The Student Room Group

Fountain pens at uni?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Parker bottle of ink instead of disposable blister packs as there's less waste. However I've applied for medicine (slightly unrelated) and I know there's a lot of writing just like other degrees such as history and the ink can smudge a lot?

I know that they last over a year, and I don't want to spend money on something that'll go to waste (if I end up not using it at uni).

If you're at uni and use a fountain pen - is it convinient to use? Or have you stopped using them because of the smudging? If you know any pros and cons about using bottle ink apart from waste, lmk!

Thanks
Original post by pancakesbob7
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Parker bottle of ink instead of disposable blister packs as there's less waste. However I've applied for medicine (slightly unrelated) and I know there's a lot of writing just like other degrees such as history and the ink can smudge a lot?

I know that they last over a year, and I don't want to spend money on something that'll go to waste (if I end up not using it at uni).

If you're at uni and use a fountain pen - is it convinient to use? Or have you stopped using them because of the smudging? If you know any pros and cons about using bottle ink apart from waste, lmk!

Thanks

From an engineers perspective, very few people use fountain pens. I used ball point pens, and occasionally the wet ink disposable pens. TBH I used to just get loads of them for free at freshers fairs/careers events and never actually bought a pen all 4 years of uni.

Almost all my peers used ball point pens (I dont recall any student using a fountain pen, but im sure somebody does). You can use whatever you want though.

Thanks

just use a quill and ink
Reply 3
All the pens I use are ballpoint.There's nothing stopping you from using a fountain pen, and if you prefer then go for it. In my experience though I've found that sitting in a lecture, you take notes quite quickly, so a fountain pen may not be the most useful for this situation. But say you're writing up your notes or creating some sort of study aid, if you want it to look nice then sure.Any formal writing that you'll have to do will almost certainly be electronic (most likely either Word or Latex)
(edited 3 years ago)
Jacob Rees-Mogg may be able to offer suitable advice. Assuming he has moved on from quill pens.
I persoanlly struggled to use a fountain pen at uni. I couldnt keep up and found a ball point much smoother are quicker but everyone is different. I still use fountain pen but use them more for writing letter and cards and things now.

As for a bottle much more environmentally friendly and usually recyclable. Only thing i would say is raking a bottle out and about for refilling purposes might not be the best idea so take a back up pen too!
I have a few nice fountain pens that i'll painstakingly use at home... when out and about/lectures/notes, nah, I want something simple for that.

(I use Parker Frontier ballpoints btw, the one i have in front of me is maybe 3-5 years old and still going)
(edited 3 years ago)
I wouldn't, just because it can be a pain to wait for ink to dry during lectures. Uniball do some gel pen type pens which are lovely to use, comfortable and dry quickly while you're writing. Also fountain pens can leak/be a nuisance - you could try buying an Apple pencil or something to use with an ipad or tablet, you can write naturally and get the added bonus of digitising your notes/moving them around in folders if you use apps like Goodnotes.

Thanks

Hiya!

I don't know anyone who has used a fountain pen at uni. However, if you are used to it and like using it then there's nothing stopping you! You just need to consider if it will smudge and if it will be easier and quicker for you to use a ball point pen which is very commonly used for writing notes.

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Thank you all for your replies, I think I'll just get blister packs until the end of the year where I'll switch back to my inkjoy gel pens :smile:
Fountain pen ink takes a bit longer to dry compared to ballpoint or rollerball ink. This can lead to smudging if you're not careful, especially if you're a left-handed writer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending