The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Work Experience and Voluntary Work [Part 2 of 2]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi
Would you be disadvantaged if you don't get work experience if you're applying for entry 2022? Or is it required?

It depends where you apply to. Some universities such as Keele want you to fill out an R&R form to state what work experience and extra curricular activities you have been a part of. Some universities don’t state that you have to have had any kind of experience but it definitely helps to have some under your belt... especially for interviews. There are virtual work experience programmes that you could do instead (if you’re finding it difficult to find any in person experience) to help gain insight into what being a doctor entails etc. One that I can think of off the top of my head is the Brighton and Sussex programme. A lot of the time universities just want to see how past experiences have helped you develop on your own personal skills like teamwork or leadership etc :smile:
Reply 81
I contacted my local hospitals and haven't heard anything back (yet, hopefully) and the thing is that it's getting worse (COVID) in my country

As others have mentioned, there are virtual opportunities to do work experience as well-in this situation I would advice you to thoroughly reflect on whatever experience you have had as that is always more important than the number of hours of work experience you do.
Reply 82
will you be disadvantaged if you're applying for medicine next October for entry Sept 2022 if you don't have work experience? Or will it be required?

It depends on where you apply, looks like for UCL experience is a very important factor when it comes to selecting for interview
Hi everyone,

Hope you’re all doing well. I’m from the Netherlands and I’ve got a question regarding work experience for my medicine university application coming admissions cycle. At the moment it’s naturally impossible to find work experience in old people’s homes/care homes, but I’ve managed (after lots of emailing) to find a day care center that currently accepts volunteers. More specifically, the day care center is for children till 18 years old with mental and physical disabilities. However, I wanted to ask medics on TSR whether they’d say volunteering with children would be just as beneficial for my ‘medical development’ as volunteering with elderly people would be? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Max
Original post by becausethenight
It's not really "work experience" since you're not shadowing a doctor, but it's definitely a good experience you could discuss at interview!
I think Warwick would count it towards their hours if you're a grad but you should check.

Yeah Warwick was the reason I'm asking for pretty much. I'll send them an email eventually and find out
Reply 85
Would volunteering + online work experience make up for not having in person work experience?
Reply 86
I already have done some volunteering and managed to get a volunteering placement till the end of the year and done online work experience, I contacted some hospitals but I haven't heard back that's why i'm a bit worried
Not really work experience. Definitely volunteering though
Original post by MaxOxMed
Hi everyone,

Hope you’re all doing well. I’m from the Netherlands and I’ve got a question regarding work experience for my medicine university application coming admissions cycle. At the moment it’s naturally impossible to find work experience in old people’s homes/care homes, but I’ve managed (after lots of emailing) to find a day care center that currently accepts volunteers. More specifically, the day care center is for children till 18 years old with mental and physical disabilities. However, I wanted to ask medics on TSR whether they’d say volunteering with children would be just as beneficial for my ‘medical development’ as volunteering with elderly people would be? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Max

Hi Max,

Short answer, it is absolutely as relevant. I did not have any experience in care homes, but like you I volunteered in a school for children with severe special educational needs. Firstly, I seriously recommend it, I think you will find it a genuinely rewarding process. Secondly, the key with volunteering that you can demonstrate insight and understanding into the challenges and requirements of working in the caring profession. As long as you can do this, you will have satisfied your requirement.

During my medical interviews, I talked about how I had to adjust my tone of voice, I had to squat down to ensure I was at eye-level when communicating, and I had to use lots of hand gestures and other non-verbal reasoning cues when speaking to SEN children. Interviewers seemed to like this because it showed I had understood some of the difficulties and had come up with some solutions when communicating.

I hope this helps, please do message if anything is unclear or you have any other Qs.

James 😊
Y2 Oxford Medical Student
Medic Mind
Hey there :smile:

I'd say this would be excellent volunteering, but not necessarily work experience. None the less, this would be highly valuable to your application and I highly recommend doing it. Aside from being an excellent thing to do that will help many people, this would provide you with the opportunity to talk about the organisation of the NHS, how you can communicate effectively to members of the public, and generally how you can operate successfully in a team. I'd say that med interviewers would be highly impressed if you could communicate any of the above.

Hope this helps!

James 😊
Medic Mind
I already have done some volunteering and managed to get a volunteering placement till the end of the year and done online work experience, I contacted some hospitals but I haven't heard back that's why i'm a bit worried

Hey khalid :smile:

Please don't stress about this, there's no reason to worry. Your concerns are going to be shared by lots and lots of other people out there, and medical schools will be well aware of the difficulties involved in the application process this year. Reiterating what's already been said, do the best you can, but as long as can talk about what you've learned from what you have got, you'll be fine.

Hope this helps! Any other Qs let me know.

James 😊
Medic Mind
Reply 91
Why is work experience required? What I mean is what do medical school generally expect you to get or learn from your work experience? Is it the role of everyone in a hospital? Or what exactly should you do and not do when you're treating someone? Basically what should you emphasize on when reflecting on your work experience?
Why is work experience required? What I mean is what do medical school generally expect you to get or learn from your work experience? Is it the role of everyone in a hospital? Or what exactly should you do and not do when you're treating someone? Basically what should you emphasize on when reflecting on your work experience?

Effectively, it’s so you know what you’re getting yourself into: what you’ll be doing all day as a doctor, what it means to be one, and the environment you’d be working in.
Reply 93
Original post by becausethenight
Effectively, it’s so you know what you’re getting yourself into: what you’ll be doing all day as a doctor, what it means to be one, and the environment you’d be working in.

Thank you
Reply 94
Thanks for the previous replies!

I have the next question. Do you guys talk about negative experiences during a shadowing? I observed a lack of teamwork between a physician and a nurse (something personal was going on between them) and I saw how it directly affected the quality of patient care. Should I mention it during the interview and reflect on that or it's better to avoid this kind of stuff?
Original post by Ami_Ami
Thanks for the previous replies!

I have the next question. Do you guys talk about negative experiences during a shadowing? I observed a lack of teamwork between a physician and a nurse (something personal was going on between them) and I saw how it directly affected the quality of patient care. Should I mention it during the interview and reflect on that or it's better to avoid this kind of stuff?

100%, that sounds like a perfect thing to talk about!
For context, I talked about feeling scared of a patient at 2/4 or 3/4 interviews I think and each time, that was when I felt the interviewer go "oh, this one knows what they're talking about" - obviously that was just my perception at the time but it certainly won't cost you offers.
I was wondering if there were any ways to volunteer in places when you are interested in medicine. I am 15 and most places say have to be 16 or older.
Original post by eunice31
I was wondering if there were any ways to volunteer in places when you are interested in medicine. I am 15 and most places say have to be 16 or older.

If not already mentioned, try looking at St John Ambulance cadets.
Original post by EricAteYou
If not already mentioned, try looking at St John Ambulance cadets.

Hi!

I just saw your post and coincidentally I was looking into joining St John's Ambulance Cadets just the other day! Were you part of your local SJA cadet unit and if so, would you recommend it? Thanks for your help.
Original post by Buddingdentist08
Hi!

I just saw your post and coincidentally I was looking into joining St John's Ambulance Cadets just the other day! Were you part of your local SJA cadet unit and if so, would you recommend it? Thanks for your help.

So I'll preface this with two things: I'm part of SJA, but never a cadet unit and I don't study any medicine/dentistry/etc. degree.

I'm part of my universities SJA unit and I love it. I got involved in my second year of university (I'm final year now) and I've had so many interesting experiences, learnt skills I would never have otherwise and been part of events/volunteering that has challenged me in great ways.

I know people involved in cadets, both leaders and people who grew up through cadets, and they loved it. I know the pandemic (like everything) has complicated what they can do and the trainings etc., but I'd still recommend having a look. I know some cadets are helping logistically with vaccination training events etc., but hopefully soon they'll be able to go back on events.

From speaking to people, they've had some really unique opportunities they wouldn't have got otherwise - but that's true for all of SJA, from cadets up to First Aiders, Advanced First Aiders etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending