The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Goldsmiths or Susses

I have applied for MA Gender studies in university of Sussex and MA Gender, media and culture in Goldsmiths, London. Which is better?
I think gender studies is one of the focal research areas of Goldsmiths, so I imagine their course reflects that. Not familiar with Sussex though :s-smilie:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by shreyaaggarwal
I have applied for MA Gender studies in university of Sussex and MA Gender, media and culture in Goldsmiths, London. Which is better?

Hello, thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, myself I have not studied the MA Gender studies; however, as a current Sussex University undergraduate student, overall, I have been pleased with the quality of the tuition and support that I have received throughout my degree. In addition, looking at the course web-pages, the 100% of Communication, Cultural and Media Studies research impact has been rated as outstanding or very considerable in terms of the reach and significance in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014); thus, potentially making Sussex an institution worth of consideration, in regard to the academic and career prospects.

Furthermore, Brighton is a lovely place to live; both in terms of the culturally diverse and welcoming environment, as well as, the attractive scenery. For instance, myself I very much enjoy the long distance walks around the South Downs Park and along the beach - a potentially great way to relax and clear your head after a long day of studies! And, I have had so many opportunities to meet and get to know a vast number of students from all over the world and from a range of different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. I do feel this has considerably boosted my awareness of the social issues and most definitely boosted my communication and networking skills.

Moreover, the huge range of clubs and societies on offer and the availability of the numerous social events throughout the year; on campus and off-campus definitely do add to the university experience!

Overall, I would suggest to think carefully about which university you feel best suits your academic style and your personal needs.

I wish you the best of luck, regardless of where you choose to study! And, please do let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to answer :smile:.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by shreyaaggarwal

Hi @shreyaaggarwal
It's great to hear that you are considering studying Gender studies MA at Sussex, unfortunately I also have not taken the Gender Studies MA course. However, I just wanted to add on to what my colleague has said by emphasising that it can help to establish which factors are the most important to you when it comes to choosing which university and course would be the best for you. One way you could do this is by ranking these factors in terms of how important they are to you. I found that ranking factors in this way helped me to decide which university was going to be the best university for me! I considered factors such as location and specific modules and I found that considering different factors in this way helped making this decision a bit easier.

I hope that this helps and please feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Best wishes,
Merade (Yr 3 History and Politics BA)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending