The Student Room Group

A-Level Geography NEA

TSR should really allow you to delete threads lmao
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LJ234
I have to finish my Geography NEA by the end of the term and I collected some data today but I don't think it was very effective at all. If I write about what went wrong and how I would change my method would I be able to get a good grade or would it be graded down because my methods of collecting data weren't very useful? I would like to do Geography at uni but for some reason I really struggled to come up with solid ideas for the NEA (I based mine around lichen and pollution). It's too late to change my question.

Hi, I did my NEA a year ago so it might have changed a bit but I am now am studying Geography at uni. I would say as long as you can explain why you got the results you did and how that has impacted your overall investigation i.e meaning you can't answer the key question then I think you are likely to be okay. However, it might be worth just going back if you have time to where you collected your data to do it again if possible, even if it is just one or two things and not all the data methods. However, if it is more to do with the methods you are using just not being useful (i.e. not the right ones) then that's absolutely fine, just explain why they weren't and I can't see why that would down-grade you. Plus the data you have got as long as you explain the results of that well and why you decided to do it then I think you will be fine. The NEA is more to do with the principle of collecting research, not actually the results you get or whether you can answer the question. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by LJ234
Thank you so much, it's put my mind at peace a bit. I think (hope lol) that the main issue is that one of them wasn't the right method (honestly I have no idea what I'm doing cause I don't know much about lichen but my teacher said I should do it)... I'm hoping the other methods I used were okay even though they were mostly qualitative... just out of curiosity, which uni do you go to?

I do question if your method might get marked down if it is clear that the method used was never going to be particularly helpful. From a quick look at the AQA website (other exam boards should be similar), it says for the top level "The methods of field investigation will be detailed and thorough with reasoned justification". If it wasn't the right method, I don't see how you can have a reasoned justification.

Source - https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geography/as-and-a-level/geography-7037/subject-content/geography-fieldwork-investigation
Original post by LJ234
Thank you so much, it's put my mind at peace a bit. I think (hope lol) that the main issue is that one of them wasn't the right method (honestly I have no idea what I'm doing cause I don't know much about lichen but my teacher said I should do it)... I'm hoping the other methods I used were okay even though they were mostly qualitative... just out of curiosity, which uni do you go to?

I'm glad! Maybe just double check with your teacher about it because they should be able to advise you on what to do! I think if its only really one or two methods that might not be applicable then that's totally okay! I did a human geog NEA but collected a lot of data that I didn't even use in my final analysis as it wasn't helpful & still came out with a good mark so try not to worry! Are you more of a physical or human geographer? I remember most of mine were quantitative so as long as you have one or two of each you should be fine. I go to the university of Birmingham. If you ever have any questions or anything about studying geography at uni or particularly uni's (I visited a lot!) then feel free to send me a message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending