The Student Room Group

Warwick Math Fin vs. UCL Comp Fin vs. Toronto University Math Fin

Hi everyone,
I am graduating from Computer Science at KCL with First class and I have three offers to pick from for masters degree. My career goal is to be quant trader/researcher/developer in this order, but I am also seriously considering doing PhD in mathematical finance at Imperial/Oxford (they have this random systems research group that focus on ML applications to fin math). Could you please recommend me which offer I should choose to have better chances of becoming quant or getting accepted to PhD programme?
I personally think the Warwick would be a best option bc of their strong math/statistics department which this course is a part of. UCL seems not mathsy enough, and I have already done CS so computational finance doesn't seem too attractive. Toronto is supposedly not a proper master but a fast track to industry and it should be named risk management course rather than math fin.

TL;DR which course is the best for quant/phd?

Thanks!
I mean based on your descriptions of the courses it sounds like you already know? If the UToronto course is more industry aligned that's probably less suited to your aims of pursuing a PhD in the first instance. And if the UCL course is less suited to developing your background as you want/need for the PhD project(s) you may be interested in doing, then it seems Warwick is the natural fit.

UCL is also somewhat just "OK" for both maths and CS anyway I'd note. It gets a big "bump" in perception due to being in London in those areas and there are plenty of other stronger courses in those areas generally. Warwick specifically is in an entirely different league to UCL for maths by most accounts. It's also very well regarded for CS and its business school, so seems to tick all the boxes.

Obviously do consider that Warwick is a campus uni in a suburb of Coventry so a very different experience to living in London (albeit, undoubtedly cheaper cost of living - no idea how tuition fees compared though). This may or may not be a big deal for you (although Warwick is a target university for investment banks in the UK so routinely has city firms hosting careers and networking events there, so at least that should not be a worry).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I mean based on your descriptions of the courses it sounds like you already know? If the UToronto course is more industry aligned that's probably less suited to your aims of pursuing a PhD in the first instance. And if the UCL course is less suited to developing your background as you want/need for the PhD project(s) you may be interested in doing, then it seems Warwick is the natural fit.

UCL is also somewhat just "OK" for both maths and CS anyway I'd note. It gets a big "bump" in perception due to being in London in those areas and there are plenty of other stronger courses in those areas generally. Warwick specifically is in an entirely different league to UCL for maths by most accounts. It's also very well regarded for CS and its business school, so seems to tick all the boxes.

Obviously do consider that Warwick is a campus uni in a suburb of Coventry so a very different experience to living in London (albeit, undoubtedly cheaper cost of living - no idea how tuition fees compared though). This may or may not be a big deal for you (although Warwick is a target university for investment banks in the UK so routinely has city firms hosting careers and networking events there, so at least that should not be a worry).

Yes, I already have my opinion but wanted to make sure I am right about it. Warwick seems more a target uni for banks/hedge funds. I actually like the fact it is campus, as I want to experience it after living in London heh
Original post by kcl_cs_quant
Yes, I already have my opinion but wanted to make sure I am right about it. Warwick seems more a target uni for banks/hedge funds. I actually like the fact it is campus, as I want to experience it after living in London heh

I think it's probably worth following your intuition here then! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending