The Student Room Group

EPQ titles related to Dopamine.

Hey , I’m really struggling on coming up with an EPQ title based on Dopamine. If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated ! I’m currently doing my Alevels !
Hi Alex (?),

Let me give you some ideas from which you can select/modify one to your taste and interest.

First, let us look at the role of dopamine in human physiology/pathology, yeah?
Ok dopamine is a neurotransmitter in certain regions of the brain e.g. the basal ganglia 9structures in the midbrain named e.g. substantia *****. Here dopamine has an inhibitory action at neuronal synapses. [an opposite [called antagonistic] action in these parts of the brain is mediated by the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Lack of dopamine in the extrapyramidal system causes Parkinson's disease [consists of tremor [shaking], rigidity and dyskinesia].
Too much dopaminergic activity in the brain leads to schizophrenia [a mental illness] - [the situation is much more complex cos there are several types of dopamine receptors [via which neurotransmitters have their effect] e.g. D2a receptors, D1 receptors etc. [don't worry about these at your level],

Amine levels in the brain are related to mood - low levels of amines [not just dopamine but also noradrenaline and 5-HT] can result in depression.

Ok that covers the basics. Now for some ideas:

1. Will the implantation of dopamine secreting stem cells make Parkinson's disease a thing of the past?
2. Can depression be alleviated by the ingestion of dopamine-rich foods?
3. The extrapyramidal side effects of the antipsychotic drugs - is it ethical to enforce therapy or not?

Take your pick - if you need to be directed to websites with info/research papers, please PM me.

Be safe!
M.
@Alexia.rice_

Hellooooooooooooooooo!! Wakie wakie! Check out my answer above - it might help!
I know students like a lie-in, but come on, 48 hours+ is pushing it a bit, ain't it? :colondollar:
Reply 3
How is human behaviour shaped by our dependency on dopamine?
Reply 4
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Hi Alex (?),

Let me give you some ideas from which you can select/modify one to your taste and interest.

First, let us look at the role of dopamine in human physiology/pathology, yeah?
Ok dopamine is a neurotransmitter in certain regions of the brain e.g. the basal ganglia 9structures in the midbrain named e.g. substantia *****. Here dopamine has an inhibitory action at neuronal synapses. [an opposite [called antagonistic] action in these parts of the brain is mediated by the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Lack of dopamine in the extrapyramidal system causes Parkinson's disease [consists of tremor [shaking], rigidity and dyskinesia].
Too much dopaminergic activity in the brain leads to schizophrenia [a mental illness] - [the situation is much more complex cos there are several types of dopamine receptors [via which neurotransmitters have their effect] e.g. D2a receptors, D1 receptors etc. [don't worry about these at your level],

Amine levels in the brain are related to mood - low levels of amines [not just dopamine but also noradrenaline and 5-HT] can result in depression.

Ok that covers the basics. Now for some ideas:

1. Will the implantation of dopamine secreting stem cells make Parkinson's disease a thing of the past?
2. Can depression be alleviated by the ingestion of dopamine-rich foods?
3. The extrapyramidal side effects of the antipsychotic drugs - is it ethical to enforce therapy or not?

Take your pick - if you need to be directed to websites with info/research papers, please PM me.

Be safe!
M.

Hello,
I have just seen this post and the questions are really intresting and really unique.
Is it possible to have some info/research papers for the 1st and 2nd question please, and also some tips on where to get he information, and what's the best way to research.
I am currently in year 12 so I don't really know much skills on research.

Many thanks
Sunny
Original post by Sunny-hi
Hello,
I have just seen this post and the questions are really intresting and really unique.
Is it possible to have some info/research papers for the 1st and 2nd question please, and also some tips on where to get he information, and what's the best way to research.
I am currently in year 12 so I don't really know much skills on research.

Many thanks
Sunny

Hi young man!

I shall provide you with some info soon - watch this space.

In the meantime enter some relevant search terms at:-

National Center for Biotechnology Information (nih.gov) - select PMC from databases dropdown top left [you have access to literally miliions of full-text medical papers FOC].

Google Scholar

M
Reply 6
Thank you so much. Will definetly look into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending