The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by sobi999
yeah i so hate these questions. basically if there are lots of different objects positioned definite like in here all are in corners then there is a high chance of positioning and colour being the main pattern. in here the colour is the main pattern. i gave you a clue, now figure it out.

I give up! i know once i see the relation i will be like oh that was quite easy :mad:
Reply 5981
Original post by qawa12345
The DA section was indeed longer winded, and definitely a little more complicated than those in the practice exams. I think in the practice exams, the first few DA Qs are warm up Qs, but in my Qs, it started with pretty long message (8-10 codes) Ar, i would say its pretty similar to those in practice exam. So do the unis look at the scores on individual section too?or just the average? what unis should people at my position consider?

can you remember from the top of your head how many codes did the longest question in DA had?

also when you say the AR was similar to practice exams do you mean the ukcat online practice exams or anything else?

also dont worry about ukcat so much, some unis dont give it much importance. i am not an expert in this area but i read somewhere that uni's will tend to look at scores which you scored much higher on than scores which you have scored much lower. take for example you had 560 in VR and 850 in QR than the QR would appeal much more to unis then the VR would disappoint them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5982
Does anyone know how the medify mock compares to the real thing? I just did it and got like

29/44
30/36
31/65
24/26

:s-smilie:
Original post by sobi999
LOL your in the same boat as me:biggrin:this is so out off our level considering the amount of time we are given. i dont think the Ukcat would be that harsh on us and if they did do it then it will be one of those questions which are not marked and are only there to waste people's time. check this one out

dots in set a equal the number of white sides and black sides
dots in set b are 1 less than number of white sides as well as 3 less than black
Reply 5984
there have it
:biggrin:
A: If there is one black object, there is one copy of each shape. If there are two black objects, one of the shapes has two copies. If there are three black objects, one of the shapes has three copies. If there are four black objects, one of the shapes has four copies. If there are two black objects, there is one copy of each shape. If there are three black objects, one of the shapes has two copies. If there are four black objects, one of the shapes has three copies. If there are five black objects, one of the shapes has four copies.

B: If there are two black objects, there is one copy of each shape. If there are three black objects, one of the shapes has two copies. If there are four black objects, one of the shapes has three copies. If there are five black objects, one of the shapes has four copies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5985
I've been practicing QR with a scientific calculator and have just realised you only get a simple one!
Do the calculators provided have a brackets or an ans button? Writing the number down and re-typing it is taking longer than I expected, and I was pushed for time to begin with :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by lils129
Does anyone know how the medify mock compares to the real thing? I just did it and got like

29/44
30/36
31/65
24/26

:s-smilie:

thats good
1-695
2-800
3- 586
4- 854

average is 734.
Reply 5987
Original post by Alex.Bl
I've been practicing QR with a scientific calculator and have just realised you only get a simple one!
Do the calculators provided have a brackets or an ans button? Writing the number down and re-typing it is taking longer than I expected, and I was pushed for time to begin with :frown:

The UKCAT calculator doesn't have either of them. :frown:
Reply 5988
TIPS

guys no matter what if you cant do a question guess ,flag it and move on. this would be your best bet to get a high score.
Reply 5989
there are no brackets:angry:

you would have to write the answer down. in maths there are usually many ways to come up with an answer make sure you know the shortest route for most questions.
Original post by sobi999
can you remember from the top of your head how many codes did the longest question in DA had?

also when you say the AR was similar to practice exams do you mean the ukcat online practice exams or anything else?

also dont worry about ukcat so much, some unis dont give it much importance. i am not an expert in this area but i read somewhere that uni's will tend to look at scores which you scored much higher on than scores which you have scored much lower. take for example you had 560 in VR and 850 in QR than the QR would appeal much more to unis then the VR would disappoint them.

The longest was 16ish, maybe more, but remember they have those codes combine(...............), that made everything so long. and yes i meant the ones on ukcat website. DA was actually my best part lol (scored 7xx)
Reply 5991
@qawa how was QR. Im really bad at maths scored on the UKCAT Practice short version like 4 :frown:.
Reply 5992
The longest was 16ish, maybe more, but remember they have those codes combine(...............), that made everything so long. and yes i meant the ones on ukcat website. DA was actually my best part lol (scored 7xx)

thank you so much. the longest codes i have seen are 13..

only have time problem with AR and confusion with VR.
thats good if you got a high score in one of the section.
Original post by AS01
imperial, St.george's, Queen mary and might or might not be UCL as I might resit. what about u?

Me... Probably durham, BSMS, leicester, Aberdeen... why what are you resiting?
Original post by sobi999

Remember to flag the Qs in AR, I personally think, it's better to move on than spending all my 30s to spot the pattern on the hard Qs (tho I am not an expert on AR.) so besides Bristol, where else does not look at ukcat at all? How do u define high score by the way?
Original post by sobi999

How did you not have a time problem with QR? :frown: is it easier in the real thing? I can manage the other three sections usually, but I consistently to terribly in the QR...

Reply 5996
Original post by Future_Dr
Me... Probably durham, BSMS, leicester, Aberdeen... why what are you resiting?

Physics practical.
Reply 5997
Remember to flag the Qs in AR, I personally think, it's better to move on than spending all my 30s to spot the pattern on the hard Qs (tho I am not an expert on AR.) so besides Bristol, where else does not look at ukcat at all? How do u define high score by the way?

Bradford doesnt look at ukcat i think and maybe one more uni, i cant remember but if you search on google it shows which unis ask for ukcat. keele, leicester are not strict on ukcat as they use it in tie situations. kingston gives you a straight interview if you get 700 or above ( i think). Sheffield or/and Southampton are also strict on ukcat. you also need to look at which uni's are heavy on GCSE's and then with your ukcat make a wise choice.
I was getting ready to take the free diagnostic mock by medify.
Turns our it's only 5 questions per section :colonhash:

Were most DA codes in the real thing similar to the one below or a bit longer:

1(205) CF(110 C1) E105, 1(13)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending