The Student Room Group

Mature student 2nd attempt - Declare on PS?

Hi, Im just about to make an application for 2009 entry to university.
I have 2 A-Levels from 1997 in Law and Sociology and did a Science foundation year at Southamptn uni. I failed by about 3% so I went on to study Environment and Society with Politics at New College instead of the main uni and then dropped out after my second year. I never did anything more than the minimum of work although I had a very active social life and can't remember much of what I studied at all. It wasn't that I had any problems with the work I just wasn't interested at that time.

I am extremely keen to return to education and can't wait to get back into study but don't know if any Unis would consider me given my background. I am going to New Zealand in 4 weeks time on a working holiday visa and intend to do alot of conservation work and working for companies with an environmental conscience and generally using my down time to read up on the subject. I have saved enough money to go to uni when I get back but I want to go to one of the better ones and lack the qualifications.

Is it better to admit that this is my second attempt at study or just avoid talking about it. It doesn't have to show on my CV as I always worked while studying.
This is the sort of situation where it might be better to establish communication with selected admissions tutors before applying. Talk to target universities, establish their attitude and apply accordingly. Many will be impressed that you have matured late and wish to study, particularly as it sounds as if you can back up your enthusiasm with relevant ECs.

Latest

Trending

Trending