The Student Room Group

Enormous dilemma..

A vacancy for a HCA has come up on the NHS jobs website in my local hospital, no experience required, which is rare. This would be very very useful for my medicine application as I could talk about it in interviews. It's in dermatology which suits me and I think I'd enjoy it. I don't enjoy the job I'm in (ASDA) at the moment BUT It's full time, whereas the HCA job is only 20 hours. I basically NEED full time money. I have a £1000 debt to pay to my mother and I want to go travelling in April time. On about £400 a month from the HCA job I don't know if I could manage to get enough cash together. :s-smilie:

Any help/suggestions?
Go with the HCA job - it'll be better for you in the long run.
Reply 2
Apply for the HCA job - you've got nothing to lose. You might not even get an interview, it just depends on who else actually applies! If you do get an interview then you can decided whether or not to go further with the application.
(By the way I'm not saying that to be pessimistic, it just took me loads of applications to get my current job in the NHS and a lot of them I didn't get interviews for . And I do have experience too)
Good luck!
I'd go with the HCA job, at least apply anyway. It's good experience and there's nothing to lose by at least sending off the application. The NHS seems to be very difficult to get a job in (as I am now finding out!!) And if you get it and it's not going to be enough money you could get another job like in a shop for example and just work saturdays or weekends or whatever would suit. You could speak to your boss at asda and see if they would be willing to change your contract.
Reply 4
Just apply and see what happens.

In the mean time try to find a second part time job or a full time HCA job
Reply 5
Why didn't I think of that? I could just change my hours at ASDA to make up the money. Thanks a lot.
Anybody doing a HCA job and can tell me if it's any good? Enjoyable? Worth it? What tasks do you do?
Reply 6
Get HCA, or just go to Human Resources and ask to work on BANK!

Thats what im gonna do. :biggrin:
Reply 7
cchilstonev1
Why didn't I think of that? I could just change my hours at ASDA to make up the money. Thanks a lot.
Anybody doing a HCA job and can tell me if it's any good? Enjoyable? Worth it? What tasks do you do?

Wash old people, feed people, give them medication and meals!
Reply 8

If it is dermatology outpatients then your role would be to ensure that clinics run smoothly. That mostly entaitles carring sets of notes from A to B, making sure that patients find their way to the consultation rooms at the right time and tidying the rooms after. You spend a good deal of time pacifying an an engry mob when you have to announce that clinic in running an hour late or worse. From time to time you may be asked to chaperone doctors. Depending on arregments you may be trained to do additional tasks like phlebotomy.

If it is inpatients ward (does dermatology have those?) then it would be washing, feeding, taking obs, restocking, bit of cleaning, serving meals, answering phones.

I have been working as a HCA on the bank for over 3 years now. There have been some great moments and times when I could just sit and cry with frustration (picture yourself looking after 20 people on erderly care ward in the middle of c diff outbreak). Overall it has been ok.
Reply 9
im working as a hca at a surgical ward at a hospital at the moment.

I have to admit, its not an easy choice.. especially when there are debts to be paid! my plan initially was to work full time until april/may next year before travelling, but i guess i will be rather limited in terms of travel locations as the HCA pay is pretty low. I did regret it slightly at first, but the experience ánd insight ive gained into a medical career has really been a good eye-opener.
Reply 10
HCA job and try to get part time job somewhere else.

simple
Cleaning/Weekend Work etc. to boost hours and money.
Reply 12
When you are employed by the trust it shouldn't be that difficult to get on the books with the nursing bank and start picking overtime by working additional shifts on other wards. Extra money and additional experience.
jjkkll
Get HCA, or just go to Human Resources and ask to work on BANK!

Thats what im gonna do. :biggrin:

do you have experiance and if not which nurse bank are you applying to as all i can find want 6months experiance
Reply 14
brokenangel
do you have experiance and if not which nurse bank are you applying to as all i can find want 6months experiance

the trust i am applying to want 3 months experience which i already have!

I'm applying to the Barnet and Enfield Trust
jjkkll
the trust i am applying to want 3 months experience which i already have!

I'm applying to the Barnet and Enfield Trust

ah thanks anyway
Reply 16
brokenangel
ah thanks anyway

Do you have no experience at all?

Cos if you can get a reference even voluntary on a ward will count.
jjkkll
Do you have no experience at all?

Cos if you can get a reference even voluntary on a ward will count.

Hmm i didnt no that yeah i have a year volunteering on a ward

Latest

Trending

Trending