The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suncake
I haven't done mine yet :tongue: But for me, using the number pad would be easier.

ooo, when's yours? :tongue:
Reply 1981
Original post by Briz
Did mine today - 642.5 average :frown: GUTTED! Abstract reasoning let me down big time (Well i let myself down on it!)

VR 630
QR 680 <Surprised! much easier in real thing than any i'd done before...
AR 530 :'( Ran out of time and left about half completely blank
DA 730

If only AR didn't exist! Any ideas where i can still apply please? I know my score's too low for Newcastle and Leicester (which were my top 2!) So i'm really confused as to where to apply... please help!

Good Luck to everyone else who's got it coming up :smile: xxx

Why don't you firstly look at Bristol and Liverpool Medical schools? Both of these dont even require ukcat.
BSMS (brighton) also look at the ukcat very weakly (only after interview between border-line candidates- you could apply there)

and I know leeds also don't look too deeply into the ukcat.. I would look into here also.

Hope this helps :smile:
liverpool, lancaster, birmingham don't look at the UKCAT. where else?
Original post by jess_m94
ooo, when's yours? :tongue:

August 29th :smile: I've tried a few questions so far, but planning on starting proper practise next week because I don't want to run out of resources!
Original post by suncake
August 29th :smile: I've tried a few questions so far, but planning on starting proper practise next week because I don't want to run out of resources!

yeah, everybody says you need 4-5 weeks so that should be enough!! but knowing myself i'll be an absolute nightmare at the sections and end up just getting stressed! :tongue:
although i am hoping that i'm secretly a ukcat genius and get 750+, applying just seems so much simpler when you know you've got an awesome score!!!
yeah, everybody says you need 4-5 weeks so that should be enough!! but knowing myself i'll be an absolute nightmare at the sections and end up just getting stressed! :tongue:
although i am hoping that i'm secretly a ukcat genius and get 750+, applying just seems so much simpler when you know you've got an awesome score!!!

If I got 750+ I think I'd run around the house screaming and dancing for a week.
Reply 1986
Does anyone know specifically about birmingham test centre whether you can use the keyboard or not for typing numbers in?
Reply 1987
I think you are allowed to use a keyboard, I emailed the Pearson Vue company and they confirmed this.( I think I'll bring a copy incase there is a problem on the day). I think if I went in and it was tucked behind the computer I would pull it out. :biggrin:

Would that be okay?

Shortcuts:
Alt + n = next page
Alt + p = previous page
Alt + c = calculator
Alt + f = flag
(edited 11 years ago)
has anyone done and marked the mock test in the 600q book? just done mine and i got 260, 439, 308 and 833. Might as well kill myself now tbh
Original post by el.sammo
has anyone done and marked the mock test in the 600q book? just done mine and i got 260, 439, 308 and 833. Might as well kill myself now tbh

I did. Day before my test. Mine all averaged pit to roughly 600 but got 665 in the real thing. To some of the mocks on the ukcat website and you should be fine

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Original post by Hippokrates
If I got 750+ I think I'd run around the house screaming and dancing for a week.

hahahaha omg i would too!! i don't think i'd be able to stop crying with relief and telling people about it and then all the people i tell will be like, wtf is ukcat? hahah!

stop getting me excited, i'll do it and get 580 or something ridiculous like that :frown:

jeesh, people should stop wanting to be doctors already so that med schools just let me in!!!! :tongue:
Reply 1991
Original post by KeepYourHeadUp
Just out of curiosity how did you do in the other sections? I took my ukcat yesterday and am quite curious to see how I've done compared to others (none of my friends have taken theirs yet)
:smile:

I got 642.5 average so you did well :-)

VR 630
QR 680
AR 530 (I ran out of time and left half unanswered)
DA 730

Well done for yours!
Where you thinking of applying?x
Original post by KeepYourHeadUp
I did. Day before my test. Mine all averaged pit to roughly 600 but got 665 in the real thing. To some of the mocks on the ukcat website and you should be fine

i barely got any right at all in QR because they were so hard and i really struggle with VR
Reply 1993
Original post by AishaTara
thank you :smile: when did u start prep? like how many weeks before your ukcat?

Umm like 4 weeks before i think... just like a section a day 'cos it's so demoralising when you first start! I would avoid practice papers in timed conditions until the last week/10 days before xx
Best of luck x
Reply 1994
Original post by magap
Will the maths questions have as much written information in the questions as the ukcat official practice tests? They were a nightmare, absolute joke.
Also, sounds stupid, but has anyone got any advice on how to use that ridiculous calculator? I find that I waste so much time using it, any tips would be great.

The maths/QR is MUCH easier in the real thing, i promise :smile: x
Reply 1995
Hi, can i ask what you got in your gcses please? :smile:

Of course! I got 6 A*s (Maths, science and additional, PE, French History) and 3As (English, English and Art) x
Reply 1996
Original post by suncake
Okay, thanks :smile:

Well done on your score btw! Have a look here at how all the unis use the UKCAT.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT
I don't think your score will limit your choices too much. Some people earlier on in the thread made posts about which unis to choose for lower scores, but I can't find it, sorry :colondollar:

Aww thank you! That's great, very helpful :smile: x
Reply 1997
Original post by ofudge
Why don't you firstly look at Bristol and Liverpool Medical schools? Both of these dont even require ukcat.
BSMS (brighton) also look at the ukcat very weakly (only after interview between border-line candidates- you could apply there)

and I know leeds also don't look too deeply into the ukcat.. I would look into here also.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! Yeah that's a massive help :smile: Think I'll avoid Liverpool though, reviews haven't been great! Deffo look at the others tho :smile: Thanks again :smile:
Has anyone tried the questions from OnExamination? If so is it any good.

This is the link: http://www.onexamination.com/students/ukcat

Or the set of questions from ACE medicine?
http://www.acemedicine.com/ukcat/

Both more expensive than Medify
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Briz
Of course! I got 6 A*s (Maths, science and additional, PE, French History) and 3As (English, English and Art) x

those are good! why do you think you cant apply to leicester? with your gcses+ukcat you get a score of 54, but if you get an A in one of your AS exams, then that will bump you up to 55, and 55 is what they normally use for interview (this is what the lecturer said at leicester's open day yesterday :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending