The Student Room Group

deleted

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by spliced
if the entry requirements for a course was ‘once science subject required, preferably biology’, and I met the requirements, but not their preference (not doing bio), what are my chances of getting in? Or how greatly would I be disadvantaged??

Usually if you dont meet a subject requirement you will get rejected. However this appears to say you need a science subject. Do you have a science subject as that meet cover you.
It is difficult to know as you meet their subject requirement. I would suggest contacting the university concerned for their advice @McGinger @Admit-One @PQ Can you comment on this
Reply 3
Original post by spliced
if the entry requirements for a course was ‘one science subject required, preferably biology’, and I met the requirements, but not their preference (I take a science, but not bio), what are my chances of getting in? Or how greatly would I be disadvantaged??

They prefer applicants with Biology. You dont have this so they will pick other people first.
And there may not be enough offers left once they get to you.
Its therefore a risky choice - which is okay, but you need to think carefully about making your other choices.
Reply 4
Original post by spliced
Ah I see! When you say they will choose those with bio first, does that mean it’s an overriding factor? So say your overall application is slightly stronger (eg higher predicted, strong GCSEs and ps) than someone else’s (who is taking bio), do they still get preference because of the fact that they take bio?

It really does depend on the course. My youngest for example is choosing zoology. Zoology unis look for students that are doing a Biology and one other science and that included psychology, geography. However there is the odd uni that does a foundation course for people who have not taken biology. So it does depend on what course you are wanting to do.
Reply 5
It would definteily depend on the course. There are many courses where the lack of Biology knowledge at A level would make studies at Uni very difficult to access and the science A level mentioned in the criteria would e refering to A levels that overlap that content, such as chemistry.
So as well as looking at the entry criteria, you would also need to look for supporting modules within the course.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by spliced
Ah I see! When you say they will choose those with bio first, does that mean it’s an overriding factor? So say your overall application is slightly stronger (eg higher predicted, strong GCSEs and ps) than someone else’s (who is taking bio), do they still get preference because of the fact that they take bio?

Ask them

This is exactly the sort of question admissions teams deal with all the time.
Reply 7
Original post by spliced
I was planning on asking around on open day

Make sure you ask Admissions staff and not academics on the subject stand.
Original post by spliced
I have emailed them before, but the response was a little generic and just stated the requirements. Maybe my question wasn’t specific enough. I was planning on asking around on open day

hey @spliced,

This is a good idea - but you might also find that you can speak to admissions staff via the phone or email at different universities, who are the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to entry requirements! I know you can contact them at our university by calling our enquiries line - might be worth checking to see if thats the same at the university you've applied to, or if you can find some details online :smile:

All the best!
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending