The Student Room Group

Uni of Sussex or uni of Plymouth

So I’ve got a conditional offer from the uni of Sussex for “Life science with a foundation year” (It’s basically a year of doing biology/chemistry and then going on to do a chemistry degree - that’s what I will be doing if I go), and an unconditional offer from the university of Plymouth for Bsc Chemistry. I’m extremely unsure which one to choose.

When it came to the virtual open days, I found Plymouth much more informative, since it spoke about the actual university & city as well as the chemistry course. I also like how the support system sounds and how the labs are accredited. (I can’t remember the name I think it’s ISC maybe??). I found the Sussex virtual open day more informative about the course and they didn’t speak much about the Uni.

I live 1hr and 30 mins away from Brighton Via train and around 3/4 hours away from Plymouth by train. I’ve visited Brighton lots of times and I really like the city and town, I love the marina especially in the summer when they had these live concerts. I also love how busy Brighton is and it feels like a mini London, I also got this feeling of being at home there. And I love all the shops and the lanes there.

Unfortunately due to covid, I’ve never visited Plymouth before which makes choosing between the two even more difficult. I’ve watched some videos of Plymouth and I think it looks quite nice, especially the lighthouse and the beach.

When looking at the two Unis, Sussex is a lot less modern and the accommodation is more expensive, also the university is a bit far from the city centre so I’m not sure if that will become costly or annoying when it comes to travelling back and forth. The Uni of Plymouth is a lot more modern and the Uni is directly in the city centre, the accommodation is cheaper than Sussex.

All in all I love the city of Brighton, especially for shopping/the pier/the marina/there’s lots of things to do. But I’m not sure if I will find it costly or if it will be annoying to travel back and forth from city centre, it’s only a 15 minute train journey so that’s not too bad. I prefer train journeys to buses lmao. The city of Plymouth does look nice and I like the look of the beach, but it’s really frustrating not being able to visit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending