The Student Room Group

What degree should i do?

i want a career in crime (by that i mean detective, crime scene investigator, private investigator, etc) I really enjoy biology and working out problems. I was thinking to do fornesic science but i dont want to be a forensic scientist so i dont actually know if i should still do it or not.
Reply 1
Right and what do you think a crime scene investigator does? Forensic science is exactly what you need to do to become a CSI.
Original post by heyidontknowwhat
i want a career in crime (by that i mean detective, crime scene investigator, private investigator, etc) I really enjoy biology and working out problems. I was thinking to do fornesic science but i dont want to be a forensic scientist so i dont actually know if i should still do it or not.

Hello @heyidontknowwhat

I hope you're well! Even if you do forensic science as a career, you don't have to actually become a forensic scientist - remember you're in control of your life! Have you looked into criminology, maybe that would interest you? I would say look at forensic science and criminology in more detail, and see if any aspects interest you. You don't have to become that for your jobs really, but it can potentially help you to get to the job you want!

Hope this helps
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Original post by mike23mike
Right and what do you think a crime scene investigator does? Forensic science is exactly what you need to do to become a CSI.

isnt the difference that the crime scene investigators work at the scene and forensic scientists work in labs mainly?
Reply 4
isnt the difference that the crime scene investigators work at the scene and forensic scientists work in labs mainly?

Please click on the link I provided

Hi!
If you are unsure if you want to study a course such as forensic science maybe consider a course such as criminology which can lead you to similar areas of work that you have mentioned. Additionally, my advice would be to look at individual modules for different courses as through these modules you may find a specific field of work you are particularly interested in.
Hope this helps, Faye :smile:
Hi,

Choosing which course to study at university can be so difficult and something many people struggle with, so you are not alone in this worry!

It's great that you know where your interests lie but if you are not sure about doing something like Criminology or Forensic Science, maybe you have already answered your own question: biology?

If you were to do biology, something you have mentioned being interested in, it gives you a lot of options for job/career prospects since it is a broad subject. Remember, you can always do a postgraduate degree such as a Masters in Forensic Science if you decided on that in the future. I have had a look at some of the Masters available for this and it seems like they prefer applicants to have a degree in some kind of science - so Biology would work for you!

My biggest piece of advice here would be to do something you are genuinely interested in and think you will actually enjoy. If you are not sure about careers/future plans then stick with what you know!

Best of luck,
Abbie :smile:
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Original post by UoS PG students
Hi,

Choosing which course to study at university can be so difficult and something many people struggle with, so you are not alone in this worry!

It's great that you know where your interests lie but if you are not sure about doing something like Criminology or ForensicHiiiScience, maybe you have already answered your own question: biology?

If you were to do biology, something you have mentioned being interested in, it gives you a lot of options for job/career prospects since it is a broad subject. Remember, you can always do a postgraduate degree such as a Masters in Forensic Science if you decided on that in the future. I have had a look at some of the Masters available for this and it seems like they prefer applicants to have a degree in some kind of science - so Biology would work for you!

My biggest piece of advice here would be to do something you are genuinely interested in and think you will actually enjoy. If you are not sure about careers/future plans then stick with what you know!

Best of luck,

Hii ive considered this before but im not too sure if im planning to do a postgraduate degree. I constantly hear that getting a job with a biology degree is really hard so i would do it but its just where to go after university.
Hii ive considered this before but im not too sure if im planning to do a postgraduate degree. I constantly hear that getting a job with a biology degree is really hard so i would do it but its just where to go after university.

Hi again,

I wouldn't worry too much about what you hear, focus on what is right for you. Obviously if people are reviewing a particular course then that might give you some guidance on where to/not to go for your degree, but all degrees are valuable and necessary in different ways!

This page gives some information on career prospects for Biology degrees, but remember that you are never really confined to the content or subject of your degree, there are always opportunities to gain more/further/different qualifications, and these can arise in all different ways: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biology

I would really emphasise that enjoying the subject is the key thing to focus on, especially when you are the beginning of further education. Also, university is at least 3 years long - that is 3 years to decide what to do after. If I'm honest, I still don't know what I want to do for sure but opportunities pop up at different times and I know something will arise!

Hope this helps,

Hi there! My name is Aimee and I’m a third year Criminology and Criminal Behaviour student :smile:

It seems like you are unsure on which job you would like in the future: my advice would be to check out the many different routes into “crime” jobs as there are thousands of different roles!

You do not need a degree in Criminology to be a detective inspector or a typical police officer. You can join these roles with intense training however, some universities including ours work alongside West Yorkshire police and join in the second year. So it is worth looking at your chosen universities to see if they offer a direct route from uni into police training.

Attend open days, have a tour and discussion with forensic and criminology as they will likely indicate which course is best for you if you are struggling to decide😊

Best of Luck, Aimee xox

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending