The Student Room Group
I would make a substitution.
What is the relationship between sinx and cosx? Can you see that you have something in the form: k[f(x)]nf(x) k[f(x)]^n f'(x) . Can you guess what differentiates to give that (and then actually differentiate to see how well it works)?
Reply 3
yeah that was what i was thinking... so shall i let cosx = u
But you'll still be left with a term of sin x. Is there another, better substitution?
Reply 5
let u= sinx?
Reply 6
Bear in mind that 2sin^2 (x) = something that makes matters much easier. (Think double angle formula)
u = sin x will work. Daniel's method is what you'll probably use after some practice and the anti-derivatives are obvious.

aKarma
Bear in mind that 2sin^2 (x) = something that makes matters much easier. (Think double angle formula)

Huh? I can't see how considering the double angle formula will make this easier.
Reply 8
aKarma

Huh? How does that simplify it?

Recognition is the by far easiest, and u=sinx if you're not able to.
Reply 9
nota bene
Huh? How does that simplify it?

lol

Sorry about that, I hadn't really thought that through, just saw the 2sin^2 (x).

:dunce:
Reply 10
the result i get is 2sinx - (2/3)sin^3x + c

is that right folks?
JohnKennedy
the result i get is 2sinx - (2/3)sin^3x + c

is that right folks?

No, where does the 2sinx come from? (plus there's still a sign error)
Reply 12
Think about the differential of sin^3 x....should look vaguely familiar :p:

The approach I'm thinking of is usually called 'integration by guesswork' or 'integration by inspection' - can be handy sometimes.
Reply 13
sorry i made a foolish mistake;

i now get (2/3)sin^3x + c

i think that's right...
Reply 14
Yep, you can solve it via exact integral, or you can rearrange 2sin²xcosx to -[(cos3x-cosx)/2]...

which integrates to...

-1/6 sin3x + 1/2 sinx + c

Which of course is exactly the same as (2/3)sin^3x + c

If Im not mistaken, that is a part of one of the integrating factor questions. On differential equations on FP1....

Latest