The Student Room Group

Can you say I studied modules of computer science? And say its theoreticall a CS deg?

I'm studying a BSc open degree and first year I took all computing modules and a maths module mst124.

Now in my 2nd year I am studying web technologies, oop, IT service and a maths modules. Unfortunately the space ran out for me to enrol on the algorithms module.

In my final year I will pick a computing project, software engineering, mobile computing etc.

So can I say in brackets with my degree Computer Science or can I say to people I studied an open degree but computer science? Do the modules picked allow me to say that?
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm studying a BSc open degree and first year I took all computing modules and a maths module mst124.

Now in my 2nd year I am studying web technologies, oop, IT service and a maths modules. Unfortunately the space ran out for me to enrol on the algorithms module.

In my final year I will pick a computing project, software engineering, mobile computing etc.

So can I say in brackets with my degree Computer Science or can I say to people I studied an open degree but computer science? Do the modules picked allow me to say that?

You can tell people you did an Open degree with modules pertaining to computer science, but you cannot say you have a computer science degree.. because you don't..
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
You can tell people you did an Open degree with modules pertaining to computer science, but you cannot say you have a computer science degree.. because you don't..

Ok thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom

Can I put BSc Open (Computer Science) on my CV? Its not saying I've done computer science, the brackets merely mean I've studied modules of CS.
Can I put BSc Open (Computer Science) on my CV? Its not saying I've done computer science, the brackets merely mean I've studied modules of CS.

Yes, that's probably OK, though perhaps
BSc (Hons) Open, Computer Science focus
is a bit more accurate. I don't see employers having a problem with your option though, given the modules you have taken.
Reply 6

I would disagree with that, and agree more with @threeportdrift's recommendation.
To add onto the above points, don't just blindly list all the modules you studied under your open degree. Tailor your CV to the role you are applying for, because employers don't care about long lists of things you've studied. Ideally you'll be able to demonstrate experience in some way besides what modules you've studied anyway.
Reply 8

Don't claim you've done a Computer Science degree unless that's what it says on your degree certificate.

I think it would be ok to mention that the degree was "focussed on modules relating to Computer Science", and perhaps write a sentence about it in your CV. You could include a copy of your transcript where appropriate (i.e. where you're applying for a computing job, and the job specification refers to something like "holds a degree in a computing-related subject", but not for a general admin role, or a job stacking shelves.)

You could talk to your university and see whether, given what you've studied, you could transfer to a Computer Science degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending