The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is how dedicated I aspire to be. Seriously, thank you for all your guidance, we appreiciate it so much. :smile:

Also, love the new username. :rofl:
(edited 4 years ago)
Amazing data.....am I missing something or is there not much diversity data from Exeter? None on BME for example :confused:
(edited 4 years ago)
None of this will tell you if you will enjoy the course, or enjoy being at that Uni, or get a First.

Go to Open Days - and make your own decisions.
I have only looked at your LNAT sheet - and that has too many assumptions.

All Universities use the essay section differently and mark differently - so comparing these supposed scores on a graph is a bit daft. Also, there is no 'ratio' - if a University has higher numbers of applicants regardless of the number of places then clearly the incidence of high scores is likely to be higher. Nottingham's spike is probably because it has a cut-off score. These are application scores - not offer scores. You have also not differentiated between Home/Overseas - many Universities will treat these applications differently.

So, statistics are wonderful - but unless you acknowledge context, and understand that context, they can provide very misleading conclusions. This is the sort of 'higher thinking' you will learn at University - this article is a good place to start https://www.datapine.com/blog/misleading-statistics-and-data/
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
None of this will tell you if you will enjoy the course, or enjoy being at that Uni, or get a First.

Go to Open Days - and make your own decisions.

True but we are constantly being asked questions about students chances of being accepted by particular Law schools etc so the more objective information we have access to the better. I agree that young people should attend Open Days if possible, but non UK students can find them problematic, whilst even UK schools often limit the number of days off students are allowed for this purpose to about 3 per academic year.
Original post by harrysbar
Amazing data.....am I missing something or is there not much diversity data from Exeter? None on BME for example :confused:

You actually read most of the data? My lazy a$$ downloaded it for later. Anyways, I was hoping there would be some data on students resitting and how likely it is that they would receive offers. However, having emailed all the unis I am interested in, it would seem that they all consider applicants using a 'holistic approach' (mhm sure). Durham (emailed almost all colleges) got back to me with one person saying "oh you are more than capable!" and I could feel lies right through my computer screen. Most colleges didn't get back. I suppose I will find out when I apply and see how that goes. I am having second thoughts, perhaps I should apply after I receive grades in the summer 2020? Though I have no plans for a gap year and thus I shall apply this year regardless and hope I receive some offers. I hope I am not wasting my time making an application via UCAS this year.

By the way, , sorry to bother but did you make a request for data regarding resitting students and the likelihood of them receiving offers?
(edited 4 years ago)
I wouldn't say I've read most of it - it will take some time to digest and I had lunch in a nice Italian restaurant and digested their offerings instead :biggrin:

But Lioness, you should definitely apply this year, what have you got to lose? You should apply to Durham and 4 other places and take it from there. You are not wasting your time you are just suffering a temporary loss of confidence and that is why the Law forum is here, to encourage you to press on.
I wouldn't say I've read most of it - it will take some time to digest and I had lunch in a nice Italian restaurant and digested their offerings instead :biggrin:

But Lioness, you should definitely apply this year, what have you got to lose? You should apply to Durham and 4 other places and take it from there. You are not wasting your time you are just suffering a temporary loss of confidence and that is why the Law forum is here, to encourage you to press on.

At least one of us is living her best life. :biggrin:

Thank you. :hugs: I hope it is temporary.
(edited 4 years ago)
You break my heart. jk

It is alright and anyways I think I should stop worrying about the data and just worry about my own application. The emails I got back from Durham (surprisingly few in comparison to the responses from Oxbridge) instructed me to apply without worrying too much about resitting. I suppose we will see if I get offers this year (highly doubt I will from Durham), but I won't know if I don't apply. Thank you so much for trying though, really appreciate it! :smile:
That's the spirit, Lioness, you will never know if you don't apply. It won't be the end of the world if you get one rejection, better than always wondering "what if?" in any case
That's the spirit, Lioness, you will never know if you don't apply. It won't be the end of the world if you get one rejection, better than always wondering "what if?" in any case

Please call me Lost for now. :rofl:
Also, I have been thinking quite deeply as of late and have arrived at the conclusion that delivering bad news should be made a criminal offense. Your thoughts on this?

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd situation. I was wondering whether I should preserve the energy that goes into applying for revision and apply with results but then again, I don't fancy another gap year. :hugs: Thank you for being so encouraging Harrys, means a lot.
Ok, you're Lost :wink:

I think you should apply this year, definitely - just don't overthink it too much, get your application in and forget about it. Bad news.....I've thought about delivering it and receiving it, and on the whole, I'm against the whole thing
Ok, you're Lost :wink:

I think you should apply this year, definitely - just don't overthink it too much, get your application in and forget about it. Bad news.....I've thought about delivering it and receiving it, and on the whole, I'm against the whole thing

You never have bad news to deliver, only good. What is up with people lying to me today?

x
(edited 4 years ago)
I am feeling dumb tongiht, I am afraid I don't understand. :confused:

Edit: It is alright, I am not after the data anymore. Could have been nice for future candidates though. I thought there would be no issue for the uni to provide data for the % of student who were resitting and received offers from them. I didn't think that was asking for too much. Oh well, thank you for updating anyways.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was so TeMPteD to delete my reply.

Oooooh..... *takes him 10 seconds to say the word* I understand. I suppose the only way to find out is by applying, so....
(edited 4 years ago)
UCAS records are wiped off most University systems each year, and subsequent student records will hold only results not predictions.

If you want resit data, you'll have to go to UCAS for it - and they charge.
I see you are choosing personal pronouns for me now. You are too helpful.

Original post by returnmigrant
UCAS records are wiped off most University systems each year, and subsequent student records will hold only results not predictions.

If you want resit data, you'll have to go to UCAS for it - and they charge.

Alright, thank you.
Why is the % of graduates doing further study after 6 months so low at KCL, yet so high at Sussex? There's clearly a correlation between the % in further study and actual legal employment prospects (as a large portion of the graduates in that category will be doing the LPC/BPTC), so what's behind this discrepancy?
Taking the other data into consideration, it would be easier to match KCL to UCL, as they probably the most similar graduate profile out of all of the ones featured in this compilation (in terms of diversity, graduate domicile and A-level/IB grades), yet there's still a massive difference of 12%. What do you think that comes down to?
That's true, but I doubt the proportion of graduates doing Master's will be drastically different at the various law schools. The proportion of graduates in further study in aggregate may not matter (as we don't know how many are doing sponsored LPCs and how many are doing LLM), but what matters is how it compares to the proportion of another law school (29% at Exeter v. 48% at LSE, for instance. I doubt that there is a massive difference (which there is between the respective percentages) in the proportion of LSE and Exeter grads doing the LLM). I do agree that this specific piece of data isn't very telling, as there's a whole host of things that could be behind that (most of which you've addressed).

12% is referring to the UCL-KCL difference in terms of the % in further study. Similar demographics/graduate profiles, different outcomes. Wonder what that boils down to.

You're a hero for compiling this stuff, by the way.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending