The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Official University of Derby Student Life Thread

Want to know what it’s like to live in Derby as a student? This is the thread for you.

We know everyone is different and we’re not all looking for the same thing. This is where you can find out what Derby has to offer.

Ask about the night life and different social activities on offer

Chat about the shopping

Find out where are the best places to eat on a budget are

Learn more about what sports and societies are available for students to get involved in - ran by our Union of Students

And discover the stunning countryside and local parks that are right on our doorstep

You can also take a look at our City and Countryside pages, where we look at what’s on offer and current and former students share their experiences.

We also have an official applicant thread where you can chat about all things Derby and we have a separate thread about our accommodation.
Having been here twice, I would avoid this like the plague! The staff were just out of post grad with little experience in one of my lectures and another one was constantly off sick - so I walked!

We all have different experiences and this one was not for me!
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Hi folks,
I thought it might be a good time to introduce you to our Student Life blog.
This is where our students and graduates share their experiences about what it's like at university. Some of them are specific to Derby but others are more general, such as making lasting friendships, cooking and eating out on a budget and a guide to fees and funding.
I hope you find them useful.
Kind regards.
Toby
Is Derby a safe place for gay people to life? I am really scared that I would be attacked
Original post by Anonymous
Is Derby a safe place for gay people to life? I am really scared that I would be attacked

Hi there
:hello:
Everyone is welcome in Derby.
In 2018, based on Stonewall data, the University of Derby was named 3rd LGBT+ friendliest University of the Year in the Alternative UK University League Table.
We have an array of allies and roles models throughout the University. Equality and diversity is important to us as a university and to our Union of Students.
And Derby has been a Purple Flag city since 2013. This means it is acknowledged for offering an entertaining, diverse, safe, and enjoyable night out.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
All the best.
Toby
Reply 5

Original post by University of Derby
Hi there
:hello:
Everyone is welcome in Derby.
In 2018, based on Stonewall data, the University of Derby was named 3rd LGBT+ friendliest University of the Year in the Alternative UK University League Table.
We have an array of allies and roles models throughout the University. Equality and diversity is important to us as a university and to our Union of Students.
And Derby has been a Purple Flag city since 2013. This means it is acknowledged for offering an entertaining, diverse, safe, and enjoyable night out.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
All the best.
Toby

I've been at Derby since September and despite the uni having pride flags all over the refectory, I've been misgendered consistently and had my deadname put all over my student record and sent to my placements. Definitely feels like the university is just very pinkwashed - flags waving but no real understanding beneath it all.

Just some food for thought.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Routhy
I've been at Derby since September and despite the uni having pride flags all over the refectory, I've been misgendered consistently and had my deadname put all over my student record and sent to my placements. Definitely feels like the university is just very pinkwashed - flags waving but no real understanding beneath it all.

Just some food for thought.

Hi @Routhy
Thanks for that feedback.
I do know that the University is trying to educate staff. It's LGBT+ History Month and we have sessions planned such as LGBT+ awareness training and how to be an ally.
I will pass on your comments.
All the best.
Toby
Reply 7
Original post by University of Derby
Hi @Routhy
Thanks for that feedback.
I do know that the University is trying to educate staff. It's LGBT+ History Month and we have sessions planned such as LGBT+ awareness training and how to be an ally.
I will pass on your comments.
All the best.
Toby

Might be that this training isn't reaching the Chesterfield campus - that's where I'm based
Morning everyone (for those of you in the same time zone as me).
Here's an in case you missed it for you. Our Derby Students (our student social media reps) have put together some cost-of-living top tips in a new thread.
Not surprisingly, it's called: Cost of living - top tips.
Have a great week folks. :thumbsup:
All the best.
Toby
Reply 9

I live in Derby, it's unlikely you will be attacked. Most of the fights are chavs or drunk guys starting fights outside clubs (specifically MooMoos and Bluenote).
When there are attacks they're unrelated to gay hate crimes or anything.

I would suggest staying away from things like canal paths outside the city centre during the early morning; like 3am. And the same with Normanton, though during the day it's fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending