The Student Room Group

Medicine predicted grades

I’m currently in year 12 (now January), and I plan on studying medicine but I’m extremely worried because of predicted grades

GCSE - Maths and All sciences 8, Eng language, German and PE 7, Eng Lit and Geo 6, RE 9
UCAT - to be done

Tests done in school year so far
Chem - Test 1 (1 mark from B) , Test 2 (1 mark from A)
Bio - test 1 (High C) , Test 2+3(being done this week)
Maths - Test 1 (High D), Test 2(went awful today)

What do you guys suggest I do to get triple A predictions secured between now and the summer because I believe I have the potential

And what should I do to improve in maths because I’m really struggling; I’ve never been the best at maths, it took me months of work to get from constant 7s in gcse maths to a low 8 in the real gcse and I need to get this up because by the looks of it I don’t think I’m getting triple A predicted because of maths mainly

I need help on what to do in this situation, study wise and just everything else, also my study schedule in school, after school and weekends is all over the place.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by forzaA100
I’m currently in year 12 (now January), and I plan on studying medicine but I’m extremely worried because of predicted grades

GCSE - Maths and All sciences 8, Eng language, German and PE 7, Eng Lit and Geo 6, RE 9
UCAT - to be done

What do you guys suggest I do to get triple A predictions secured between now and the summer because I believe I have the potential

And what should I do to improve in maths because I’m really struggling; I’ve never been the best at maths, it took me months of work to get from constant 7s in gcse maths to a low 8 in the real gcse and I need to get this up because by the looks of it I don’t think I’m getting triple A predicted because of maths mainly

I need help on what to do in this situation, study wise and just everything else, also my study schedule in school, after school and weekends is all over the place.

Hi also year 12 doing bio, chem, maths and FM.

For my Chem mock I got a B two marks off an A - that was the highest in the class. Everyone else got Ds or Us. And these are smart people too, so your marks there are promising for Chem.

Bio good luck with the other two tests! Once you've done those you will know more of your average grade.

Maths you said you struggle with most. How I revise maths is I make short notes on the method and an example that I know is correct. Then I search up [EXAM BOARD] Topic Questions Integration, for example, and I practise about 3 questions, check marks, 3 questions, check marks. That way you get lots of practise but also know if you're doing it right instead of doing 30 questions and checking them seeing that you did the wrong thing on every one.

For all subjects ask your teachers what they think you struggle most with. Maybe with maths specifically ask a teacher to go through some of the harder topics with you?

And for study schedule, try and plan 1 hour after school everyday for revision. And it cannot count homework. Then you can slowly add it up. But it takes 21 days to form a habit, so try 3 weeks of one hour every day + anything you need to do for tests, hw etc. It'll add up and help.
Reply 2

UCAT - to be done

Plus I aim to use 50% of free lessons in school to revise. So lets say you have l1 bio, l2 nothing, l3 chem. In that l2 force yourself to do bio notes, cause by the time you're at home there are more distractions to prevent you from working. Don't overdo it though, which is what I've been doing for a while so now I'm taking a bit of a step back.
Reply 3

UCAT - to be done

I didn't take Maths so I can't help, but I can try to offer some advice for the other two:

Chemistry - this is easily a top 3 most difficult subject! As said before, your marks are promising in Chemistry so far. My biggest piece of advice would be to revise Chemistry by a) nailing the content first (e.g. from a textbook), b) answering some basic questions (ideally from the same textbook, the end of chapter questions), c) do some practice papers, d) mark the papers and begin to learn the mark scheme and they way they mark your tests. Chemistry mark schemes are oddly specific, but overtime you really begin to learn the ways that they test you. I would recommend Allery Chemistry or MaChemGuy on Youtube.

Biology: to me, Biology is a big memory game half of the time. Do you have a solid way of remembering things you've learnt at school yet? If not, it's not too late! It took me until the end of year 12 to realise, but I'd recommend flashcards highly for Biology (Quizlet works okay, but Anki is the real deal!). Again, nail the content first and then begin to slowly apply it with textbook questions and then past papers. I would recommend Miss Estruch Biology on Youtube.

Don't feel too disheartened at this point, you've still got plenty of the year left and you've only just joined sixth form. From experience, it does take a couple of months to adjust to the jump from year 11, but I'm sure you'll find your feet! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about medicine or the subjects :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by study23!

UCAT - to be done

Hi also year 12 doing bio, chem, maths and FM.

For my Chem mock I got a B two marks off an A - that was the highest in the class. Everyone else got Ds or Us. And these are smart people too, so your marks there are promising for Chem.

Bio good luck with the other two tests! Once you've done those you will know more of your average grade.

Maths you said you struggle with most. How I revise maths is I make short notes on the method and an example that I know is correct. Then I search up [EXAM BOARD] Topic Questions Integration, for example, and I practise about 3 questions, check marks, 3 questions, check marks. That way you get lots of practise but also know if you're doing it right instead of doing 30 questions and checking them seeing that you did the wrong thing on every one.

For all subjects ask your teachers what they think you struggle most with. Maybe with maths specifically ask a teacher to go through some of the harder topics with you?

And for study schedule, try and plan 1 hour after school everyday for revision. And it cannot count homework. Then you can slowly add it up. But it takes 21 days to form a habit, so try 3 weeks of one hour every day + anything you need to do for tests, hw etc. It'll add up and help.

Thank you for the advice, for maths I was far from consistent with completing exercises and mixed exercises and I never went over what I did in school because in school it was easy, but now I’ll definitely bring maths into my independent work regularly, I got my result from my last maths result which was unfortunately an E. Yeah for chem I’m not doing too bad and I’ve got another test tomorrow for it. Bio I got Test 2 back which was an A, Test 3 Bio will come back tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending