The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering - need some help choosing universities

Hi all,

I'm applying for Chemical Engineering '09, but I'm unsure as to which universities to mark down on my list. I'm a sociable person but my priorities aren't going out drinking and I'm not too interested in going clubbing either; I much prefer going out to have a sandwich with friends, cinema, sports, videogames, etc. :p: A fairly critical thing would be to have a decent mountainbiking scene at that location as it's my favourite hobby, but if the city and university makes up for it in other aspects then I don't mind if the scene is lacking.

So far I've marked down:

Imperial
Bath
???
???
Edinburgh

I know Edinburgh has some great biking, London is so-so, no idea on Bath, and I've got no idea as to how they rank in terms of the other things I mentioned up there.

The following universities have chemical engineering:
Birmingham
Manchester
Nottingham
Sheffield
UCL
Loughborough
Leeds
Surrey

Manchester seemed to place a lot of focus on the business side of engineering as well, something which doesn't interest me, so it slipped down a little in my "ranking" - not to say I won't consider it though. Apparently Birmingham has some good DH mountainbiking, same goes for Leeds but even better in this sense.

I'm leaning towards marking down Leeds and _maybe_ UCL, but I'm not sure what Leeds is like in terms of other aspects which exclude biking (prices, safety, social life, etc). Obviously, the cheaper the better, but within reason. :wink:

Thanks ever so much, we're supposed to send our applications off on Monday so I'm a little pressed for time, hence the rush trying to select two more universities. :frown:

Cheers,:biggrin:
-Gabor
Reply 1
Manchester velodrome next to manchester uni - good training in weekdays, then go to lakes at the weekends.
Reply 2
Skycat

The following universities have chemical engineering:
Birmingham
Manchester
Nottingham
Sheffield
UCL
Loughborough
Leeds
Surrey

What about Newcastle (they offer chemical engineering also and are accredited degrees)? Great countryside for biking and, despite the city's immense reputation night-life wise, it's not all about clubbing.

Like Newcastle, Manchester has one or two national parts nearby and some great countryside so it would seem a good choice bikining wise, but is let down by the course. My mountain biking brother would recommend Sheffield.

Loughboroguh is, of course, known for its sport. I'm not sure whether it has a mountain bike club/society though.
'm not sure what Leeds is like in terms of other aspects which exclude biking (prices, safety, social life, etc)

Leeds is often up there in surveys of, and in threads about the "best student cities", so the nightlife will be good, and being a reasonably-sized place it should have alternative social bits to offer too.

I'm not sure what you mean by safety, but I guess the costs aren't particularly high.
Reply 4
DeanK2
Manchester velodrome next to manchester uni - good training in weekdays, then go to lakes at the weekends.

Cool, thankyou!
River85
What about Newcastle (they offer chemical engineering also and are accredited degrees)? Great countryside for biking and, despite the city's immense reputation night-life wise, it's not all about clubbing.

Like Newcastle, Manchester has one or two national parts nearby and some great countryside so it would seem a good choice bikining wise, but is let down by the course. My mountain biking brother would recommend Sheffield.

Loughboroguh is, of course, known for its sport. I'm not sure whether it has a mountain bike club/society though.

I'll definitely look into Newcastle, didn't realise they did chemical engineering - thanks! And thanks to your brother for the Sheffield suggestion, I'll look into that too. :smile:
Juustuburger
Leeds is often up there in surveys of, and in threads about the "best student cities", so the nightlife will be good, and being a reasonably-sized place it should have alternative social bits to offer too.

I'm not sure what you mean by safety, but I guess the costs aren't particularly high.

Good to hear, thanks!
I'm not too sure what I meant by safety either (I guess just the general crime rate and the overall experience of people living there compared to other cities), costs would definitely be an issue as I'm not sure whether I can pull this (moving to England to study there) off, so by choosing Leeds over London I guess I'd be reducing the costs by a fair amount.

Thank you all, much appreciated!
-Gabor
Reply 5
Strathclyde do chemical engineering. And being in Glasgow you have the city lifestyle but you are also really close to the Trossachs and I'm sure there will be some good mountain biking around there.
Reply 6
Skycat

I'm not too sure what I meant by safety either (I guess just the general crime rate and the overall experience of people living there compared to other cities), costs would definitely be an issue as I'm not sure whether I can pull this (moving to England to study there) off, so by choosing Leeds over London I guess I'd be reducing the costs by a fair amount.

Thank you all, much appreciated!
-Gabor

Are you really so concerned about crime? Even places like Nottingham, London and Manchester are safe places, providing you take the usual precautions and have a bit of common sense you should be fine. It's unlikely you'll ever be a victim of crime anyway.

But Leeds, Surrey, Loughborough and Sheffield (plus Newcastle, if you're interested) are probably the "safest" out of those. Newcastle's crime rate is quite low for a major urban area. Loughborough is a campus based uni and you're in a decent area.
Reply 7
River85
Are you really so concerned about crime? Even places like Nottingham, London and Manchester are safe places, providing you take the usual precautions and have a bit of common sense you should be fine. It's unlikely you'll ever be a victim of crime anyway.

But Leeds, Surrey, Loughborough and Sheffield (plus Newcastle, if you're interested) are probably the "safest" out of those. Newcastle's crime rate is quite low for a major urban area. Loughborough is a campus based uni and you're in a decent area.

Less so than I make it sound, I'm not too fussed as long as I don't go to a city which is considered the UK's hellhole or something. :P

Now I'm having second thoughts about marking down 5 chemical engineering options - I'm thinking of marking down 4 and 1 nuclear engineering course; if I change the parts in my personal statement which specifically refer to chemical engineering, do you think it'll be OK? (i.e. do universities mind if they receive a personal statement which only alludes to "engineering" and not the specific type of engineering which you're applying to?).

Thanks!
Reply 8
There are loads of engineering courses (general, civil, electronic, mechanical, etc etc) so having on your personal statement that you are interested in chemical would definitely be an advantage, in my opinion.
machester, imperial
Reply 10
TheOneWho
There are loads of engineering courses (general, civil, electronic, mechanical, etc etc) so having on your personal statement that you are interested in chemical would definitely be an advantage, in my opinion.

Yeah, I guess you're right. How about this: I apply to 4 chemical engineering courses and 1 nuclear engineering one, with a chemical engineering personal statement? I guess only a very low ranking university would accept my application to nuclear engineering if I waffle on about chemical engineering, right? :s-smilie: I guess it'd be attempting to secure a few offers for chemical engineering courses while still giving nuclear engineering a go.
Possibly. But both stem from the same roots, I guess so you could tweak it a bit to include the nuclear engineering one. Don't ask me how though.
Reply 12
TheOneWho
Possibly. But both stem from the same roots, I guess so you could tweak it a bit to include the nuclear engineering one. Don't ask me how though.

Well, I'd be hoping to take chemical engineering as an entry route into the nuclear industry, so perhaps if I state why I'd like to do chemical engineering and then go on to talk a bit about nuclear power specifically, I might be able to pull it off? Hmm. I guess it's still risky, mentioning chemical engineering and all. Maybe I should just stick to 5 chemical engineering choices. :/

Thanks!
It can be done. I somehow managed to write a PS for chemistry and geography. I have no idea how I did it though.
Reply 14
TheOneWho
It can be done. I somehow managed to write a PS for chemistry and geography. I have no idea how I did it though.

:eek: I don't know how you did it but props, that must've been difficult to pull off. I guess I'll just write the personal statement geared towards the nuclear aspect of chemical engineering and hope for the best; thanks for the help!

PS: Did you end up getting offers for both chemistry and geography?
I don't even have it any more to look at, and I can't remember anything that was in it at all. Yeah, I got all unconditionals, but then I did already have the grades and I don't think Scottish universities care too much about statements if you have exceeded the grades they ask for.
Reply 16
TheOneWho
I don't even have it any more to look at, and I can't remember anything that was in it at all. Yeah, I got all unconditionals, but then I did already have the grades and I don't think Scottish universities care too much about statements if you have exceeded the grades they ask for.

Cool, thankyou!

Latest