The Student Room Group
Ravensbourne University London
London

Ravensbourne low Uni rankings?

Hello!

I am very interested in the courses at Ravensbourne uni, and they seem fantastic on paper - however, I am very concerned by the low rankings the Uni has?

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

It's literally last on here, and doesn't show at all on the Guardian rankings? Is there a reason for this (I know the university is relatively new, perhaps that's why?)

I am pretty set that I will be going to Ravensbourne, but this has (understandably) made me rather concerned. Does anyone have any feedback?
To be fair, I haven’t actually heard anything good or bad about the university. Also, the ranking list that you provided is only 1 of many.

Why have you chosen to go to that university?
London
Reply 2
Thanks ItsJcesar for the reply!

Ultimately it's extremely close to where I live, so i can stay at home - and the open day for it made the course I'm interested in seem fantastic. However, like you I've not really heard anything about it and I'm a bit nervous it may just be rose tinted glasses.

That was only one example, on the others it is also very low (or doesn't even show). I think I read it only became an official uni (rather than a college) in 2018, so maybe that has something to do with it? I'd just like to really know as it does seem concerning.

Original post by ItsJcesar
To be fair, I haven’t actually heard anything good or bad about the university. Also, the ranking list that you provided is only 1 of many.

Why have you chosen to go to that university?
You can look at the detailed data behind the league tables for your course on the discover uni website. That will give you a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of that individual course and then you can decide whether the weaknesses are something that is an issue for you
Original post by Lololala7
Thanks ItsJcesar for the reply!

Ultimately it's extremely close to where I live, so i can stay at home - and the open day for it made the course I'm interested in seem fantastic. However, like you I've not really heard anything about it and I'm a bit nervous it may just be rose tinted glasses.

That was only one example, on the others it is also very low (or doesn't even show). I think I read it only became an official uni (rather than a college) in 2018, so maybe that has something to do with it? I'd just like to really know as it does seem concerning.

Ok that’s a fair point to make. Moving away from home can be really expensive so I can agree with that. 2018 is fairly new, and if there is no reviews on the internet, then it’s really just a leap of faith isn’t it. There will be lots of individuals making claims that a university does not matter, it’s the degree that you obtain. However, I disagree with that. Additionally, the university has not built up an academic history to use as leverage.
In my opinion, there are plenty of universities in London, and to go to a university that does not have an academic reputation may not be worth it. A trip from Greenwich to central London is literally 45 minutes. That’s relatively a short commute time. Additionally, if it’s a new university, they may offer fee reductions or something like that?

For example, university college croydon offers degree’s for a cheaper price compared to normal universities. That is because they don’t have a academic reputation.

Ultimately my opinion is only my opinion. I suggest you do more research in reviews about the university.
Reply 5
Thank you guys for the replies! I've been looking very much into Ravensbourne but I really just can't seem to find anything online (or really even on here, a lot of posts are from years and years ago from when it was just a college, I assume?). I have been stalking a lot of former grads on Linkedin, however, and they seem to be doing well on average? As you said, it really is a leap of faith.

The open day for it really drew me in - also it is digital creative university (the area I will be trying to go into) which appealed to me alongside it's close nature.

Looking into the discoveruni page for the individual courses, they seem quite high (94% overall satisfaction for the 2 courses I'm looking into), so maybe I'm just being worried for nothing? How does discoveruni get its data, and why is the satisfaction on there so high compared to the low ranking on the others? It's just a very big decision and I want to be sure haha! I am, obviously, applying for 3 other courses from 3 separate uni's on UCAS, so I guess we'll just see what I get..
Original post by Lololala7
Looking into the discoveruni page for the individual courses, they seem quite high (94% overall satisfaction for the 2 courses I'm looking into), so maybe I'm just being worried for nothing? How does discoveruni get its data, and why is the satisfaction on there so high compared to the low ranking on the others? It's just a very big decision and I want to be sure haha! I am, obviously, applying for 3 other courses from 3 separate uni's on UCAS, so I guess we'll just see what I get..

Discover Uni is the government site providing the data that's used by the league tables - the league tables don't rank individual courses though they look at all students together (and they don't just look at student satisfaction they look at drop out rates and graduate employment too - as well as some other things that aren't on discover uni like the % of graduates getting a high degree classification and the spend/student and staff/student ratios).

If you like the course content and the location and there's nothing on discover uni that worries you then don't worry too much about the ranking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending