The Student Room Group

Selection of five universities for UCAS application

Please enlighten me on selection of 5 uni. in maths stream (pure and mechanics) in UCAS application if I prioritize best chance of getting a job at the end.
Original post by Vihara samara
Please enlighten me on selection of 5 uni. in maths stream (pure and mechanics) in UCAS application if I prioritize best chance of getting a job at the end.

Maths graduates have very good employment rates and have one of the highest starting salaries.

Where to apply is dependent on what grades you will get and the amount of risk you wish to take.

To stand a decent chance of getting into places like Cambridge and Imperial you will likely lead 3 A*s including Further Maths and the top level in STEP.

Just below these will be places like Durham and Warwick where you will likely need 2 A*s including FM and possibly Step.

Outside of this most universities are likely to make offers if you meet the entry requirements.

As I have already said the top Maths universities are hugely risky and could well end up with rejections. For that reason it is advisable not to take too many risks although that is something worth considering.

I would suggest 1 or 2 high risk universities then at least 2 where you have a good chance like Bath and Exeter then 1 choice just below as an insurance.

You need to check courses in detail and the locations before applying to universities that are right for you.
Reply 2
Thank you very much. Your answer has given me a good insight.
What about applying University of Nottingham as my mid way option.
Thank you very much. Your answer has given me a good insight.
What about applying University of Nottingham as my mid way option.

It sounds OK provided you meet their entry requirements. It isnt like Imperial which is mega competitive.

A*AA/AAA/A*AB at A level including A level mathematics at grade A*/A (or equivalent). Applicants may be asked for one of: A* in A level mathematics, A in A level further mathematics or A in AS level further mathematics. STEP is not required but may be taken into consideration when offered.
Reply 4

If job prospects is a priority then have a look at Bath. They send around 120 of their MMaths students out on a year in industry placement each year which may be of interest to you.

Hi there,

I am a third year student on an integrated masters in Mathematics & Statistics. Lancaster university is ranked 11th in the UK for Mathematics (The Complete University Guide 2023) and 23rd for graduate prospects. However, it is important to note that a large proportion of our maths students go on to further study (close to 30%) rather than gradate roles.

I think it is also important to consider that getting the best possible grade is one of the most helpful parts of graduate prospects. Therefore, picking a lower ranking university that you feel you would be more happy and supported at may be a better option in some cases.

I hope at least some of that may have been helpful to you. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest