The Student Room Group

Sociology or history for a levels ?

Hello all,

I am planning to enter as a law undergraduate in one of the ruseel groups i prefer around the top ten.

So I am entering A levels programme this month and wanted to know what will the universities prioritize? History or Sociology?

I want to do socilogy because a friend of mine told me it was about analysis and stuff and I want to know about that and feel like it is going to be easy for me.

For history there will be stuff that I like and stuff that I will be heavily bored with so I am scared of that.

And also I am planning to do 3 subjects in one year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
History, or both.
Sociology is REALLY easy. I'm not that smart and I still managed an A. History is more challenging and interesting, but still not too difficult. It will probably be looked at with more respect than sociology, as well.
History. but i'm taking sociology myself
Reply 4
Original post by ElfManiac
History, or both.

I can't take both I am going to take French, English Lit, and one of those I stated.

Original post by Singularity
Sociology is REALLY easy. I'm not that smart and I still managed an A. History is more challenging and interesting, but still not too difficult. It will probably be looked at with more respect than sociology, as well.

Well you see thats what my friend said as well, he was partying the whole year of A levels and he didn't put any effort since he was focusing on maths and he got a B.

Original post by SpunkyVanDros
History. but i'm taking sociology myself

Well ...
Reply 5
I would like to add what are your opinions for 3 subjects in one year? will it be doable? I am thinking of using this year to give all I got.
Reply 6
i think you should take history because sociology is seen as a "soft option"
Reply 7
Original post by spiral1
i think you should take history because sociology is seen as a "soft option"

How is that? I heard most universities accept it...

Need help here :biggrin: im starting this month. :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by d.luffy
Hello all,

I am planning to enter as a law undergraduate in one of the ruseel groups i prefer around the top ten.

So I am entering A levels programme this month and wanted to know what will the universities prioritize? History or Sociology?

I want to do socilogy because a friend of mine told me it was about analysis and stuff and I want to know about that and feel like it is going to be easy for me.

For history there will be stuff that I like and stuff that I will be heavily bored with so I am scared of that.

And also I am planning to do 3 subjects in one year.

sociology is arguably easier, you also have a greater interest...so bag the A* grade and gor for sociology
Reply 9
Ok, so something came up at school when I saw them to apply for A levels, they said they don't have Sociology neither English literature, right now, can anybody help me to fill my 3rd A level instead of English? Because I might take French, History.... though unless English Language is still applicable to top universities in UK??
History is undoubtedly the better subject to choose if you're applying to a Russell Group university.
Reply 11
Original post by HarveyCanis
History is undoubtedly the better subject to choose if you're applying to a Russell Group university.

I am sure of that, that is why there is chances the school will let me take History but not English, but if I have 2 strong subjects + 1 soft like English language or IT ... will I still be able to enter?? I don't want to do Science.... or maths I am weak at them :/
Reply 12
History. You gain more useful law-orientated skills (: (at least for studying law)
This isn't even a contest for law, history all the way. Unis value the analytical skills you gain out it

If you're looking for a combination on the arts side of things, I've generally been told something like:

History, English Lit, Economics/Second Language/Geography tends to go down well with the top unis. Good luck.
Reply 14
History.
Reply 15
Done deal guys, although I had second thoughts, I still took History, I m afraid as hell now ^^ looking at how hard some people say it is....
Reply 16
History is much more difficult, but also more respected. If neither relate to your course, and you want a top 10, history makes you look better than sociology. However, an A in sociology will look better than a C in history, so only if you think you'll do well in history should you take it.
Reply 17
Original post by tory88
History is much more difficult, but also more respected. If neither relate to your course, and you want a top 10, history makes you look better than sociology. However, an A in sociology will look better than a C in history, so only if you think you'll do well in history should you take it.

Well I do like history but also find it boring in some cases, however, I somehow doubt that I can get an A in history, im sure people doubt before starting a course although they may find it easier through time ?
Reply 18
History. It's interesting, it teaches you important skills and it's not too difficult if you work hard.
Reply 19
Original post by d.luffy
Well I do like history but also find it boring in some cases, however, I somehow doubt that I can get an A in history, im sure people doubt before starting a course although they may find it easier through time ?

Most people do doubt themselves at the start of the course, and then an awful lot of them go on to realise it wasn't as bad as they thought. However, sometimes it can go the other way as well. If you got an A* at history GCSE and are prepared to work hard, then i would still say it is the best option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending