The Student Room Group

I want to withdraw from my a levels but I have taken two exams already

I am a retake student and I have been having severe nervous breakdowns and I do not feel fit to take the rest of my exams I was wondering if I could withdraw from them and just apply with my old grades through clearing or will they just fail me for these exams please help me I have already taken two exams will this affect anything
(edited 10 months ago)
You can withdraw from your remaining exams, but you will still get a grade (probably a U as you haven't completed all the assessments I would guess) and you will still need to declare this when you apply through UCAS. Whether universities have an issue with that or not probably depends on the university and course in question, although retaking an exam and getting a lower result (or a U in this case from not completing all the exams) might be a bit of a red flag.

You can see if you can apply for mitigating/extenuating circumstances with the exam board. Barring that you could just not take the remaining exams this year, then retake them all fresh next year where you're hopefully in a better situation.
i know it’s hard but it would be a real shame to quit now I don’t know if you would keep the old grades I would suspect that you would keep the i mean you achieved them didn’t you?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
You can withdraw from your remaining exams, but you will still get a grade (probably a U as you haven't completed all the assessments I would guess) and you will still need to declare this when you apply through UCAS. Whether universities have an issue with that or not probably depends on the university and course in question, although retaking an exam and getting a lower result (or a U in this case from not completing all the exams) might be a bit of a red flag.

You can see if you can apply for mitigating/extenuating circumstances with the exam board. Barring that you could just not take the remaining exams this year, then retake them all fresh next year where you're hopefully in a better situation.

Would I not be able to use my old grades for clearing
Original post by fizaelora
Would I not be able to use my old grades for clearing

My understanding is yes, but that you would need to list that you had attempted the exams for the new qualifications as well (and what results you got, if applicable). As UCAS requires you declare all qualifications and attempted qualifications.

Just as if you got better grades in these resits, my understanding is you would still need to declare the original sitting!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jonathanemptage
i know it’s hard but it would be a real shame to quit now I don’t know if you would keep the old grades I would suspect that you would keep the i mean you achieved them didn’t you?

I'm not gonna quit despite wanting to so badly I'm just gonna sit through them
I'm not gonna quit despite wanting to so badly I'm just gonna sit through them

So... attempt them or are you just going to sit there ?
Reply 7
Original post by jonathanemptage
So... attempt them or are you just going to sit there ?

Yeah that's what I mean
Yeah that's what I mean

I think that’s a good idea you never know you might de better than you think. Good luck dude.

Quick Reply

Latest