The Student Room Group

The Official Cambridge Applicants for 2023 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r2016
This is really good. Is there any courses for Engineering? Thanks

The Cambridge Demystified engineering chapter does mention TED talks, which may be of use:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6668306&p=90741052#post90741052
1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?

I’m Scottish (state school) and I am hoping to take maths of mechanics, physics, chemistry and English advanced highers next year (I will already have advanced higher maths taken a year early this year which is a first for my school).

2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?

Computer science (although I am unable to take this at school).

3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE?

All A1 grades at Nat 5 and two highers a year early (maths and English) at A1 grade. (A1 is like an A*)

4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?

Like the more practical computer course.

5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?

TMUA. Looking at past paper papers including MAT and PAT.

6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?

Gold Crest Award in computing completed independently in lockdown. Winner of International Coding competition. (Coderdojo). Online tutor of local coding club - prepare and hold weekly sessions. Taught myself Python and C++, etc….
Took Bebras and qualified for Oxford University computer challenge in which I achieved a merit.

7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?

Work for Google or similar.

8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?

Maybe Jesus?
Original post by Anonymous
1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?

I’m Scottish (state school) and I am hoping to take maths of mechanics, physics, chemistry and English advanced highers next year (I will already have advanced higher maths taken a year early this year which is a first for my school).

Computer science (although I am unable to take this at school).

All A1 grades at Nat 5 and two highers a year early (maths and English) at A1 grade. (A1 is like an A*)

Like the more practical computer course.

5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?

TMUA. Looking at past paper papers including MAT and PAT.

6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?

Gold Crest Award in computing completed independently in lockdown. Winner of International Coding competition. (Coderdojo). Online tutor of local coding club - prepare and hold weekly sessions. Taught myself Python and C++, etc….
Took Bebras and qualified for Oxford University computer challenge in which I achieved a merit.

Work for Google or similar.

Maybe Jesus?

Same poster as above - forgot to add I’m taking four highers and one advanced higher (maths) this year and achieved all A1s in my prelims (mocks).
Reply 63
Original post by Oxford Mum
The Cambridge Demystified engineering chapter does mention TED talks, which may be of use:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6668306&p=90741052#post90741052

Thank you!
I don't have any experience of Jesus or Homerton, but I know someone who studied at Newnham. They have beautiful gardens and are in a tranquil setting, directly opposite the Sidgewick site (handy!) Her mother visited and said it exuded a "quiet atmosphere of girl power". I actually went to offer holder day and was very impressed.

Jesus is a beautiful college, lovely gardens (you can walk on almost all of the grass) and big playing fields - no pretentious scholars' or fellows' gardens either to the best of my knowledge. Lots of near-site accommodation, very highly-rated may ball and probably the best bar. If I could take my open application back (applicants take note: do not submit an open application) and do it again, I'd choose Jesus. They have good food, too.

Homerton is rather a long way out of town (about as far as Girton) so I've never been round, though I intend to at some point. It certainly looks to be a nice college.
For all prospective law students, please read the latest Cambridge Demystified chapter by @Rebeca5782

It's worth reading, even if you do not intend to study law

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488&p=96857175&page=3#post96857175

See post #41
I hope they reconsider you. You have been a great help, offering your assistance to others. Nobody understands how stressful the process is until they have experienced it for themselves.

Thank you, it definitely was stressful to complete whilst doing A-Levels but I really enjoyed the process overall, so hoping to reapply next year! :smile:
Original post by Elisabeth Hughes
Hey! I got pooled and then rejected, but I fit the criteria for August Reconsideration :smile:

Definitely apply!!! I applied via adjustment for reconsideration last august thinking nothing of it and actually got a call the next day saying I got a place at Homerton College. Please make sure you do it in time as I believe that it is open for only a little while on results day.
Maths, further maths, economics and french
Economics
10 9s
I like the mathematical nature of the course, and i'm not interested in management so don't want to do E&M
TMUA - have started doing some practice questions
Read lots of books, done online courses, doing a Cambridge economics taster series, entered essay competitions
I also write for an online economics platform Be an Economist so check us out for economics articles and podcasts. Also if anyone's looking for an economics super-curricular, we're always looking for new members
No idea yet
Either Downing, Emmanuel, Magdalene or St Catherine's
Original post by armaan.shaikh07
Definitely apply!!! I applied via adjustment for reconsideration last august thinking nothing of it and actually got a call the next day saying I got a place at Homerton College. Please make sure you do it in time as I believe that it is open for only a little while on results day.

to do this what criteria do you need to fit?
to do this what criteria do you need to fit?

I believe you need to be in a state school and be in a post code with low university admission.
Original post by armaan.shaikh07

aw man that's so nice to hear, congrats!!! How did you apply through adjustment? I've been going through the website and other comments etc but it doesn't elaborate
Original post by stellaaaw
Maths, further maths, economics and french
Economics
10 9s
I like the mathematical nature of the course, and i'm not interested in management so don't want to do E&M
TMUA - have started doing some practice questions
Read lots of books, done online courses, doing a Cambridge economics taster series, entered essay competitions
I also write for an online economics platform Be an Economist so check us out for economics articles and podcasts. Also if anyone's looking for an economics super-curricular, we're always looking for new members
No idea yet
Either Downing, Emmanuel, Magdalene or St Catherine's

what books have u read and how u finding tmua? im applying to econ aswell
Original post by killianf
what books have u read and how u finding tmua? im applying to econ aswell

I've read Too Big to Fail, Freakonomics, The Great Divide, The Art of Strategy, Why Nations Fail and I'm reading The End of Alchemy at the moment. The tmua hasn't been too bad for the most part, but I definitely need to work on it quite a bit

I already have AAA in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry, but am doing an Access to HE course in sciences (maths, biology and chemistry) this coming academic year, because I want to brush up on my biology and maths as I know it's very useful for psychology.

PBS - I never knew what I wanted to study, but I was always interested in what makes us us, free will and (more recently) the psychological effects of music.

I felt that with the PBS course I had more options than I did with the the EP course at Oxford, I did consider PPL at Oxford, because I also really enjoy philosophy and languages, but I've visited Oxford before and didn't feel "at place" there and the PPL course doesn't feel right to me either.

Depending on the college I might have to do an at interview test, but I'm gonna try my best to avoid those colleges. Only because I haven't had to write an essay since GCSE.

Watched a lot of online lectures and documentaries, read articles, virtual medical work experience (back when I wanted to do medicine), volunteered at a dementia day care centre. Not mind blowing stuff, but a lot of it was just to make sure I wanted to do psychology, because I've changed my mind a lot.

Maybe go into psychological research or teaching?? Maybe I might go on to do neuroscience, but probably not working with patients as I'm not the best people person.

Either Christ's, Corpus or Fitz - most likely Fitz, just seems more like a place that I'd be happy in, just not as attractive as Christ's and Corpus. However I don't care that much about looks as the entirety of Cambridge is stunning.
Hi @Christ's Admissions . I'm an international student who does CIE A levels and am thinking of applying to Christs. I was wondering whether not having Olympiad prizes/medals would disadvantage an application for Mathematics/physical natural sciences, especially because i'm an international student? Does Christs expect its international applicants to have such kind of accomplishments? I'm not chinese/from a country which emphasises olympiads and i'm doing qualifications that are accepted by cambridge. It would be of great help to me if @Peterhouse Admissions @R T or anyone else weighs in as well.
Original post by Anonymous(
Hi @Christ's Admissions . I'm an international student who does CIE A levels and am thinking of applying to Christs. I was wondering whether not having Olympiad prizes/medals would disadvantage an application for Mathematics/physical natural sciences, especially because i'm an international student? Does Christs expect its international applicants to have such kind of accomplishments? I'm not chinese/from a country which emphasises olympiads and i'm doing qualifications that are accepted by cambridge. It would be of great help to me if @Peterhouse Admissions @R T or anyone else weighs in as well.

No. Having Olympiad prizes/medals are just a part of the box ticking exercises - Better to do research into an area of maths/physical natsci that you are interested in. Not everyone gets access to the Olympiads, and the tutors are aware of this.

Here are the Cambridge Demystified chapters for Maths and Physical Natsci to give you an idea of what they did to get in.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6467624&p=88369390#post88369390

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481960&p=88515962#post88515962

I already have AAA in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry, but am doing an Access to HE course in sciences (maths, biology and chemistry) this coming academic year, because I want to brush up on my biology and maths as I know it's very useful for psychology.

PBS - I never knew what I wanted to study, but I was always interested in what makes us us, free will and (more recently) the psychological effects of music.

I felt that with the PBS course I had more options than I did with the the EP course at Oxford, I did consider PPL at Oxford, because I also really enjoy philosophy and languages, but I've visited Oxford before and didn't feel "at place" there and the PPL course doesn't feel right to me either.

Depending on the college I might have to do an at interview test, but I'm gonna try my best to avoid those colleges. Only because I haven't had to write an essay since GCSE.

Watched a lot of online lectures and documentaries, read articles, virtual medical work experience (back when I wanted to do medicine), volunteered at a dementia day care centre. Not mind blowing stuff, but a lot of it was just to make sure I wanted to do psychology, because I've changed my mind a lot.

Maybe go into psychological research or teaching?? Maybe I might go on to do neuroscience, but probably not working with patients as I'm not the best people person.

Either Christ's, Corpus or Fitz - most likely Fitz, just seems more like a place that I'd be happy in, just not as attractive as Christ's and Corpus. However I don't care that much about looks as the entirety of Cambridge is stunning.

Good call - If I applied to Cambridge, I would choose this course!

Here is the PBS Cambridge Demystified chapter...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6641356&p=90439622#post90439622
Original post by stellaaaw
I've read Too Big to Fail, Freakonomics, The Great Divide, The Art of Strategy, Why Nations Fail and I'm reading The End of Alchemy at the moment. The tmua hasn't been too bad for the most part, but I definitely need to work on it quite a bit

How was why nations fail? ive got it but havent started readign yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending