The Student Room Group

Citing Sources

I'm doing my first mini-project for my degree, basically finding 6 definitions of politics putting them down, analysing them and referencing them. It's for the tutorial module and they're mostly interested in our referencing skills.

However I'm putting in Aristotle's book "The Politics" but a translated copy from 1967 so how would I go about citing this... Do I include the original date of publication or do I just put in:

Aristotle (1967) The Politics Translated by Sinclair, T. A., Penguin, London

Thanks in advance...
Reply 1
You've done the right thing. In the bibliography you would put what you have written above and in the text where you quoted or referred to it you'd put (Aristotle, 1967: 23) for example if you were referring to page 23.

This is known as the author and date method or Harvard system. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:h:arvard_referencing

The other system is the footnotes or endnotes method and formally known as the Oxford system. I call it the pain-in-the-arrse system as you end up littering you work with tiny little numbers and ibids and op cits and other latin...

Choose one system or the other don't mix the two.
Ad
Reply 2
I don't know why a smiley appeared in the middle of the link above, but it still works...

Ad
Reply 3
adelante
You've done the right thing. In the bibliography you would put what you have written above and in the text where you quoted or referred to it you'd put (Aristotle, 1967: 23) for example if you were referring to page 23.

This is known as the author and date method or Harvard system. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:h:arvard_referencing

The other system is the footnotes or endnotes method and formally known as the Oxford system. I call it the pain-in-the-arrse system as you end up littering you work with tiny little numbers and ibids and op cits and other latin...

Choose one system or the other don't mix the two.
Ad

Thankyou very much!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending