The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Big Medicine UKCAT 2013 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

The 600 UKCAT book is the main book I would suggest getting. I have an offer now and would like to get rid of the book so if anyone wants to take it off my hands you are more than welcome!
Reply 121
Booked my test for the end of July. Apparently, this is early than most, but I want it out of the way as soon as possible so I can have enough time to confirm my choices, and I've got a hell of a busy summer as well. :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone!
Hi everyone, I'm applying for the 2013 graduate entry courses at Warwick, Imperial, Barts & Kings (depending on UKCAT score of course, otherwise GAMSAT backup!).

I've been prepping for the UKCAT since March-ish, and despite other people on here claiming the contrary, I think there is plenty of material to help you. If you do start early, make sure you keep any proper mock tests until a week before your exam and just use practice material in the mean time.

Resources? Obviously the 600Q book, by far the most comprehensive and offers a lot of good advice. Other sources include Medify, emedica, and GCSE past papers for the QR section.

Most of all, hope for good luck. The question bank UKCAT uses is a mix of hard and easy questions that are randomly allocated. Most people should get a mix of the two, but some get entirely easier questions and others much harder, longer questions (especially in QR, where time really is a huge issue).

All the best,

Matt
Original post by candleflame
Im dedicating most of my summer to it too - I had a good look at the 600 book over Easter, its excellent! For more questions i've used mainly online stuff like onexamination.com and ukcatpracticequestions.co.uk. My friend also has the Kaplan book she got off her sister so Im going to try and have a look at that too :ninja:. I think its a good idea if you can to talk to people who have already done it, so if you know any current med students who did the UKCAT its probably worth asking them what worked to get extra info!
Hope this helps!

Ive heard people talking about that book and the websites. I'm sort of still pretending that it doesnt really exist though, thats keeping me sane lol
One word of advice about the 600Q book: I think it exaggerates the QR difficulty. If you find you're struggling with time or the questions seem very difficult, I wouldn't fret too badly.
Hey everyone, just registered and book my UKCAT for AUGUST AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! very nervous....have you seen those abstract reasoning questions.......lol
Reply 126
Im only starting to think about doing the UKCAT now :/ I was thinking maybe doing it end of July or early August-would that give me enough time to prepare - maybe leave it to mid august or september if not?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rachkin
Im only starting to think about doing the UKCAT now :/ I was thinking maybe doing it end of July or early August-would that give me enough time to prepare - maybe leave it to mid august or september if not?

Hi Rachkin, plenty of time to prepare so don't worry! Even if you chose to book it for the opening on 3rd July, you'd have plenty of time if you get started soon :smile: Book it and see how you feel a few days beforehand. If you don't feel confident enough, you can postpone it at no charge. Just don't book it too late on as that will make it more difficult to rearrange the test!
Original post by MattKneale
One word of advice about the 600Q book: I think it exaggerates the QR difficulty. If you find you're struggling with time or the questions seem very difficult, I wouldn't fret too badly.

Some people last year got all questions as hard as the 600Q book in QR. If you can do the 600Q QR questions in 50 seconds instead of 30 then you will find the exam a doddle.
Original post by rachkin

I'd really try not to leave it as late as September as whilst it seems to give you more prep time, it's really hard to juggle prep with A2s, PS etc.
Original post by rapidresponse
Some people last year got all questions as hard as the 600Q book in QR. If you can do the 600Q QR questions in 50 seconds instead of 30 then you will find the exam a doddle.

Oh I'm sure there are questions as hard in their question bank, but I think it's unlikely to have that scenario. The people you know must have just been very unlucky, as on average, people should get a mix of easy and hard questions.
Reply 131
Original post by confused dot com
I'd really try not to leave it as late as September as whilst it seems to give you more prep time, it's really hard to juggle prep with A2s, PS etc.

If you dont mind me asking when did you do yours? And would you have done anything different if you were doing it again?
Original post by jamiek
If you dont mind me asking when did you do yours? And would you have done anything different if you were doing it again?

I think mine was on the 31st August (or a couple days before). The only thing I would've done differently is to have relaxed more (I felt myself doing better as I got more relaxed during the test an it showed in my spread of results!) and I definitely would've used the keyboard instead of the mouse even though they told me not to as there was something wrong with the mouse on the day, which lost me a chunk of time.
I was just wondering what you guys think of the following websites that offer online question practice for a fee for the UKCAT :-

oneexaminations.com
ukcatpracticequestions.co.uk
medify.co.uk

Has anybody used these before? and what was your experience - did they help?

Any help, comments gratefully appreciated

Reply 134
Original post by wanabee medic
I was just wondering what you guys think of the following websites that offer online question practice for a fee for the UKCAT :-

oneexaminations.com
ukcatpracticequestions.co.uk
medify.co.uk

Has anybody used these before? and what was your experience - did they help?

Any help, comments gratefully appreciated

There was a glitch in one of those sites a year ago where purchasing questions for one section of the UKCAT (e.g. Abstract Reasoning) allowed you to gain access to all the questions. Don't know if it has been fixed yet.

The questions are helpful but imo, if you go through this book, you will be fine for the exam: http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical-School-comprehensive-explanations/dp/1905812094
Reply 135
Onexamination was OK.
Can testify to medify being very good, though the layout is not at all similar to the UKCAT itself, but don't let that put you off. It's also slightly pricey, but worth it IMO.
Hi guys, I did the KAPLAN UKCAT course last august, I have the 5 test books with answer sheets that they give you on the course and want to sell them on as I no longer need them! They are really helpful, exactly the same format and type of questions as the real thing. £155 for the 5 books PM me if you are interested
Original post by Beska
Onexamination was OK.

lool sorry, but when you say OK, what would rate it on a scale 1 to 10? :colondollar:
Reply 139
Original post by MarshmallowBob
lool sorry, but when you say OK, what would rate it on a scale 1 to 10? :colondollar:

6-7/10 - was OK for AR if I recall. It's difficult to get the "UKCAT feel" from any of these kind of resources though, I think that's what lets them down a lot. As the questions go, they're fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending