or at least make the best of your time here if you're set on transferring but I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the year!

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #7
Hey I know this is a really old thread, but I currently go there and I’m really struggled. Like u said everything’s far from campus, even going to Tescos takes ages. the societies aren’t that good and it’s hard to make friends here, I just feel really isolated. How were u able to survive the year if you have any advice, lol. I’m transferring next year, but that’s still a while away.

stay strong, focus on yourself. i went home around march because that's when covid started, and that's when i realised i didn't want to continue my degree there. so i dont really have any advice. focus on getting good grades so you can transfer somewhere better.
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hiya 👋
Sorry to hear you've been struggling with feeling isolated at uni. Are you in your first year? What course are you on?
During the pandemic when these original post were made, it was such a tough situation to be in. All universities were struggling to figure out what to do and the student experience suffered unavoidably. Of course the OP is entitled to their opinion that Essex wasn't for them and I hope they found somewhere that they could study happily at 💜
I started at Essex in 2021 and it was a bit of a blended learning situation but we were still allowed on campus. I've enjoyed my time here and made a few friends, mostly from my course but through societies too (and I'm not that social and outgoing tbh). What societies have you checked out so far?
I've met some great people at work as well. I've got a part time job on campus as a student ambassador and having a little job is a good way to meet new people.
Have you been in touch with the wellbeing team at SWIS? If you're feeling like uni life is getting you down it's a good shout to reach out and talk about it. There's also the peer mentor and buddy scheme you can sign up for to put you in touch with other students.
I hope you're able to get settled or at least make the best of your time here if you're set on transferring but I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the year!
Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Hi Hayley,
thank you for your reply. Yes I found somewhere i was happy at, I had a much better experience and deciding to transfer 1/2 months before the academic year was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I appreciate your concern. Yes, I made the post during the pandemic. But I was talking about my experience before the pandemic started. People there were very cold, the campus wasn't good, the staff members weren't good in my experience. Of course i know this is not the universal experience of everyone there and it would depend on who you interact with.

I think I did try contacting some wellbeing team, I think there was a limit on the sessions, and when I asked about this (can't remember what I asked) to a staff member in the realm of this I got a rude reply.

i transferred a while back, and completed my degree elsewhere. I have now graduated. best wishes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending