The Student Room Group

IT with History

I'm considering doing an IT with History degree. Is this a wise move?

I originally intended to do a property degree, but based on the current state of the housing market, I'm thinking that I might put that plan on hold until postgraduate study.

IT has been my second choice career, but I don't necessarily want to end up doing helpdesk work. If I did go for the IT career, I'd want to be involved in web design, management or networks.

What do you make of the 'general' IT degrees?

Even if I decide not to work in IT, surely an IT degree would come in extremely handy in almost any career?

Also, I could get on the graduate trainee programmes the big companies offer.

Any thoughts?
Reply 1
What exactly do you cover at IT at degree level, what is the content of the course?
Reply 2
The IT degree covers the following:

(Selected modules available include)

Introduction to Information Technology, Web Design and Management, Developing and Evaluating Multimedia,
Computer Systems 1, Computer Networks, IT Training and Education,
System Analysis and Design, Database System Design and Development, Advanced Networks,
An Introduction to Computer Programming, Work Placement, Website Technology,
E-commerce Dissertation.
Reply 3
Okay, I think if you combined that with something like a CCNA or MSCA you'd be in a very good place to be a systems admin or networks guy or something
Reply 4
Do a property degree, the housing market is no reason not to do it, it won't effect your degree. The housing market is famous for having cycles, and it will always be rising/ falling several times throughout your life.

IT is generally a rubbish degree anyway, and doing it with History doesn't provide any real advantage. I'm sorry to say this, but I think IT with History is a stupid choice, and you would be much better off with a property degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending