The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What is up with KCL unistats data/graduate prospects?

Hi, I am confused as on the one hand I read that KCL has a great reputation and is great for jobs but on the Unistats website the stats for average salary after 5 years are not really much better than average. Even the league tables say that graduate prospects are not great, also it does not list the actual data for the degree just broad social sciences data on unistats. Is KCL just really bad when it comes to providing the data or is it not that good for jobs? Thanks

This is what I am talking about:
https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10003645/UBSH3SSWE/Full-time/
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/economics?tabletype=full-table
Those stats are all above average. What sort of stats are you expecting to see?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Depends but its a prestigious Russell Group uni in the centre of London. A family member went Kings and got a 50K salary for his year in industry and a job offer for when he graduated but he did Computer Science and worked for a well known bank. Depends on your skills, course ,your performance while in uni etc.
Reply 3
It’s not really, Swansea has practically the same on unistats. I am confused as everyone has been saying how it’s like one of the best universities in the country and great for graduate prospects but compared to other universities the stats are quite average.
Original post by mattwj10
It’s not really, Swansea has practically the same on unistats. I am confused as everyone has been saying how it’s like one of the best universities in the country and great for graduate prospects but compared to other universities the stats are quite average.

so don't go there then
Reply 5
Yeah I won’t be, the point of my question was to find out if there was a reason for the data being so low as I read that KCL was not very good at collecting it.
Yeah I won’t be, the point of my question was to find out if there was a reason for the data being so low as I read that KCL was not very good at collecting it.

KCL don't collect that data on discoveruni. The salary data comes from HMRC and the DWP, the graduate employment data is collected by a market research agency employed by HESA.

The salary data shows medians and interquartile ranges for graduates of social science degrees 3-5 years ago who were employed in the UK in the 2018/19 tax year. It's really not something to get concerned about if you're not due to graduate until 2024 or later and you're taking Economics and not International Relations.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
KCL don't collect that data on discoveruni. The salary data comes from HMRC and the DWP, the graduate employment data is collected by a market research agency employed by HESA.

The salary data shows medians and interquartile ranges for graduates of social science degrees 3-5 years ago who were employed in the UK in the 2018/19 tax year. It's really not something to get concerned about if you're not due to graduate until 2024 or later and you're taking Economics and not International Relations.

Thanks, why what is up with international relations? I was considering applying to that and politics at UCL.
Thanks, why what is up with international relations? I was considering applying to that and politics at UCL.

economics graduates tend to be more financially motivated (and so more likely to go into financially lucrative careers). IR grads are more likely to end up working for an NGO (on good money but not a fortune) - so on average their graduate salary data will be lower than the econ grads.
Do postgraduates of biomedical science from kcl earn well?

Quick Reply

Latest