The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Work Experience and Voluntary Work [Part 2 of 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bazookaboobs
Thanks for replying. I feel assured already. :smile: So, is the questions/topics in the e-mail the only thing I should look out for? Did you get through? I really want to get into it but scared I'll mess it up.

The interviewer only asked me about those topics in the email so I assume that is the same for everyone. I got through and did my face-to-face training last week so now just waiting to find out how to book onto shifts and get started!
Original post by Emily5243
The interviewer only asked me about those topics in the email so I assume that is the same for everyone. I got through and did my face-to-face training last week so now just waiting to find out how to book onto shifts and get started!

Was it Paul Rook? ok, great - I'll focus on what they have sent - any tips, please? Well done for getting through! I am awful at interviews but really want this, really stressed!
Was it Paul Rook? ok, great - I'll focus on what they have sent - any tips, please? Well done for getting through! I am awful at interviews but really want this, really stressed!

I'll not say who my interviewer was. You could prepare some bullet points for the topics mentioned so you have something to say about everything. I know it's difficult but try not to stress too much - just have an understanding of the role of the vaccinator and why you'll be suitable for it. Good luck!
Hi I’m in year 11 and I’m thinking of starting volunteering as a therapeutic care volunteer at an NHS hospital. I know many people volunteer at care homes. How would being a TCV be perceived when applying to medicine is it better to do volunteering at a care home or is it pretty much the same. Just to add I will also be doing some work experience as well e.g. shadowing a consultant, surgeon etc
Reply 44
Personally I think it’s more about the reflection. Like after volunteering, think to yourself what you’ve learnt, how this reflect on the medical field or your passion towards medicine. The work experience/volunteering where you can describe and reflect more is the one that is better. Also just one work experience where you’ve reflected well is much better than just listing all of the places you’ve shadowed etc
Original post by Yazomi
Personally I think it’s more about the reflection. Like after volunteering, think to yourself what you’ve learnt, how this reflect on the medical field or your passion towards medicine. The work experience/volunteering where you can describe and reflect more is the one that is better. Also just one work experience where you’ve reflected well is much better than just listing all of the places you’ve shadowed etc

Thank you. What I mean is medical schools (correct me if I’m wrong) often like some work experience and some volunteering (usually spanning 6-18 months). Work experience and volunterring are seen as two separate things. It might seem stupid but would I get a similar experience and reflection if I chose to do volunteer as a therapeutic carer volunteer as volunteering for a care home. I agree that reflection is important hence I’m asking which is the best for that. I don’t want any valuable experience being compromised.
Hi everyone, just wanted to hop on here as I'm quite overwhelmed with the whole finding medical work experience during COVID. I've seemed to notice that everyone around me has some kind of work experience organised whilst I'm still searching. I'm scared I will not find anything as I'm the first one in my family to apply to medicine or even go to university. Does anyone have any tips on how to get relevant work experience? (doesn't necessarily have to be in a hospital) I've tried applying for care homes but most need previous experience in healthcare or a drivers license (which I don't have as I'm only in year 12). I'm thinking of volunteering for a cancer research charity shop but would prefer gaining experience by directly providing care for people. Any websites or organisations would be much appreciated. Thank you
Hi I can't seem to find any type of work experience or do volunteering. I'm really hoping to help people but all of the ones that I did find are for 16 and over. I'm only in year 10.
Does anyone know any work experience or volunteering that I could do?
Thank you, all suggestions are appreciated (:
Oh okay! Thank you a lot. (:
Hello, I am currently looking for a medical internship abroad where i can get hands-on work experience in the medical field as I would like to study medicine in university.
Due to the current situation with covid, i am not sure i will get into uni this year for medicine as even though my predicted grades are good enough, my performance in year 13 hasn't been the best, so i would like some time away focusing on medicine so i can apply in 2022 with a good personal statement and work experience which they like.
Anyway, i have tried to look for places that offer this for teenagers or people with no uni education and it seems to be very hard. I have searched and searched and for the ones which seem like they do take people my age, when we get to the interview, they have to utnr me down as I have no university education.
Does anyone know of any website or company that can offer work experience for people my age? preferably abroad (not in UK). I don't mind what the price for it is as for now just want to find as many places as possible.
many thanks,
antonia
Reply 50
Original post by varnaser1
Hello, I am currently looking for a medical internship abroad where i can get hands-on work experience in the medical field as I would like to study medicine in university.
Due to the current situation with covid, i am not sure i will get into uni this year for medicine as even though my predicted grades are good enough, my performance in year 13 hasn't been the best, so i would like some time away focusing on medicine so i can apply in 2022 with a good personal statement and work experience which they like.
Anyway, i have tried to look for places that offer this for teenagers or people with no uni education and it seems to be very hard. I have searched and searched and for the ones which seem like they do take people my age, when we get to the interview, they have to utnr me down as I have no university education.
Does anyone know of any website or company that can offer work experience for people my age? preferably abroad (not in UK). I don't mind what the price for it is as for now just want to find as many places as possible.
many thanks,
antonia

Many med schools positively discourage and frown upon what they call Work Experience Tourism. Travel is not a good idea at present and paying for these things is never encouraged, nor necessary.
Look for local volunteering opportunities, eg at a Care Home, in Hospital, at Homeless Shelters, Soup Kitchens, Mental Health Support Groups, etc etc. This is the type of stuff med schools like to see and will give you lots to talk about at interview, as well as content for your PS
I'll not say who my interviewer was. You could prepare some bullet points for the topics mentioned so you have something to say about everything. I know it's difficult but try not to stress too much - just have an understanding of the role of the vaccinator and why you'll be suitable for it. Good luck!

Hi! Me again - it went really well! When did they get back to you?
Hi! Me again - it went really well! When did they get back to you?

That's great to hear! They got back to me on the same day as my interview
Reply 53
hi, i was wondering if anyone knows a way to get medicine related work experience given the current circumstances. i am in year 12 and am going to be applying for medicine in october. i had work experience booked for last summer, however that didn't go ahead and i cant see it being rescheduled anytime soon so if anyone has any ideas please let me know!
That's great to hear! They got back to me on the same day as my interview

Ah no, mine was on Friday at 4PM... she sounded like she liked me.. ah, ok, thank you!
Ah no, mine was on Friday at 4PM... she sounded like she liked me.. ah, ok, thank you!

Yeah mine was in the morning so that's probably why I heard something the same day. Hopefully you hear on monday!
Reply 56
Hi guys, can anyone advise me what kind of confirmation document should I obtain from my shadowing experience? Does anyone asked for such thing in the past? Should it be a reference letter or just simple confirmation document with the hospital's/doctor's stamp?
Original post by Ami_Ami
Hi guys, can anyone advise me what kind of confirmation document should I obtain from my shadowing experience? Does anyone asked for such thing in the past? Should it be a reference letter or just simple confirmation document with the hospital's/doctor's stamp?

I personally was never asked for these (which is good because I never got them :colondollar:)

It's absolutely worth getting them just in case though. I don't think it needs to be a full reference letter along the lines of "Ami_Ami was a lovely student" but ideally should confirm where, when, with who and have the official stamp I'd imagine?
I was wondering if anybody knew of any medical care work experience or how to find some, i'm thinking about going into midwifery, but any kind of work experience to do with medicine would help. thanks
Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending