The Student Room Group

i used a gel pen in all my exams

basically the pen i've been using i had no idea it was a gel pen until recently because i thought it was just gel grip but turns out it is actual gel ink but ive always used it because its the only good pen for my writing. ive put water on it and it didnt smudge at all and i put it in the microwave for 45 seconds and it was fine but im still really worried plz could someone let me know if they used a gel pen in a exam and what happened?
this is the exact name of the pen Uni-Ball UM-151S Signo Gel Grip Rollerball Pen 0.7mm Black
first off why did you put it in the microwave ;-;

second off it should be fine so long as it doesnt smudge and scans alright. i havent personally done that but ive used uniball pens before and i dont see why they wouldnt work for exams. nothing you can do now, anyway. just use a biro in future <3
Original post by missblueskyelo
basically the pen i've been using i had no idea it was a gel pen until recently because i thought it was just gel grip but turns out it is actual gel ink but ive always used it because its the only good pen for my writing. ive put water on it and it didnt smudge at all and i put it in the microwave for 45 seconds and it was fine but im still really worried plz could someone let me know if they used a gel pen in a exam and what happened?
this is the exact name of the pen Uni-Ball UM-151S Signo Gel Grip Rollerball Pen 0.7mm Black

The pen will most likely be fine. As long as it doesn't smudge easily, can be scanned, and isn't glittery, it should be fine. Either way, if the marker cannot see your response (once scanned), they will flag it and it will be marked from the physical copy. However, do use biro pens for the rest of your exams just to limit the risk.

Edit: I don't recommend people to this (especially as examboards have now specifically advised against using gel pens), but I did use gel pens in my exams previously and it all turned out fine.
(edited 1 year ago)

man put it in the microwave lmao
Original post by lol2468
man put it in the microwave lmao

I think its probably because exam officers sometimes make a big deal about how hot the scanner can get (that's why you can't use friction pens in exams).
Original post by sporkified
first off why did you put it in the microwave ;-;

second off it should be fine so long as it doesnt smudge and scans alright. i havent personally done that but ive used uniball pens before and i dont see why they wouldnt work for exams. nothing you can do now, anyway. just use a biro in future <3

I think she probably put it in the microwave because exam officers sometimes make a big deal about how hot the scanner can get (that's why you can't use friction pens in exams).

First calculate by how much the electrons in the ink radiated (how many electron shells were they excited by) in the microwave. Then work out the wavelength of the microwave radiation and then multiply it by the temperature it reached. Then boom... you would have worked out its gravitational pull of the ink when its placed in the printer and you can now determine if the ink will smudge.
lmao everyone is coming at me for the microwave!! basically i thought that it had something to do with the heat somehow erasing the ink because i know that is for the friction pens but i just wanted to make sure but i mean it was ok so :frown:

Original post by ImmortalClanz
First calculate by how much the electrons in the ink radiated (how many electron shells were they excited by) in the microwave. Then work out the wavelength of the microwave radiation and then multiply it by the temperature it reached. Then boom... you would have worked out its gravitational pull of the ink when its placed in the printer and you can now determine if the ink will smudge.
yes exactly
Original post by jamesh234
I think she probably put it in the microwave because exam officers sometimes make a big deal about how hot the scanner can get (that's why you can't use friction pens in exams).
thanks this is rlly helpful :smile:

Original post by jamesh234
The pen will most likely be fine. As long as it doesn't smudge easily, can be scanned, and isn't glittery, it should be fine. Either way, if the marker cannot see your response (once scanned), they will flag it and it will be marked from the physical copy. However, do use biro pens for the rest of your exams just to limit the risk.

Edit: I don't recommend people to this (especially as examboards have now specifically advised against using gel pens), but I did use gel pens in my exams previously and it all turned out fine.
thanks this is rlly helpful :smile:

No worries - good luck in the rest of your exams and have a nice summer!
Reply 11
Hi, did it turn out to be okay? I’m worried because I used a hybrid pen. Gel/ biro :/
Original post by TSRuser.
Hi, did it turn out to be okay? I’m worried because I used a hybrid pen. Gel/ biro :/

As long as it's legible, and not too light, it doesn't matter.
Reply 13
Ok, thank you!

Original post by Sandtrooper
Reply 14
Original post by TSRuser.

Omg i used a gel pen and had no idea it was a gel pen until a month after the exam😭 im so scared
Reply 15
Original post by Sandtrooper

What if its black but its like 75p from asda

Quick Reply

Latest