The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Work Experience and Voluntary Work [Part 2 of 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ageshallnot
@ecolier might be able to help.

Thank you :smile: I'll go check
(edited 3 years ago)
Read this advice from the Medical Schools Council about getting work experience during Covid : https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/work-experience
Reply 22
Original post by DreamingofMedic
oh thank you :smile: I am currently doing the Spirngpod work experience and it's very good. Ooohh how did you ask your local area? Did you send posters around?

I put a post on facebook asking if anyone need any extra help and got an overwhelming response! It's definitely in demand at these times, especially when you do it for free! :smile:
Hey guys since I am <18 yrs old, i am finding it difficult to find volunteering online, can anyone help me pls? I want to do medicine in the future but I don't have much volunteering and I am worried

Right now I am volunteering as a covid vaccination steward which is good experience for a bit of public/patient interaction during lockdown. You have to look around for application details depending on your city but mine only said you have to be 16 or older to apply x
Thank you :smile: I'll go check it out

Ecolier is a doctor who advises would-be medical students on TSR, not an "it"! 😁
Reply 25
Due to covid I wasn't able to get the work experience I wanted during summer. Ive done an online medic mentor work experience. I did a german podcast but I don't think that'll help. Im also a mentor to year 7. Im a part of CAFOD. Hopefully I will get some GP practise work experience. Is this enough??
Original post by Nelmes1
Due to covid I wasn't able to get the work experience I wanted during summer. Ive done an online medic mentor work experience. I did a german podcast but I don't think that'll help. Im also a mentor to year 7. Im a part of CAFOD. Hopefully I will get some GP practise work experience. Is this enough??

Advice from the Medical Schools Council here : https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/work-experience
So basically, I need some work experience to increase my chances to get into Medicine. Don't ask why but I only got about 3 months to get a placement before my interview.

I currently found two programs,

this program lets me travel to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks and cost around £3k

https://www.globalpremeds.com/hospital-doctor-shadowing/

and this other one is in London and cost £1.7k

https://www.premedprojects.co.uk/medicine-work-experience-london-1-week

Now I'm 19 years old and have no prior history of medical experience so I must get some experience to have any chance , Money isn't really an Issue (I'm a self-made before anyone says daddys money) but I just want something that is going to be enough.

I actually really wanted to get some experience in America because I want to visit the country but I can't find a program and I think the visa may be a issue to get in time but any tips please?
Hi , firstly thanks for your reply.

1) thansk for the advice and I have signed up for the brighton program however is the program based in london even slightly worth it? I don't really just want to have online experience.

2) Can I also ask if it's worth to mention my prior achievements in the interview? like for example how I have a very large youtube fanbase (I don't want to say exactly how large but I have quite a big viewerbase) or even how I earn £850 a day on average through trading?

Obivously this is purely to show my dedication and NOT to brag or anything but would this kind of stuff look good or just make me look like a big ego idiot?
Reply 29
Original post by FakeNobody
So basically, I need some work experience to increase my chances to get into Medicine. Don't ask why but I only got about 3 months to get a placement before my interview.

I currently found two programs,

this program lets me travel to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks and cost around £3k

https://www.globalpremeds.com/hospital-doctor-shadowing/

and this other one is in London and cost £1.7k

https://www.premedprojects.co.uk/medicine-work-experience-london-1-week

Now I'm 19 years old and have no prior history of medical experience so I must get some experience to have any chance , Money isn't really an Issue (I'm a self-made before anyone says daddys money) but I just want something that is going to be enough.

I actually really wanted to get some experience in America because I want to visit the country but I can't find a program and I think the visa may be a issue to get in time but any tips please?

You are better off looking for a volunteer role or job in a hospital, care home, homeless shelter, soup kitchen/food bank, riding for disbled, etc etc. Even online befriending/calling isolated and vulnerable people gives relevant experience for a medicine application. Now face to face volunteering is hard to obtain, due to covid, but are you able to work, eg as a HEalthcare, Care Assisteant etc. This will give you plenty to talk about at medical school interviews
Original post by GANFYD
You are better off looking for a volunteer role or job in a hospital, care home, homeless shelter, soup kitchen/food bank, riding for disbled, etc etc. Even online befriending/calling isolated and vulnerable people gives relevant experience for a medicine application. Now face to face volunteering is hard to obtain, due to covid, but are you able to work, eg as a HEalthcare, Care Assisteant etc. This will give you plenty to talk about at medical school interviews

yeah but during covid, its really hard to get anything at all. hence why I was willing to spend more than £3k for a placement.
Reply 31
yeah but during covid, its really hard to get anything at all. hence why I was willing to spend more than £3k for a placement.

There are still places looking for volunteers or employees, you just have to be resourceful and look around a bit. You are unlikely to gain anything useful from something that is there as a profit-generating process
Original post by GANFYD
There are still places looking for volunteers or employees, you just have to be resourceful and look around a bit. You are unlikely to gain anything useful from something that is there as a profit-generating process

oh , would you say its worth emailing a few locals GPs and ask if I can shadow or is that not allowed in corona
Reply 33
oh , would you say its worth emailing a few locals GPs and ask if I can shadow or is that not allowed in corona

I would be pretty sure there is no shadowing going on at present, people are just too busy and the risks are too high
But look up volunteering and become a befriender, or help out at a soup kitchen or food bank, see if there is a weekend or evening shift at a care home or whether the hospital needs volunteers. Look at the Royal Voluntary Service website or check out your local Hospital Trust website for opportunites. A bit will depend on where you live, but you won't know if you don't look!
Original post by Omair1201
none of the medical schools I applied to asked for proof, as long as you're able to reflect on what you have learnt, but I know Warwick (not sure of any others) asks for 70 hours so if I were you, there would be no harm in asking the doctor you're shadowing to write a reference showing that you've done some work experience just in case you do need it :smile:.
@ecolier may be able to help you further.

Hi, do other med schools ask for a certain amount of hours & how did you find out Warwick asks for 70?
Original post by Rara345
Hi, do other med schools ask for a certain amount of hours & how did you find out Warwick asks for 70?

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/workex/ - all information is on their website.
if you go to the websites of the universities you're interested in, they have a section on entry requirements, usually academics (grades, UCAT, etc.) and non-academic (work experience, volunteering, etc.).
i applied to all the scottish universities, except dundee, and they all expect you to have shown interest and exploration in the career through work experience and/or volunteering, but there was no certain amount of hours required.
Original post by Omair1201
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/workex/ - all information is on their website.
if you go to the websites of the universities you're interested in, they have a section on entry requirements, usually academics (grades, UCAT, etc.) and non-academic (work experience, volunteering, etc.).
i applied to all the scottish universities, except dundee, and they all expect you to have shown interest and exploration in the career through work experience and/or volunteering, but there was no certain amount of hours required.

okay ty!!
Hi!

I have been trying to get 'hands-on-care' experience for graduate medicine for the past three years. I have an opportunity by administering the Covid-19 vaccine. I am desperate to smash it and secure a place onto the course.

Has anyone had the interview and could anyone share their experience/questions? I have a lot riding on it and I am stressed out.
The topics that would be asked about were stated in the email sent to me confirming my interview time and date. The interview for me was pretty relaxed and it was just an opportunity to get to know me and to then let me know the next steps of the process.
Original post by Emily5243
The topics that would be asked about were stated in the email sent to me confirming my interview time and date. The interview for me was pretty relaxed and it was just an opportunity to get to know me and to then let me know the next steps of the process.

Thanks for replying. I feel assured already. :smile: So, is the questions/topics in the e-mail the only thing I should look out for? Did you get through? I really want to get into it but scared I'll mess it up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending