The Student Room Group

Year 2 Pure Maths - Mixed exercise 3 Q4c

I'm just a bit consufed on how to get the answer to Q4c in the Year 2 Pure Maths book in chapter 3, mixed exercise 3 - Q4C. Would someone be able to explain the steps to me, as I don't really understand the solution on solutionbank.
Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BartGR3
I'm just a bit consufed on how to get the answer to Q4c in the Year 2 Pure Maths book in chapter 3, mixed exercise 3 - Q4C. Would someone be able to explain the steps to me, as I don't really understand the solution on solutionbank.
Thank you!

Is this the one where you're asked to prove a relationship between un+1u_{n+1} and unu_n?

Start by writing down an expression for each one using the definition you're given earlier.
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Is this the one where you're asked to prove a relationship between un+1u_{n+1} and unu_n?

Start by writing down an expression for each one using the definition you're given earlier.

Yeah sort of, well it just says about writing down a recurrence relation from a given sequence formula and prove that the recurrence relation matches that formula, I attached an image to the post so you can see it.
Reply 3
Original post by BartGR3
Yeah sort of, well it just says about writing down a recurrence relation from a given sequence formula and prove that the recurrence relation matches that formula, I attached an image to the post so you can see it.

Yes, so what have you done? :smile:

Write down the definition of unu_n from the formula they've given you.

Now write down what un+1u_{n+1} is equal to using the same formula.

Now can you show that the relationship they've asked you to prove is true by manipulating these formulae?
Reply 4
Original post by davros

Original post by davros

Now can you show that the relationship they've asked you to prove is true by manipulating these formulae?

Okay well I'm not sure how to get to the formula they asked me to prove from where I got to now, as I got to a place where I got a formula for un+1 :smile:
Original post by BartGR3
Thank you!

I don't know how they approached this in the solution bank, but what I would suggest is:

1) Start with the given expression for u_n and rearrange it to make (2/3)^n the subject.

2) Move on to the expression for u_(n+1), based on the expression for u_n. Substitute in the expression for (2/3)^n you obtained in (1). A little rearrangement should then provide the proof in the required format.
Reply 6
Original post by davros

Original post by davros

Okay well I'm not sure how to get to the formula they asked me to prove from where I got to now, as I got to a place where I got a formula for un+1 :smile:

Original post by old_engineer
I don't know how they approached this in the solution bank, but what I would suggest is:

1) Start with the given expression for u_n and rearrange it to make (2/3)^n the subject.

2) Move on to the expression for u_(n+1), based on the expression for u_n. Substitute in the expression for (2/3)^n you obtained in (1). A little rearrangement should then provide the proof in the required format.

Oh wow yeah that works, I wouldn't have thought of that method, but it does work, I'm guessing you could always also try making the n the subject but that would be more complicated. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by BartGR3

I think you've got a method that works now, but starting from un=3(23)n1u_n = 3(\dfrac{2}{3})^n - 1 you should be able to show that
2un13=23un13=un+1\dfrac{2u_n - 1}{3} = \dfrac{2}{3}u_n - \dfrac{1}{3} = u_{n+1} in about 3 lines of working :smile:
Original post by old_engineer

Hi, I'm currently doing this question and don't understand step 2. Do you mind explaining?
Reply 9
Original post by Nithu05
Hi, I'm currently doing this question and don't understand step 2. Do you mind explaining?

Are you tackling part (c)? This thread is about 2 years old, but I think the suggestion I gave in post #8 is still valid :smile:
Original post by Nithu05

Just to answer your specific question about my step (2) from two years ago...

You know that, by definition u_(n+1) = 3(2/3)^(n+1) - 1. You can express that as 3(2/3)(2/3)^n -1. This gives you a way of substituting in the expression for (2/3)^n you obtained in step (1).

Quick Reply

Latest