The Student Room Group

The Official Cambridge Applicants for 2023 Entry Thread

Application tips and FAQs from @Peterhouse Admissions: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7281956

Note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this into account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/staying-safe-on-the-student-room

Interviews form
Interviews spreadsheet

Offer Form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfQlxYtYPC0WqmP5zyN3RR-n1wRPkxKPwRioxmLrputN7HCYw/viewform
Offer Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TOMIAfKkQXku3YFW-aeAAZqm329y0JQmm1vPp_vqHS0/edit#gid=1626112932

I know it is REALLY far in advance, but I wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

the University of Cambridge in 2022 for entry in 2023!

(Parents, your thread is here -> https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7212699)

Even though we have only just finished our GCSEs it never hurts to get ahead of the game when thinking about the future, and in particular - Cambridge Applications!
REMEMBER THOUGH: Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

(Thank you to @Xaodo whose 2022 thread I have partially lifted this from)

Don't worry if you haven't done a lot, this is well in advance!

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE?
4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps even a little too far in advance :tongue:
Original post by Theloniouss

Yeah probably tbh, I was just thinking there might be more people applying this year for deferred entry in 2023!!

Seems about average to create the thread in the GCSE summer before/early year 12. The one for 2019 entry was created when we were just going into year 11!
Reply 4
Hi I’m taking computer science, physics and further maths as my a levels in sixth form.
I’m looking for something to do with computer science in uni.
My gcse grades are as following :
Language : 7
Literature : 6
Maths : 8
Science : 9/9
I’m not sure about the which college I want to apply to yet but would love to hear all of your answers to the questions. 😀
(edited 2 years ago)
It's never too early to start thinking about it! Just wanted to flag a couple of our regular webinars that this group might be interested in checking out - including one on Subject Matters (Post-16 subject choices) and our Cambridge for Beginners which is now open to those in Year 11 (or Year 12 Northern Ireland, S4 Scotland). All upcoming dates & booking form over at https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/open-days-prospective-applicants/webinars :smile:
Original post by baNaanaaBread
I know it is REALLY far in advance, but I wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

Even though we have only just finished our GCSEs it never hurts to get ahead of the game when thinking about the future, and in particular - Cambridge Applications!
REMEMBER THOUGH: Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?

1) Physics, Maths and Economics
2)Either Economics, Computer Science or Land Economy
3) My school hasn't told us grades for anything since September
4) I find the topics covered in to courses more compelling.
5) I mainly did Revision
6) Maybe be a financial analyst, software engineer or investment bankeer
7) I'm thinking Christ or Downing
Original post by TheFlash_
1) Physics, Maths and Economics
2)Either Economics, Computer Science or Land Economy
3) My school hasn't told us grades for anything since September
4) I find the topics covered in to courses more compelling.
5) I mainly did Revision
6) Maybe be a financial analyst, software engineer or investment bankeer
7) I'm thinking Christ or Downing

Would strongly recommend taking Further Maths if you're thinking compsci or economics, v mathematical courses :smile:
If you're applying for next year, you might want to check out the following:

Cambridge Newsletter for prospective Undergraduates: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/student-newsletter

Zero Gravity (other mentoring schemes are available): https://www.zerogravity.co.uk/

Cambridge’s events for prospective students: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events

Best of luck with your applications :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Paralove
Would strongly recommend taking Further Maths if you're thinking compsci or economics, v mathematical courses :smile:

Yeah that's the problem my school doesn't offer it :frown:. There is another school that I applied for and I have a conditional offer but its really far and I don't have a lot of money. I'm hoping I'll be able to get the principal scholarship there or a travel bursary to cover costs but if I don't get one I'll have to stay at my current school.
Original post by TheFlash_
Yeah that's the problem my school doesn't offer it :frown:. There is another school that I applied for and I have a conditional offer but its really far and I don't have a lot of money. I'm hoping I'll be able to get the principal scholarship there or a travel bursary to cover costs but if I don't get one I'll have to stay at my current school.

Look into AMSP.
If you're applying for next year, you might want to check out the following:

Cambridge Newsletter for prospective Undergraduates: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/student-newsletter

Zero Gravity (other mentoring schemes are available): https://www.zerogravity.co.uk/

Cambridge’s events for prospective students: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events

Best of luck with your applications :smile:

If I can think of anything to add, I will, but you're doing fine as you are! Thanks for the shout out to Zero Gravity, they really are awesome!

1) Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography
2) Engineering. I love the generalization of the first two years as I'm not really sure which field I want to specialize in.
3) 4A*s, 3As and 2Bs (not the best, but I might exceed 1 or 2).
4) Cambridge seems more inclusive and welcoming and my GCSEs aren't as strong in other non-STEM subjects. Also, Oxford doesn't have a Dyson Centre for Engineering (my first insight I into Oxbridge was from a Fitzwilliam taster session).
5) The ENGAA. I'll probably start preparing for them months in advance with light revision.
6) Lots of research about the course and the supercurricular activities available for Year 11/12. As for my studies, I made things worse by losing motivation, but the experience shed light onto the reality of A-levels - I can't get away with night-before revision. I'm also learning how to improve my study technique and time management to balance 4 A-Levels and an EPQ so I can make up for my poor GCSEs.
7) Join ORI and start my own company.
8) Either Fitzwilliam or Girton - leaning towards Fitz atm.
(edited 2 years ago)

Peterhouse
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by young_gooner2234
Peterhouse

You called?
Original post by Ice.Log
1) Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography
2) Engineering. I love the generalization of the first two years as I'm not really sure which field I want to specialize in.
3) 4A*s, 3As and 2Bs (not the best, but I might exceed 1 or 2).
4) Cambridge seems more inclusive and welcoming and my GCSEs aren't as strong in other non-STEM subjects. Also, Oxford doesn't have a Dyson Centre for Engineering (my first insight I into Oxbridge was from a Fitzwilliam taster session).
5) The ENGAA. I'll probably start preparing for them months in advance with light revision.
6) Lots of research about the course and the supercurricular activities available for Year 11/12. As for my studies, I made things worse by losing motivation, but the experience shed light onto the reality of A-levels - I can't get away with night-before revision. I'm also learning how to improve my study technique and time management to balance 4 A-Levels and an EPQ so I can make up for my poor GCSEs.
7) Join ORI and start my own company.
8) Either Fitzwilliam or Girton - leaning towards Fitz atm.

Hi there,

Here is the Cambridge Demystified Engineering chapter.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6668306&p=90741052#post90741052

Crikey, already? :wink:
Original post by Oxford Mum
Crikey, already? :wink:

Hehe on behalf of all those applying for deferred entry!
Bump
A student from Hong Kong here(stepping into Secondary 5/Year 12 in a few days😁)

1) I'm taking DSE, the official qualification for HK students. Compulsory subjects: Chinese, Liberal Studies, English Language, Mathematics

Electives: English Literature, Biology, Chemistry(we do not have as many choices as a levels)

2) I know my combo might be a little odd, but I'm planning to apply for the English course, cos of its breadth and diversity. We do not have such a flexible EngLit course in HK

3) Okay, it's a little tricky cos we don't have public exams until S6/Year 13, nor have I received any predicted grades. But I guess around 5*~5** (equivalent to A~A*) across the board?

4) I have been to both Oxford and Cambridge, but I went to Oxford during a holiday trip and did not really delve into the uni. On the other hand I went to Cambridge to learn choral singing, so I guess I am more familiar with the vibe at Cambridge and could just relate more to it.

5) ELAT. Read Read Read and Analyse

6) Read Read and Read. Look for analytical essays. Wrote an original novel(not sure if it is actually relevant). Attend lectures, courses.

7) Teaching(inspire people)/further study(would love to take psychology for Masters actually)

8) St John's (I actually posted another thread asking abt St John's days ago), cos of the scholarship specific to HK students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending