The Student Room Group

Plymouth vs Liverpool Dentistry 2024

Hello all
I’ve received offers for dentistry 2024 entry from Birmingham, Liverpool and Plymouth, however I’m not really considering Birmingham. I was wondering if anyone knew the pros and cons of Liverpool dentistry and Plymouth dentistry and what people’s opinions are about them.

Many thanks
Original post by MIL1420
Hello all
I’ve received offers for dentistry 2024 entry from Birmingham, Liverpool and Plymouth, however I’m not really considering Birmingham. I was wondering if anyone knew the pros and cons of Liverpool dentistry and Plymouth dentistry and what people’s opinions are about them.
Many thanks

Hey, my brother is the president of the dental society at Leeds uni, he’s told me that apparently Plymouth is like the best uni in terms of the clinical experience you get
Original post by MIL1420
Hello all
Many thanks

Hey I’ve just found out some more information for you! So as I said before clinically Plymouth is great, you get to do so many treatments from 2nd year that you wouldn't get to do in other unis, including Liverpool til much later on, grads from Plymouth find it much easier settling into real practice because of how many more fillings, root canals etc they've done. But apparently there's long commutes to Exeter every clinic day. And the social life is dry. Like compared to Liverpool, if you want a more fun city life, take that into account. Also, a lot of people at other unis don't rlly know much about how Liverpool are finding it as they don't come to the BDSA events (all the dental schools combined) but Plymouth do. Hope this helps!!
Reply 3
Original post by baharsabet
Hey I’ve just found out some more information for you! So as I said before clinically Plymouth is great, you get to do so many treatments from 2nd year that you wouldn't get to do in other unis, including Liverpool til much later on, grads from Plymouth find it much easier settling into real practice because of how many more fillings, root canals etc they've done. But apparently there's long commutes to Exeter every clinic day. And the social life is dry. Like compared to Liverpool, if you want a more fun city life, take that into account. Also, a lot of people at other unis don't rlly know much about how Liverpool are finding it as they don't come to the BDSA events (all the dental schools combined) but Plymouth do. Hope this helps!!

Thank you for all of this information, this is really helpful 🙂 I'm still contemplating and leaning more towards Liverpool due to the city life being more vibrant than Plymouth.
Original post by MIL1420
Thank you for all of this information, this is really helpful 🙂 I'm still contemplating and leaning more towards Liverpool due to the city life being more vibrant than Plymouth.

Yeah I think that’s a big factor to consider. Also would you rather stay close to home or is that not really something you’re considering? Let me know if you have any specific questions, I might be able to find out for you
Reply 5
Original post by baharsabet
Yeah I think that’s a big factor to consider. Also would you rather stay close to home or is that not really something you’re considering? Let me know if you have any specific questions, I might be able to find out for you

To be honest, I'm not really looking to stay close to home (plymouth is defo way closer to where I live) as I wanted to kind of explore bigger cities, after all I'll only be 18 once aha. Also I've heard that things likes Post Graduation have a better structure if I were to do Dentistry from a bigger/well established Uni like Liverpool.

Quick Reply

Latest