The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Nursing at Queens...

Scroll to see replies

Hey fifyfo,
I am sorry to hear about your letter :frown: there is an access course at Belfast Met called a biomedical access course with 2 biology modules and a chemistry module that would be a big help to you i think! It is for people who have been out of education for 2 years or more.
I have applied for it just incase I don't get in again this year, this is my fourth time applying :frown:
Keep your chin up girl & everything happens for a reason!
:smile: xoxox
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by edillon
ohhh well good luck for that... its so stressful preparin and goin over questions..well not that they were tricky i answered them like but i had really only prepared for a couple of them the others i had to make up as i went along lol
i have an interview for magee on friday so hopefully that goes better but i really want to go to queens.

Same here interview was fine. The two ladies that interviewed me were lovely they made me feel at ease and the lecturer seemed interested and each time I answered a question she was nodding her head and smiling.... I now have to prepare for my midwifery interview which is on Monday 16th April. Midwifery is my first choice definitely were my passion lies. :smile:
Reply 3082
Original post by skint flint
Same here interview was fine. The two ladies that interviewed me were lovely they made me feel at ease and the lecturer seemed interested and each time I answered a question she was nodding her head and smiling.... I now have to prepare for my midwifery interview which is on Monday 16th April. Midwifery is my first choice definitely were my passion lies. :smile:

so happy for you skintflint (: wish you all the best in getting a place now!! mine is tomorrow eep! how did you find the questions?? were they worded tricky or anything?

xxx
Reply 3083

well happy days for you hopefully it all goes well for you then. what panel wer you on for the interview..i didnt like my interviewers i thought they wer like starin holes in me..i'd rather have ones that look positive and nod and smile because it makes you feel better and more at ease. aye well i would love to do midwifery but im goiny do the nursing degree first
Original post by nicoleio
so happy for you skintflint (: wish you all the best in getting a place now!! mine is tomorrow eep! how did you find the questions?? were they worded tricky or anything?

xxx

1 of the questions had me thinking nicoleio.. when I think back I could have answered the question better.... the question that I was asked I hadnt prepared for... well interview done and dusted now the dreaded wait:frown: Now I have to focus my efforts on my Midwifery interview which I want more than anything.... Goodluck for tomorrow x
Original post by edillon
well happy days for you hopefully it all goes well for you then. what panel wer you on for the interview..i didnt like my interviewers i thought they wer like starin holes in me..i'd rather have ones that look positive and nod and smile because it makes you feel better and more at ease. aye well i would love to do midwifery but im goiny do the nursing degree first

Panel B they were two lovely ladies really nice and chatty.... My friend is a newly qualified Midwife and she got a place on her 3rd attempt. She told me not to go down the Nursing route and not to give up on my dream of becoming a midwife she told me to reapply every year until I get on to the programme...
Reply 3086
Panel B they were two lovely ladies really nice and chatty.... My friend is a newly qualified Midwife and she got a place on her 3rd attempt. She told me not to go down the Nursing route and not to give up on my dream of becoming a midwife she told me to reapply every year until I get on to the programme...

really? there two different rooms there and i thought the other room had more chatty interviewers and that from what i heard sitting outside lol well some people are lucky enough to get on the midwifery course straight away but id like to get the experience of nursing to and then decide whether i want to go on to do midwifery after that...but i say fair play to those who go straight into midwifery it is a big achievment to get straight into so good luck with your interview.
Original post by edillon
really? there two different rooms there and i thought the other room had more chatty interviewers and that from what i heard sitting outside lol well some people are lucky enough to get on the midwifery course straight away but id like to get the experience of nursing to and then decide whether i want to go on to do midwifery after that...but i say fair play to those who go straight into midwifery it is a big achievment to get straight into so good luck with your interview.

Thanks edillon its good to know that Queens will write out in May if we are offered a conditional offer, a conditional reserve offer and a not successful on this occasion. Last year anyone who did not not get an offer were put onto the reserve list. The reserve list gives people false hope... especially those with low interview scores. Anyhow at least we all will know at the end of May what this year holds for us lol x
Original post by fifyfo
Tyronenew, I am replying to you I guess because you are another potential mature student like myself. I got my rejection letter today and am gutted to tell you the truth. The reason being I hadn't done anything academic to the appropriate level in the last 10 years. What's really annoying is that I completed a college course 11.5 years ago way above the level required but that extra year and a half is too much time apparantly. And I have done numerous courses in between. It blows my mind that some 17 year old with absolutely no life experience is considered a better candidate than someone like me with years of experience in a voluntary ambulance association all because I haven't studied to a certain level in 11.5 years. Anyway, just venting really. I'm not having a go at any school leaver who has gotten an interview - congrats to all who have - it's just I am genuinely baffled by the entry criteria. I am considering appealing. Do you think there is any point? Anyway, Tyronenew, I hope your news is better than mine. I am keeping everything crossed for you........

Hi Fififo and all others, as predicted I got my rejection letter this morning with the same wording as yours (Fififo) by the sound of it. I am one of these very sad people that has spent my life taking professional exams and qualifications. I appear to have one within the last 10 years that is accredited to the same standard as an A Level. Then I looked at the application form and notice that it never asked for professional qualifications. Infact after school/college/university there is no mention of qualifications. I think I will contact them and see if there is anything I can do at this stage. Any advice out there would be much appreciated.
Reply 3089
interview in 2hoursss, hearts racing :|
Anyone got an interview on the 21st march??
Reply 3091
Original post by Tyronenew
Hi Fififo and all others, as predicted I got my rejection letter this morning with the same wording as yours (Fififo) by the sound of it. I am one of these very sad people that has spent my life taking professional exams and qualifications. I appear to have one within the last 10 years that is accredited to the same standard as an A Level. Then I looked at the application form and notice that it never asked for professional qualifications. Infact after school/college/university there is no mention of qualifications. I think I will contact them and see if there is anything I can do at this stage. Any advice out there would be much appreciated.

Hey Guys,
So sorry to hear that you got rejections, and I'm really puzzled as to why. I did a degree 20 years ago and have not studied since, but I have managed to get an interview, so that seems really strange.

Did you meet all the A level and GCSE/O level requirements? If you did, I cant see how they can rule you out as no mention of recent study was made in the entry criteria.
Reply 3092
Hey, I have an interview on the 20th was wounder if any one could tell me where u go once u get into the bmc lol was at an interview last year and it was in like wee house down from SU

Thanks
Original post by am40
Hey Guys,
So sorry to hear that you got rejections, and I'm really puzzled as to why. I did a degree 20 years ago and have not studied since, but I have managed to get an interview, so that seems really strange.

Did you meet all the A level and GCSE/O level requirements? If you did, I cant see how they can rule you out as no mention of recent study was made in the entry criteria.

Hi, thank you for your response. I have 9 o'level including Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English at grade A, and 3 a' levels at grade A - so I was pretty sure that there would be no issues with my exams. But I got that wrong. The letter was very specific that the candidate must have successfully studied at A Level standard or above within the last 10 years. You did very well to get an interview.......I hope it all goes well for you.
interview in 2hoursss, hearts racing :|

How did your interview go nicoleio x
Reply 3095
Hi Nicoleio, How did you interview go? I'm very disappointed with mine:frown: I was so nervous and felt like I rushed through the questions, was only in for about 15 minutes!! I am thankful for the oportunity but can't help feeling disappointed :frown:

p.s I'm guessing you are Nicole from my biology class?
Reply 3096
How did your interview go nicoleio x

i think it went okk!! i had panel D, was a man and a woman taking notes, he was one of the lecturers for mental health. they wer lovely and the woman (like you had mentioned) was nodding and smiling as she was writing stuff down!! although i really feel there was so much more I could have said, n maybe didnt answer 100% on some questions:/ but sure! i tried my best and thats all that counts :smile:

xx (thank for asking :smile: )
Reply 3097
Original post by EmmaD123
Hi Nicoleio, How did you interview go? I'm very disappointed with mine:frown: I was so nervous and felt like I rushed through the questions, was only in for about 15 minutes!! I am thankful for the oportunity but can't help feeling disappointed :frown:

p.s I'm guessing you are Nicole from my biology class?

heyy yes emmma its me :smile: from biology! im not dissapointed or happy with mine either (cant see many coming out feeling 100% happy tho), 15mins is an expected amount of time, mine was only about that! i jus came out wishing id added stuff to questions:s-smilie: did you pick mental health first again? which panel did you have?

xxx
Reply 3098
heyy yes emmma its me :smile: from biology! im not dissapointed or happy with mine either (cant see many coming out feeling 100% happy tho), 15mins is an expected amount of time, mine was only about that! i jus came out wishing id added stuff to questions:s-smilie: did you pick mental health first again? which panel did you have?

xxx

Yeah I picked Mental Health first. I had panel c, a guy from mental health asked the questions and a girl took notes. I came out wishing i'd added stuff too! Oh it's gonna be a loooong wait til the end of May!! lol x
i think it went okk!! i had panel D, was a man and a woman taking notes, he was one of the lecturers for mental health. they wer lovely and the woman (like you had mentioned) was nodding and smiling as she was writing stuff down!! although i really feel there was so much more I could have said, n maybe didnt answer 100% on some questions:/ but sure! i tried my best and thats all that counts :smile:

xx (thank for asking :smile: )

nicoleio if its not meant for you this year you can always reapply next year...at least you have the experience of an interview behind you. I am unsure as of what my plans are for this year. My mum has advanced alzheimers disease at the age of 48 and if I am offered a place I can honestly say that I am unsure if I can accept this year.

I am forever meeting up with neurologists, mental health nurses and not forgetting my mummys social worker and looking after my mum is sooo challenging and tiring but rewarding at the same time.

Try not to worry. Think posistively.... and as you said you tried your best and thats all that counts x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending