The Student Room Group

vectors question

Hi, I am stuck on how to start part b of this question. Any help will be much appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
What does the zero cross product signify?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
What does the zero cross product signify?

I'm not sure but does it mean that r-a and b-a are parallel?
Reply 3
Original post by machau
I'm not sure but does it mean that r-a and b-a are parallel?

Yes, so r must lie on the line ...
Do a sketch in 2D. You can pretty much write down the answer by thinking about whats the same and whats different about the triangle area formula.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, so r must lie on the line ...
Do a sketch in 2D. You can pretty much write down the answer by thinking about whats the same and whats different about the triangle area formula.

thank you. can I assume that C is the midpoint of AB, or is that a silly assumption?
Reply 5
Original post by machau
thank you. can I assume that C is the midpoint of AB, or is that a silly assumption?

I guess to answer the question you need to justify/explain it so that its not an assumption, but you're along the right lines. Remember there are two solutions needed.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
I guess to answer the question you need to justify/explain it so that its not an assumption, but you're along the right lines. Remember there are two solutions needed.

ok this makes sense now, thank you!
Reply 7
Im fairly tired, but it looks ok. Depending on what you know/have covered, you may need to explain why r is on the extended line AB, and justify why those choices of C give 1/2 the area. But you must know the level of detail youre expected to give.

Quick Reply

Latest