The Student Room Group

Criminal record and Nursing - can it be done ?

Hi everyone, I’m after some advice regarding applying for nursing with a criminal record.

In 2014 I was convicted of deliberately failing to notify my council of a change in circumstances leading to an overpayment of benefits.
What had actually happened was that I’d informed all of the relevant agencies I thought I needed to and assumed the I formation would be shared with other departments. I was on a very low income at the time and entitled to every penny I received anyway if that makes sense.

Anyway, the court accepted that I’d not acted deliberately but only so I’d plead guilty to just failing to notify and not deliberately failing to notify. I got a fine and my conviction became spent a year later. In terms of enhanced dbs checks though it won’t be filtered from my criminal record until the end of 2025.

I am currently working in the NHS in a very responsible admin position and I was risk assessed by my trust for this and found to be no risk. I’ve been there for 2 years now with no issues.

I want to start an access course in Sept and go on to do either children’s or mental health nursing. I know if a conviction is within the last 5 years then a university will have you in for an extra interview and then make a decision, but does anyone know what happens if the conviction is older than this ?

Obviously I’d need an enhanced dbs for placements.
I’d be starting uni in Sept 2022 and qualify a few months before my conviction becomes filtered and I’m really hoping that this and the fact that I already work in the NHS will give me a good chance of success.

Does anyone have any experience of this ??

Many Thanks 😊
Original post by Emz78
Hi everyone, I’m after some advice regarding applying for nursing with a criminal record.

In 2014 I was convicted of deliberately failing to notify my council of a change in circumstances leading to an overpayment of benefits.
What had actually happened was that I’d informed all of the relevant agencies I thought I needed to and assumed the I formation would be shared with other departments. I was on a very low income at the time and entitled to every penny I received anyway if that makes sense.

Anyway, the court accepted that I’d not acted deliberately but only so I’d plead guilty to just failing to notify and not deliberately failing to notify. I got a fine and my conviction became spent a year later. In terms of enhanced dbs checks though it won’t be filtered from my criminal record until the end of 2025.

I am currently working in the NHS in a very responsible admin position and I was risk assessed by my trust for this and found to be no risk. I’ve been there for 2 years now with no issues.

I want to start an access course in Sept and go on to do either children’s or mental health nursing. I know if a conviction is within the last 5 years then a university will have you in for an extra interview and then make a decision, but does anyone know what happens if the conviction is older than this ?

Obviously I’d need an enhanced dbs for placements.
I’d be starting uni in Sept 2022 and qualify a few months before my conviction becomes filtered and I’m really hoping that this and the fact that I already work in the NHS will give me a good chance of success.

Does anyone have any experience of this ??

Many Thanks 😊

Hey

Did you manage to start the course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending