The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

DO NOT GO TO UEL (university of east london) PLEASE

I currently study at UEL, (university of east london) and it is by far an awful university. The support staff are incompotent. The admin staff-even worse. I am so disappointed by the department I study in, who have treated students with a complete disregard. This is not discussed enough. The teaching is sub-standard, stretching to uninformative. I cannot wait to get out of here. I urge everyone not to study here. Wellbeing and mental health are not valued or even remotely considered. I have worked and studied at better institutes that reply to student emails, exert humanity and give you a better education. I am currently undergoing a complaint. My experience is shared amongst many of my cohort. Please when choosing a university, look at the student support and satisfaction percentage and choose accordingly. I only wish I had.
There is a thread of a similar nature about every single university in the UK. Some have more truth to them than others/ less hyperbole, some universities get multiple threads made about them.
They aren't generally met with much enthusiasm because of the sheer volume of them, many appear vindictive/ dishonest in nature.
(edited 3 years ago)
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
yes I am going to be highly influenced by a post by an stranger online, obviously :rolleyes:
Also, maybe you are new to TSR, but posting this 3 times in a short period of time, really isn't adding to your credibility.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6926306
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6926318
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
Also, maybe you are new to TSR, but posting this 3 times in a short period of time, really isn't adding to your credibility.

GlassAlice, the most credible person on TSR.
Original post by Luxys
GlassAlice, the most credible person on TSR.

I wouldn't say that, but thank you.
Reply 6
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6926318

Thank you for following my posts so closely, unfortunately I actually posted 9 times in a short period of time...

Nevertheless, this was to emphasise and spread the word that this university is absolutely shocking for some of the following reasons:
The Disability team offer very minimum support
The student hub are incompotent in assigning students correct modules or addressing any admin issue.
There is no extension policy, so students who struggle have to go through a lengthy extenuating circumstances procedure
The teaching staff were so rude, self indulgent in their own research, and incapable of teaching, also don't respond to emails.

This is an opinion that is shared amongst many in my cohort. Unlike you, I am not interested in hating on others, I have posted (for first time in my life) as I feel it's my responsibility. Thus do take or leave the advice.
Original post by YanAmous
Thank you for following my posts so closely, unfortunately I actually posted 9 times in a short period of time...

Nevertheless, this was to emphasise and spread the word that this university is absolutely shocking for some of the following reasons:
The student hub are incompotent in assigning students correct modules or addressing any admin issue.
There is no extension policy, so students who struggle have to go through a lengthy extenuating circumstances procedure
The teaching staff were so rude, self indulgent in their own research, and incapable of teaching, also don't respond to emails.

This is an opinion that is shared amongst many in my cohort. Unlike you, I am not interested in hating on others, I have posted (for first time in my life) as I feel it's my responsibility. Thus do take or leave the advice.

You've got a very interesting view of what constitutes hate.
You should probably be aware, making multiple identical posts is against TSR rules.

I don't really know why you would think that a series of non-specific & unverified compliants about a university would be taken particularly seriously by anyone.
I don't think the UEL is on many people's to go lists anyway.
i obviously don't want an asteroid to hit earth... but if it had to, and it had to hit a major city, i would offer up London as the best place for it to hit
There is a thread of a similar nature about every single university in the UK. Some have more truth to them than others/ less hyperbole, some universities get multiple threads made about them.
They aren't generally met with much enthusiasm because of the sheer volume of them, many appear vindictive/ dishonest in nature.

While there may not be much evidence suggesting this user's "credibility", I don't believe there is enough evidence to suggest that they are deliberately trying to be vindictive either. They even wrote "Please when choosing a university, look at the student support and satisfaction percentage and choose accordingly. I only wish I had."

This statement merely encourages prospective students to not just glance over the student satisfaction ratings, which I think is reasonable advice. Regardless of whether you think anyone would take these complaints seriously, this person has a right to complain. People can decide for themselves whether to take it seriously or not.

P.S. Feel free to check my profile should you have any doubts of my credibility.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by studygirl388
While there may not be much evidence suggesting this user's "credibility", I don't believe there is enough evidence to suggest that they are deliberately trying to be vindictive either. They even wrote "Please when choosing a university, look at the student support and satisfaction percentage and choose accordingly. I only wish I had."

This statement merely encourages prospective students to not just glance over the student satisfaction ratings, which I think is reasonable advice. Regardless of whether you think anyone would take these complaints seriously, this person has a right to complain. People can decide for themselves whether to take it seriously or not.

Thank you for taking the time to empower a stranger to come forward and listen to their concerns, rather than dismissing it or questioning it's credibility. That was precisely my point, to encourage others to check the student satifaction ratings and to take or leave the advice. My perceived credibility is irrelavant to me, just here to share my experience, with a community.
Thank you for taking the time to empower a stranger to come forward and listen to their concerns, rather than dismissing it or questioning it's credibility. That was precisely my point, to encourage others to check the student satifaction ratings and to take or leave the advice. My perceived credibility is irrelavant to me, just here to share my experience, with a community.

You are absolutely right to stress this. Given my daughters experience at her uni during the pandemic a lot more questions need to be asked how institutions have handled things..
Left a good thoughtout post on one of the other identical threads you created, but it seems the thread has been deleted. How sad...

I agree with both sides here. Lots of unis across the rankings have terrible teaching, and this person's comments cannot be taken as truth. No one goes to UEL for teaching excellence anyway. It is usually due to lower grades or because of the locality of the university.

However, the thread start does request you do your own research into it, so they aren't in the wrong.
I need to go back to sleep again I don't know why I woke up and read this- I am happy about it though, I see it as a sort of 'heads up'.
Just stumbled on this attempting to look for a uni guideline on google. I agree 100%. Save yourselves before its too late. The teaching is horrible, the staff couldn't care less, as for mental health? LOL forget about it. There's NO support. They're so harsh and unhelpful, i attempted to transfer uni's but couldn't because my modules were not the same in the first year. It's honestly bottom of the barrel.
Original post by Anonymous
Just stumbled on this attempting to look for a uni guideline on google. I agree 100%. Save yourselves before its too late. The teaching is horrible, the staff couldn't care less, as for mental health? LOL forget about it. There's NO support. They're so harsh and unhelpful, i attempted to transfer uni's but couldn't because my modules were not the same in the first year. It's honestly bottom of the barrel.

I have a friend at UEL in his final year.

He loves gaming, and hates studying. He said he hasn’t actually attended uni since first year and he’s on track for a first class degree. His friend taps him in using his card.

I can verify he’s always at home playing games almost all day. So if you want to live this lifestyle and get an easy degree, go UEL.

i am a current student and i agree with you on this. i wish i could graduate faster just to get out of here. i only have one year left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending