The Student Room Group

Maths integration help please!

Can someone help with these two questions??
Reply 1
image.jpgimage.jpg
Original post by helpme111
Can someone help with these two questions??

What have you got so far/what are your thoughts? :smile:
Reply 3
For the first one I was thinking of just integrating it as normal however I don’t understand what it means by k as independent. For the second one I have integrated it however if doesn’t look like 32/15( 2+sqrt2)
For the first one I was thinking of just integrating it as normal however I don’t understand what it means by k as independent. For the second one I have integrated it however if doesn’t look like 32/15( 2+sqrt2)

K being independent basically means that there won’t be a k in your answer for part a (it cancels out), so yeah integrate as normal
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by laurawatt
K being independent basically means that there won’t be a k in your answer for part a (it cancels out), so yeah integrate as normal

image.jpg
Okay I’ll try that, this is what I tried to do for the second one but im not sure what to do next?
image.jpg
Okay I’ll try that, this is what I tried to do for the second one but im not sure what to do next?

Looks like your trying to use product rule for this I think? Product rule is only for differentiation, not integration :smile:
I’d try a substitution?
Reply 7
Original post by laurawatt
Looks like your trying to use product rule for this I think? Product rule is only for differentiation, not integration :smile:
I’d try a substitution?

Ohh sorry I should have checked my answer properly thankyou!
integration by parts would work, just turn your v to dv and integrate v.
Reply 9

For the first one you don't need to integrate at all - if your limits are k and 3k then you should be able to make a simple substitution that will turn the limits into ordinary numbers and will also simplify the integrand so that you can see that the result doesn't depend on k.
Reply 10
image.jpg

Not sure what you're doing there but if you try u = x + 2 then you basically have to integrate u^1/2 x a linear bracket which you can just expand and integrate as normal. The answer comes out with a bit of fiddling with root(2)'s and fractions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest