The Student Room Group

Childcare Grant

Not sure if this is going to make sense, but I'll give it a go. Just looking for some much needed advice. I currently work part time and get universal credit also. I am a single parent to 2 children. I've been accepted to begin a degree in September 2021 and am struggling like mad trying to sort out the childcare Grant. They have declined my application as I am I receipt of the universal credit childcare element (which I need for work). I am aware that I cannot claim both childcare Grant and the universal credit element of childcare at the same time but I need to know how to make one run smoothly on from the other. My letter from student finance claims that in order to be accepted for the childcare Grant I need to provide a universal credit statement which shows that I've stopped claiming childcare from them. Now this can't happen, as I need the childcare for while I work, and am going to continue to do so throughout my degree. In order for a statement to show no childcare I need to not claim back childcare costs for a full month which is completely impossible being a lone parent and on minimum income as it is. Is there anyway around this? I've phoned up and the lady I spoke to was completely unhelpful. Surely mature students move over to childcare Grant from UC childcare all the time. There must be a way that I won't be out of pocket for a month while I pay the fees myself in order for it not to show on a statement? It's took 4 weeks for them to reach a decision, and I'm worried that if Im going to have to self fund childcare for even longer while they look into my application again in September once my course begins. Not sure if any of that made sense but any advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation would be most welcome! I don't want to have to defer for a year until my youngest starts school 😔
Hi!!
I genuinely gave up with childcare grant because you had to jump through so many hoops to get it!! It was easier to use 15 and 30 free hours than it was use the childcare grant! They literally wanted blood sweat and tears to get it! My uni even tried helping and I gave up, worked two part time jobs (my husband and i are still together and we reallllllly struggled financially, many evenings without proper food for me so my son had something) I genuinely think the system is flawed. We have never been eligible for UC but a friend of mine was and she had to stop her UC to then become a student as you cant have both. So she ended up losing out a hell of a lot, she was a single parent too and had to do a swap with a friend and her mum over who has the kids on what days!

I used my 15 hours and 30 hours when he was old enough. Before that, i paid for a private childminder out of my normal loans, using the part time jobs for bills mortgage etc together with husbands wage. They make it so hard for mature students and they wonder why there arent as many of them! this is why!

Good luck! I would suggest, looking for another job you could do, getting friendly now on the uni page with mature students with kids etc, hiring a childminder as they are a lot cheaper than nursery and way more flexible with hours. My son used to go to my mums from 7am - 8.30 and she would drop him at childminders from 9 - 6 and some evenings it would be 7 if traffic was bad, or earlier some days! I started doing evening shifts for work and she would take him then for me! So i would definitely look at a childminder. Mine would even pick him up from mine if i didnt have the car etc!

I made it through and did masters and now im working full time. You will get there in the end but it is bloody hard!
good luck ! x
Reply 2
Hello,

I had the same, I just had to write a cover letter stating that In September the UC childcare elements will stop and I will start using the Childcare grant and they accepted it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending