The Student Room Group

Science student but not enjoying my course and not sure where to go from here

I’m currently studying higher science at college. I’ve been doing it for the past few years now, working my way up from the induction course (National 4) and the National 5 course. I missed out on a lot of school due to mental health issues and ended up leaving school at only 14 years old. Due to this I was really behind on everything and have more or less being playing catch up these past years. I initially really enjoyed my national 4 course but as I’ve progressed up to my current course, I’ve began to really dislike it. I‘m terrible at maths and struggle even with the very basics so this makes me feel very anxious about how I’ll cope on my current course (and it doesn’t make physics much fun!) I also absolutely hate the practicals. The only thing I do kind of enjoy is biology. I have no idea what else I could study. Nothing stands out to me that I’m good at and my lack of maths skills really limits me and affects my confidence. I did consider switching to law but I’m not sure if that would be suited to me considering I’m really shy. I initially wanted to do dermatology but obviously I’d have to stick with science for that and I’m not sure if that’ll just make me miserable! If I’m sticking to science my next step would probably be a hnd and then applying to uni from there. Any advice? I feel completely stuck!
any hobbies?

a friend of mine was studying science at a polytechnic, Environmental Engineering. he hated it and his grades started to fall. So the next year went to a uni to study Japanese, at that was his hobby whilst at the poly. He's doing really well.
I lost interest big time in my masters but in the Netherlands you can choose any course along as it fufills the entry requirement. Just switch to law if you really hate this course. You don't want to graduate with something which will hold you back when applying for future ___.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending