The Student Room Group

MSc Statistics at UK universities

Hello. I am international currently studying BSc Mathematics at a local university in my country. I am planning to study MSc Statistics next year 2024. These three universities are my choices: Leeds, Lancaster and Glasgow. Which of these universities are the best? I really like Leeds because of the modules offered but I want to hear opinions from other students that did their MSc Statistics at these universities.

Another reason why I choose these universities is because they don't ask for IELTS as a proof for my English (ielts is expensive imo), they do accept O Level English (for Leeds and Lancaster).
Original post by ChikapomLasat
Hello. I am international currently studying BSc Mathematics at a local university in my country. I am planning to study MSc Statistics next year 2024. These three universities are my choices: Leeds, Lancaster and Glasgow. Which of these universities are the best? I really like Leeds because of the modules offered but I want to hear opinions from other students that did their MSc Statistics at these universities.

Another reason why I choose these universities is because they don't ask for IELTS as a proof for my English (ielts is expensive imo), they do accept O Level English (for Leeds and Lancaster).

Hi there,

I am a third year student on an integrated masters in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster uni. I thought I would share some of my experiences with the maths department at Lancaster to see if that could help you at all. Personally, I have found the lecturers to be very supportive and approachable with all of them happy to respond to any email queries that I have. As well as this all lecturers have an open door policy so as long as they have nothing else scheduled you are free to go and discuss anything with them.

Lancaster is known for having a very strong statistics department and one of my favourite modules is actually medical statistics. It may be helpful if you could attend any open days that are coming up (I understand if that is not possible with living in a different country) as it would give you a good opportunity to talk to different academics and see their passion for their research which I think is an important factor when selecting a uni to do a masters with.

Finally, Lancaster is a lot more than just the degree and I don't think I would have done as well so far if there wasn't so much else to do. For example, the university has lots of opportunities for part time work and has over 200 societies to participate in. In addition, it is generally a nice looking campus with different wildlife like ducks that live outside the postgraduate statistics building.

I hope at least some of that may have been helpful to you. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending