The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I booked mine today (for early August).

I have a question about the onscreen calculator. Do you have to click each number with the mouse manually when doing calculations or can you use the number pad to do them - if that makes sense. I would be much happier with the later :smile:

Also, is oneexamination worth it?
Original post by oli_G

I have a question about the onscreen calculator. Do you have to click each number with the mouse manually when doing calculations or can you use the number pad to do them - if that makes sense. I would be much happier with the later :smile:

You can use the keypad and I'd advise using it whilst you're doing any practice tests as it will help you get used to it. It's much quicker than clicking.

Never used OnExamination sorry :no:
Reply 102
Original post by Democracy
You can use the keypad and I'd advise using it whilst you're doing any practice tests as it will help you get used to it. It's much quicker than clicking.

Thank God, believe it or not that was my biggest worry about the UKCAT (so far).

Spoiler

Original post by oli_G
Thank God, believe it or not that was my biggest worry about the UKCAT (so far).

Spoiler

It's alright. To be honest with you, I have no idea why they took away the calculators, BUT on the other hand some of the QR questions were so laughably easy that you could just do them in your head anyway. I think I only used the calculator a few times and I'm not a maths whizz by any means.
Reply 104
good luck everyone :h:

my major but simple tip - practise practise practise practise practise pract....... (you get the picture :tongue:) especially when it comes to abstract reasoning, the more you practice the better you'll be at spotting patterns, and in decision analysis, you'll get the hang of stringing the codes together, and you'll get faster and faster. get your hands on as many books as you can get - even if the tips and information is not great, do as many questions as you can. make sure you download the free papers, and use the computer calculator when you practice, not a real calculator. have a quick recap of your multiplication and division if you're a bit rusty - if you can do things in your head, you wont have to rely on that stupid calculator!

also, anybody who gets scared by the maths section in the 600Q book, it is sooooooo much simpler in the real thing :tongue:
Original post by oli_G

Original post by Democracy

When I did the test (last year and the year before) there was no keyboard available. I had to use the mouse and found it to be very slow and annoying.
Reply 106
Original post by adsyrah
What do you mean? That they dock your score for sitting it later? In which case, no.

Sit it when it suits you best. That's the only thing that should influence you if cost isn't an issue.

I know in the UKCAT, to calculate your score they compare it with people who have previously done it.

Do you compare all 2012 sitters with previous year sitters? Or do you use previous year applicants to work out scores for those that sit it in July and then use those that sit it in July to compare with those that sit it in August-October?
Original post by Lloyds
I know in the UKCAT, to calculate your score they compare it with people who have previously done it.

Do you compare all 2012 sitters with previous year sitters? Or do you use previous year applicants to work out scores for those that sit it in July and then use those that sit it in July to compare with those that sit it in August-October?

The comparison will be with previous years. It has to be since you will receive your score directly after you sit it. The average score for the year does vary, hence why universities often alter their cutoff/points system.

There is no advantage in sitting the test earlier or later.
Reply 108
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
The comparison will be with previous years. It has to be since you will receive your score directly after you sit it. The average score for the year does vary, hence why universities often alter their cutoff/points system.

There is no advantage in sitting the test earlier or later.

Thanks, KCL is one of the few universities that will consider me with my 2.2 and Masters, so I need to make sure I get 700+.

Any tips?
Reply 109
Original post by Lloyds
Thanks, KCL is one of the few universities that will consider me with my 2.2 and Masters, so I need to make sure I get 700+.

Any tips?

Relax as much as you can. The test is a race against time, so the cooler your head the better you'll do.

Practicing lots with the downloadable example test from Pearson Vue's website is a must to get you completely comfortable with the test structure.

I found using the keyboard shortcuts to go between questions, flagging them and using the screen calculator invaluable too as using a mouse seemed too clunky (with the calculator especially).
Reply 110
Original post by adsyrah
Relax as much as you can. The test is a race against time, so the cooler your head the better you'll do.

Practicing lots with the downloadable example test from Pearson Vue's website is a must to get you completely comfortable with the test structure.

I found using the keyboard shortcuts to go between questions, flagging them and using the screen calculator invaluable.

I'm going to use:

- PV Practice Tests Online
- 600 Questions UKCAT Book
- Kaplan Booklet

What are the shortcuts? Is it the left and right arrow to go back and forth between the questions? I didn't realise you could use the keyboard to use the calculator ... that'd be awesome!
Reply 111
Original post by Lloyds
I'm going to use:

- PV Practice Tests Online
- 600 Questions UKCAT Book
- Kaplan Booklet

What are the shortcuts? Is it the left and right arrow to go back and forth between the questions?

The letter is underlined in each word - Next = N etc.

I can't remember the shortcut key - it's either ALT+LETTER or CTRL+LETTER.

And the numpad can be used for the calculator.

EDIT - also, that list of practice material was what I used and was plenty to get a good score :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by adsyrah
The letter is underlined in each word - Next = N etc.

I can't remember the shortcut key - it's either ALT+LETTER or CTRL+LETTER.

And the numpad can be used for the calculator.

EDIT - also, that list of practice material was what I used and was plenty to get a good score :smile:

Ah OK, I don't mind using the mouse because I can use the cursor to help me follow the text.
What score did you get? :colone:
Just noticed you're a grad too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Lloyds
Ah OK, I don't mind using the mouse because I can use the cursor to help me follow the text.
What score did you get? :colone:

I was applying for 4-year grad courses so really had to make sure I had a good score to get my application noticed, so was dead chuffed!
Just to balance it out...I did the UKCAT and didn't get such a good score (612.5) which obviously isn't very competitive enough for the 4 year graduate course but despite this I have an offer at Birmingham on the 4 year graduate course (Birmingham don't take the UKCAT into account). I guess my message is apply tactically and getting a low UKCAT isn't the end of the world!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Probably been said before, butt definitely use the keyboard for the calculator and get some practice on it before the test as I used the mouse and had issues with the calculator not working properly, which cost me about 4 mins (given the time constraints, that is a lot of lost time!)
Booked mine for August :smile:
Reply 117
Original post by groovyangel2008
Just to balance it out...I did the UKCAT and didn't get such a good score (612.5) which obviously isn't very competitive enough for the 4 year graduate course but despite this I have an offer at Birmingham on the 4 year graduate course (Birmingham don't take the UKCAT into account). I guess my message is apply tactically and getting a low UKCAT isn't the end of the world!!

hi, could you help me please by giving me some advice about this, i want to apply for 4 year medicine, and i studied law back in my country, do you think they take into account or the recognize my degree, please help
Original post by tofan
hi, could you help me please by giving me some advice about this, i want to apply for 4 year medicine, and i studied law back in my country, do you think they take into account or the recognize my degree, please help

Are you talking about the Birmingham graduate course? If so, I know Birmingham only take students that have life sciences degrees i.e. Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry etc and they don't accept international students on the 4 year course. However, here are 4 year graduate courses that do take on international students. I know the Warwick graduate medical course has changed its policy for 2013 entry to allow students with any degree to apply for the course. To stand a chance at Warwick you have to have a high UKCAT as they have a cut off point (it was around 675 this year, if I remember correctly) and if you don't meet it then you are immediately rejected regardless of your personal statement, academics, experience etc (I therefore couldn't have applied because my UKCAT was low).
If there are medical schools you are interested in, I think your first step should be to email the admission tutors and find out whether they accept your degree and whether you stand a chance because sometimes the admission criteria on the website are not so clear cut!
Good luck
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone have a list of books to get for the exam?

I'm going to dedicate my summer to this :smile:

Sad times..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending